Im freaking out man. Did I dig a 55 or 59 wheatie?

Johnathon78

May 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm freaking out man. Did I dig a 55 or 59 wheatie?

Went out today for a quick afternoon hunt at a nearby farmstead. Been swinging roughly 45 minutes when I hit a real nice hi tone on my garrett at pro. Dug and out pops a penny. Threw it in the bag. It's was one of 3 pennies I found today. Took the pennies home and after a short bubble bath cleaning I gazed upon the coin and noticed the coin had the " ears of wheat " style back. These coins were last struck in 1958, thus anything minted thereafter would be a practical original. Turned it over and noticed it was a 1959! Or a 1955.......anyway I'm having trouble reading the date and I need your alls fine input. Did I find a rare, possibly only the second in existence 1959 wheatie? Or is it a standard 1955???? Ps: I stopped cleaning and snapped some pics using my jewelers eye. The last image being the wheat style back. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 6

goldkey

May 21, 2013
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta/Macro Anfibio Multi / Nokta Fors Core /Ace 250 - w/ 9"x12" Coil /
Whites TRX Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked at the 1953 on google and it looks like that's what you have....a 53.
The 9's would look the same....but yours look different from each other. Corroded 53.............of course...I could be wrong.....wouldn't be the first time.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a believer in odds I don't think I'd bet the ranch on it being a 1959. Nice thought but need to be realistic .

OP
OP
J

Johnathon78

May 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed Gaspipe. However there is still that slight chance!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a 1955 wheatie. You can see how the last digit has the same shape as the third digit, the "5". I cropped and brightened the OP's photo so you can see it more clearly.

1959 wheat.jpg

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were a 1959 the two nines would be exactly alike, from your (sorry not bashing) very poor pix, the first pic looks like a 1959 but the last 9 has a closed loop. You really need to borrow a camera that takes better pix or get a third hand with much better lighting to help you click the pix. You probably could get a in focus pic with good light if you take enough pix. Sometimes outside light is much better for those types of pix. Again, don't take my comment the wrong way, this is a very interesting thread, I of course had never heard of a mule cent before. I'm sure if you orient your camera/phone to the right then the pic will come out right, then if you take enough pix, one of them should be a good, well lit pic.

You then could also post it in the coin forum, along with this forum. The coin guys should be allot of help too.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a 1955 wheatie. You can see how the last digit has the same shape as the third digit, the "5". I cropped and brightened the OP's photo so you can see it more clearly.

View attachment 1071268

Yeah, I think you got it right Tim. 1955
Great thread though, very interesting.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm, you learn something new every day. I never knew the first one was in existence. Hard to tell, but I actually think you have a 1953.

I was going to post & am Confident 53 after a little Editing (crop/lighting)

So I agree with David680

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wild coin! It is a 55, but that thing could be deceiving .. If found one a little while back that looked like a coin that wasn't made..but after a good check over..I saw it was just worn in the perfect spots

OP
OP
J

Johnathon78

May 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great replies guys! Great detective work! Reluctantly I believe it's no 55 or 59 but a danged ol 53!

On the flip side this is what I love about detecting! You never know, the one coin u find may be a average ol wheatie or a one of a kind!

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So my 1908 Wheat penny probably isn't a 1908 I'm guessing? My wife is right, I think I do need new glasses!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
1958 (worn/damaged/corroded around the date) or 1950 small 0.
Here are some fantasy coins I just made in Microsoft Paint 10 minutes ago. 1908s.jpg
1900s.jpg

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I did not know there was a 1959 wheat! I hope you've got one that would be awesome!

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The top of the 9 looks kinda squared like the five. Still could be a miss stamp. Tony

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you open the link by david680, the nine looks totally different then the one you found. I think your is a 55.........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread