Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well much like Iron Patch has done with his research, myself and hunthicks have re-visited the way we have been doing research for some early sites and it has paid off with the flood gates opening. Unfortunately hunthicks has only made it out halfway through the hunt for about an hour which he did ok for that time period. The day started out on the wrong foot with no pun intended, but I had forgotten to pack my rubber boots so bought a new pair after wasting an hour of hunting time…
We then decided to try a number of households to obtain permission for the days hunting and future outings. The first place we hit, my first target was a speed the plough token, then a Geo III which I made an agreement with the landowner that I would give him but if I found silver I would be able to keep it, he agreed…Wasn't meant to be as my other detecting partner pulled out a half dime seated Liberty 1856… Not wanting to be followed by the farmer all day we opted to try another site we have been eyeing with our research…Bingo---it ended setting the pace for the day, as over 30 coppers have been pulled between 3 of us, along with some first for me…This New Brunswick Regiment button has been on my list for number of years …Such a great hobby as we don't know what the next find will be…Also got my first counter-stamped Hibernia coin marked AC (believe IP has the same one) and also my first Dutch coin dated 1771. The coins range between early French to Victorian…hard to get some picture off of the crusty coins...I believe we lacked in the button departed due to the longer grass and digging mostly high tones, so it will be a place we will be visiting again in the Spring. Hope to break my silver slump before the end of the detecting season...Love it when research and perseverance pays off…Thanks for looking

apologize for the flipped picture but showing straight here….

Attachments

• NB Regiment.jpg
    NB Regiment.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 644
  • AC.jpg
    AC.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 491
  • AC2.jpg
    AC2.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 322
  • Skilling.jpg
    Skilling.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 321
  • Vic.jpg
    Vic.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 473
  • Group.jpg
    Group.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
Upvote 7

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought for a sec you must have been hunting my display cases! :laughing7: I have dug the same NB Regt. button, the Same 1771 Skilling (Denmark not Dutch) and yes, even the same AC countermark!

Attachments

• 5000.jpg
    5000.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds there Patriot! I know the feeling of waiting for that "one" button...I'm still looking for it...or at least a half decent example!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds there Patriot! I know the feeling of waiting for that "one" button...I'm still looking for it...or at least a half decent example!

So am I! And I've been close twice.

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's some good ground. That's the type of ground I dream about. Who knows whats next.

OP
OP
The Patriot

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever seen that counter stamped coin before? What are the chances of having the same 3 items, curious if any other would have the same group of 3…I mentioned to my detecting partner that early buttons could show up and even that nice token IH has on the banner not long ago…:laughing7:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever seen that counter stamped coin before? What are the chances of having the same 3 items, curious if any other would have the same group of 3…I mentioned to my detecting partner that early buttons could show up and even that nice token IH has on the banner not long ago…:laughing7:

I can't imagine anyone else anywhere having the same three. Too different, and there's not really that many of the AC countermarked coins... so out of the people that have them them, who are no doubt coin collectors, they would not have the button. And for detecting people, it's just a weird three, so out of every who detects I can't imagine it.. with both the AC and Skilling being fairly obscure in our parts.

OP
OP
The Patriot

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The day was good enough but got better when I got home and removed the dirt off that counter marked coin…Maybe my next NB Regiment will have gold gilt like yours… I have a good feeling that there is an early french site there too with the one coin that I did find…Just cleaned up another coin Geo III with the same date as the Skilling 1771

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Patriot

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know the one your talking about and yes on my list too for many many years now...

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Now that's more like it, awesome bunch of finds!

Ok, now I've found the skillings before, I have a NB regiment button(a cuff) and I even think I have a AC counter stamped coin someplace, well, if I don't its close

I know we all hunt similar sites, and if we're only a few hours apart, the chances of us finding similar finds doesn't really surprise me too much

Keep up the great work, this year is starting to shape up nicely

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's more like it, awesome bunch of finds!

Ok, now I've found the skillings before, I have a NB regiment button(a cuff) and I even think I have a AC counter stamped coin someplace, well, if I don't its close

I know we all hunt similar sites, and if we're only a few hours apart, the chances of us finding similar finds doesn't really surprise me too much

Keep up the great work, this year is starting to shape up nicely

I know you have NB Provincials, but that is different than Regt.. The Cladman did find an AC, it's what was on the flip side of his STP. It does actually ring a bell a little you finding an AC, so maybe. And the Skilling, I'm sure there is a few of them around.... so you might be the next closest on the planet! :happysmiley:

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I know you have NB Provincials, but that is different than Regt.. The Cladman did find an AC, it's what was on the flip side of his STP. It does actually ring a bell a little you finding an AC, so maybe. And the Skilling, I'm sure there is a few of them around.... so you might be the next closest on the planet! :happysmiley:

Oh yeah right

OP
OP
The Patriot

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I figured you found enough of them and I would be guaranteed to find one in that display but I would have to get through that attack dog and a shovel to the back of the head...

oh, you guys must be talking the one you come here looking for. Then keep hunting my display case! :tongue3:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The good news is there's little question there's many left at random sites so there is always a chance.

Well I figured you found enough of them and I would be guaranteed to find one in that display but I would have to get through that attack dog and a shovel to the back of the head...

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome artifacts like that just don't turn up down this way. Great finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions