Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went out to hunt a park today and a guy gets out of his truck and walks up to me and asks if I want to go on a treasure hunt.. So I figure he lost his keys or something naturally. He tells me there's an old foundation near by and tells me of the finds he has made by eye and digging out a wall so I go along. We walk back to a very old small crud stone foundation. So I did some swinging and I came up with this flat button that says "double gilt" and what appears to be "NO.. 2" Any info on this button would be great. Also found an old spoon head.
mdfinds 005.JPG mdfinds 003.JPG mdfinds 006.JPG mdfinds 012.JPG

I also found this button at another sight but don't know a thing about it or figure out what it says, Help me out button experts!
mdfinds 007.JPG mdfinds 008.JPG mdfinds 009.JPG mdfinds 010.JPG

Upvote 2
OP
OP
Showtime2385

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost forgot this, Found today with the spoon and button. Almost looks like a splitting wedge?
mdtngfinds 001.JPG mdtngfinds 002.JPG mdtngfinds 003.JPG

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Brass 1-piece flatbuttons with an indented-lettering backmark date from about 1810 into the early-1840s. The backmarks on your two indicate they were made in Britain. Many flatbuttons were imported into the US until the young American button-making industry became capable of mass-producing them, by the late-1820s. So, your British-made flatbuttons most probably date from about 1810 to the late-1820s.

I should also mention... brass 1-piece flatbuttons with a raised-lettering backmark date a bit earlier, starting around 1790 or perhaps a bit sooner.

The term "Double Gilt" on such buttons means they were double-goldplated. I should also mention, at that time the term "Plated" in a backmark meant silverplate.

The "No.2" in your first button's backmark indicates it was made in Britain, perhaps by Joseph Mann of Birmingham England, because some of his backmarks contain that term. Mann was in business from 1800 to 1843, which is during your button's time-period. I think your button with "No.2" in the backmark dates from around 1810, because some 1810 US Navy 1-piece brass flatbuttons have a backmark saying "J. Mann / Rich Orange / No. 4".

Your second button's backmark says "Best Strong" in Old-English lettering... which when seen in backmarks means the button was made in Britain.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Showtime2385

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brass 1-piece flatbuttons with an indented-lettering backmark date from about 1810 into the early-1840s. The backmarks on your two indicate they were made in Britain. Many flatbuttons were imported into the US until the young American button-making industry became capable of mass-producing them, by the late-1820s. So, your London-marked flatbutton most probably dates from about 1810 to the late-1820s.

I should also mention... brass 1-piece flatbuttons with a raised-lettering backmark date a bit earlier, starting around 1790 or perhaps a bit sooner.

The term "Double Gilt" on such buttons means they were double-goldplated. I should also mention, at that time the term "Plated" in a backmark meant silverplate.

The "No.2" in your first button's backmark indicates it was made in Britain, perhaps by Joseph Mann of Birmingham England, because some of his backmarks contain that term. Mann was in business from 1800 to 1843, which is during your button's time-period. I think your button with "No.2" in the backmark dates from around 1810, because some 1810 US Navy 1-piece brass flatbuttons have a backmark saying "J. Mann / Rich Orange / No. 4".

Your second button's backmark says "Best Strong" in Old-English lettering... which when seen in backmarks means the button was made in Britain.

Wow Thanks for all the info!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread