Doc Arey

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2011
Occupied Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 WHITE MXT & NEW VX3 a At Pro and a few others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm at a old Mennonite Church in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia detecting on the church property with Permission. The lawn of the Church is mowed and maintained well and I have found many great relics there. I am detecting with my VX3, my favorite machine when I get the urge to move over just a little into the recent cut corn field which I didn't have permission to hunt. I make just a few swings when Bamm ! I get a great hit. It says it is at five inches so I dig my plug and out pops a beautiful 1944 Merc. I am looking it over when out of the corner of my eye I see a man walking towards me holding papers. I thought " here it comes get ready".:BangHead: He walks up to me, I'm as ready as one can get, and says Great! you're here !. :dontknow: I'm thinking, wow he's not here give me hell and is glad I'm here? He says ok lets go! :icon_scratch: I'm thinking that I'm glad he not mad but where the thunder am I expected to go. He says ok it's over here somewhere lets look and I'm still wondering who is he and what am I looking for? I look at him and say " well I am willing to help you but I need a clue as to what we searching for?" He looks at me and asks aren't you from the surveyor? Nope, just here poking around with my metal detector!:metaldetector: He say's Oh, with disappointment. I say what are you looking for and he replied that the Church has outgrown the graveyard and needed a little more space and shows me the survey plat where he was hoping to find a metal pin. I light up saying that I can certainly help you with that! He rolls out his measuring tape to where he thinks the general area is where the Said unknown pin may reside. I ask how deep do you think it is to which he replies TWO AND ONE HALF FEET!:BangHead:. I say who in the hell would plant a marker peg TWO AND ONE HALF FEET DEEP?? He replies "the plow won't hit it". I think " Sweet Jesus, Guess not at two and one half feet deep!, nothin' will. By this time the surveyors are here and everyone is trying to find this pin, when the light comes on in my head and says to me, it can't be that deep. So I start reprogramming my VX3 to find iron, which ain't what I usually do. I swing for a while and hit this great iron signal and think "hot dog" this is it!":hello2: Well it was a iron pin solid two inches around Laying on it's side.:icon_scratch: I say well maybe the damn plow did hit it?? He says he don't know what it is but it ain't he's pin. Well unwilling to quit, ten minutes later Bamm a solid iron hit eight inches deep!:headbang: I dig down and there it is "the pin" eight inches deep!:laughing7: All around me there is Joy:hello2: I pack up as it is getting late and as I am walking out he shouts "you and your machine are welcome anytime". I was a nice feeling.:tongue3::icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• Silver! 001.jpg
    Silver! 001.jpg
    537.3 KB · Views: 205
  • 348.jpg
    348.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Upvote 25

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story and great finds.
Must be a pretty good feeling to "prove " yourself and end up with ongoing permission.
Congrats.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good story, good coin and some good ol' permission to boot.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good P.R. and you got a merc...great hunt.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hunt is what it's about, the merc was a bonus. And now you have Carte Blanche to hunt there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread