Doc Arey

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2011
Occupied Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800 WHITE MXT & NEW VX3 a At Pro and a few others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm at a old Mennonite Church in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia detecting on the church property with Permission. The lawn of the Church is mowed and maintained well and I have found many great relics there. I am detecting with my VX3, my favorite machine when I get the urge to move over just a little into the recent cut corn field which I didn't have permission to hunt. I make just a few swings when Bamm ! I get a great hit. It says it is at five inches so I dig my plug and out pops a beautiful 1944 Merc. I am looking it over when out of the corner of my eye I see a man walking towards me holding papers. I thought " here it comes get ready".:BangHead: He walks up to me, I'm as ready as one can get, and says Great! you're here !. :dontknow: I'm thinking, wow he's not here give me hell and is glad I'm here? He says ok lets go! :icon_scratch: I'm thinking that I'm glad he not mad but where the thunder am I expected to go. He says ok it's over here somewhere lets look and I'm still wondering who is he and what am I looking for? I look at him and say " well I am willing to help you but I need a clue as to what we searching for?" He looks at me and asks aren't you from the surveyor? Nope, just here poking around with my metal detector!:metaldetector: He say's Oh, with disappointment. I say what are you looking for and he replied that the Church has outgrown the graveyard and needed a little more space and shows me the survey plat where he was hoping to find a metal pin. I light up saying that I can certainly help you with that! He rolls out his measuring tape to where he thinks the general area is where the Said unknown pin may reside. I ask how deep do you think it is to which he replies TWO AND ONE HALF FEET!:BangHead:. I say who in the hell would plant a marker peg TWO AND ONE HALF FEET DEEP?? He replies "the plow won't hit it". I think " Sweet Jesus, Guess not at two and one half feet deep!, nothin' will. By this time the surveyors are here and everyone is trying to find this pin, when the light comes on in my head and says to me, it can't be that deep. So I start reprogramming my VX3 to find iron, which ain't what I usually do. I swing for a while and hit this great iron signal and think "hot dog" this is it!":hello2: Well it was a iron pin solid two inches around Laying on it's side.:icon_scratch: I say well maybe the damn plow did hit it?? He says he don't know what it is but it ain't he's pin. Well unwilling to quit, ten minutes later Bamm a solid iron hit eight inches deep!:headbang: I dig down and there it is "the pin" eight inches deep!:laughing7: All around me there is Joy:hello2: I pack up as it is getting late and as I am walking out he shouts "you and your machine are welcome anytime". I was a nice feeling.:tongue3::icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• Silver! 001.jpg
    Silver! 001.jpg
    537.3 KB · Views: 205
  • 348.jpg
    348.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Upvote 25

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool story. Thanks for sharing it.

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
:hello2: What fun to read the ups & downs of your adventure! :hello2: Also wonderful that you wouldn't give up and located that pin they needed. :hello2: Wow! Andi

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story there !!

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story there thanks for sharing it !!

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good story. WTG

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You didn't finish the story, did you go back in the area of the Merc and look for more? Or, "more to come"
Reminds me of last year riding down with my deer hunting buddies who don't detect. The one buddy says, you should get a South Jersey Gas uniform and a orange vest. Then you could just metal detect anywhere you want! lol haaaaaaa. (don't worry, never could do that, jk)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome ! :notworthy:
I wonder how much the surveyors charged him for you finding the pin :(
Hopefully they were honest enough to not take financial credit

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and a merc to go with it :thumbsup:

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going !
You did good !

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story,hope you find many more relics there.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well written and good karma. Yep, must have been a good feeling. HH!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story and ending, thanks for sharing it with us.

Folks are very happy to see a survey stake being dug up, as it saves a call to a survey company where they know there's no free lunches when it comes locating a stake.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I don't know if they'll think it's a banner find. ;) But, I do. :)

Maybe you should have run around like a headless chicken and climbed a tree or two. Just so they knew
you were one of us! ;) LOL

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and ending!! Go tear it up Doc! Lol! You know what mean.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions