You’re not going to believe this… another Martingale badge today!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I headed back for a 4hr hunt today to a site I received permission to hunt at the beginning of October. A few weeks ago at this location I found a British Military Horse Cheek Boss, one of two that went to the branch cheek steel bit of the horse… well today I found its mate! :o I also found another Isaac Campbell Knapsack Hook. Some of my favourite finds today were a small baby picture in a pendant, a Lesney Farm Tractor and a collection of ladies compacts. I have included a picture of the martingale before and after I gave it a coat of beeswax & mineral oil, which can easily be removed with dish soap and water. :tongue3:

This site has me really stumped though as to why I’ve only found modern coins here? :icon_scratch: An old coin would have really topped off today and made it a great day, although I can’t complain too much! :laughing7:

This is my third British Military Martingale find since August, here’s a pic of all three! :thumbsup:

Thanks very much for looking,
Dave

Attachments

• SDC10260.JPG
    SDC10260.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 159
  • SDC10257.JPG
    SDC10257.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 167
  • SDC10261.JPG
    SDC10261.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 190
  • SDC10263.JPG
    SDC10263.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 202
  • SDC10262.JPG
    SDC10262.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 195
  • SDC10272.JPG
    SDC10272.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 235
  • SDC10269.JPG
    SDC10269.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 199
  • SDC10259.JPG
    SDC10259.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 206
  • SDC10266.JPG
    SDC10266.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 192
  • SDC10265.JPG
    SDC10265.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 207
  • SDC10277.JPG
    SDC10277.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 223
  • SDC10273.JPG
    SDC10273.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 206
  • SDC10289.JPG
    SDC10289.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 183
  • SDC10288.JPG
    SDC10288.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 190
  • SDC10309.JPG
    SDC10309.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 212
  • SDC10303.JPG
    SDC10303.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Upvote 28

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you digging at an old Martingale factory?

Congrats on another great find.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Amazing - great stuff!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I headed back for a 4hr hunt today to a site I received permission to hunt at the beginning of October. A few weeks ago at this location I found a British Military Horse Cheek Boss, one of two that went to the branch cheek steel bit of the horse… well today I found its mate! :o I also found another Isaac Campbell Knapsack Hook. Some of my favourite finds today were a small baby picture in a pendant, a Lesney Farm Tractor and a collection of ladies compacts. I have included a picture of the martingale before and after I gave it a coat of beeswax & mineral oil, which can easily be removed with dish soap and water. :tongue3:

This site has me really stumped though as to why I’ve only found modern coins here? :icon_scratch: An old coin would have really topped off today and made it a great day, although I can’t complain too much! :laughing7:

This is my third British Military Martingale find since August, here’s a pic of all three! :thumbsup:

Thanks very much for looking,
Dave

DANG IT MAN!!!!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow bud! A friend of mine once told me that everybody has a "thing" when it comes to detecting. Mine seems to be shoe buckles. Yours....well yours is pretty obvious. I can't imagine the odds of the same person finding three of those. Pretty amazing and it couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Congrats

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hat trick! amazing finding yet another…Congrats!!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow bud! A friend of mine once told me that everybody has a "thing" when it comes to detecting. Mine seems to be shoe buckles. Yours....well yours is pretty obvious. I can't imagine the odds of the same person finding three of those. Pretty amazing and it couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Congrats
Lol. My "thing" must be brass water sprayers. I must have two dozen that ive dug up.

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are really cool!

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very nice!
Thank you! :thumbsup:

I heard somewhere, good things come in threes
I guess that's a good thing
Congratulations on that one too, you seem to be the only person finding these things, you must have a horseshoe stuck somewhere up there
I know IH, I've never seen these found before here on Tnet, let alone any other site! :icon_scratch:
Also, there's very little information about these online, but I can't be the only person to find them?
Dave.

Nice diggs

I guess you are single handily making them less rare!
Thanks for your post buddy!
That's what stumps me... why have I found three of these at two separate sites in 3 months and yet find very little about them online? :dontknow:
Dave

Well if there is two per bit....by my count the site owes him one more!
I found my first one at a different site in Eastern Ontario, the last two were from the same site northeast of Toronto.
Dave

Really nice finds.

Like many others I'm sure, I had to look at the date of the post. :laughing7:
I hear you IP!
The only thing I duplicate these days is my story to my wife about where I've been for the past 6hrs! :thumbsup:
Dave

Like Iron Patch said, I was like "haven't I read this?". That is pretty cool to find three of those beauties. Sorry If I missed it, but what's the date on those?
Thanks for your post J!
I'm thinking they date mid-19thc. although I think the first one I found is a bit earlier because of how it's made. :icon_scratch:
Dave

Last edited:
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I checked the previous banner posts to make sure I wasn't seeing a double, but actually more than one martingale and then I saw the picture showing 3 together.
I guess I learned something, I always thought that martingales are the piece that fits on the the horses chest and a bit boss fit on each side of the bit.
The pieces that I found at this site likely attached to the sides of the bit boss, although the one I found yesterday has the attachments on the back that hole it to the leather. The martingale I found at this site on October 4 look to have broken off, so maybe there's one more still here yet to be found! :dontknow:
Dave

Man, that's just CRAZY. And am I the only one thinking, "Whoa. That site doesn't owe him a darn THING!!"??
Thank you for your post Sir! :icon_salut:
I'd like to think it owes me at very least an LC! :laughing7:
Dave

Very cool finds. No coins? Hmmmmmmm.....??? Maybe look for a place where they mounted their horses and wagons....a hitching post...
That's a great idea MichiganMan! :thumbsup:
There's been a lot of disturbance here, it seems the only part that hasn't been touched is the back of the property where I found both of the martingales. :icon_scratch:
Dave

Yes, I had to check the date of this post lol... Again another wonderful find, congrats!
No need to check... it's a legit find! :laughing7:
Thanks for your post monte!
Dave

Congrats on another amazing find. Yup I was one of those who looked at the date.
Thanks for your post Greylock, I think this will be the trend for the life of this post too! :laughing7:
Dave

Hey, thanks that was really helpful .Never knew that's where they mounted.
The bit cleaned up nicely too.
What a spot!
The bit pictured is just for example HCW... I only wish I'd found a complete piece! :laughing7:

I'll throw myself in the ring also for date checking this post, TWICE! This is really cool you finding the matching badge at the site.
Now did you ever think that there would be the other one there, even a fleeting thought, also how far apart were they at the site?
We must shop at the same location to have a jar of Andy's beeswax,or he must around a lot. :laughing7:
Thanks for your post J! :thumbsup:
Both of these pieces were found within 10' of each other, not really sure how I missed the second one the first go round?
As far as the Andy's Beeswax goes ... I met him a the 'One of a Kind Craft Show' in Toronto years ago and visited him last summer at his shop in Stratford. He's a really nice guy and the 1860's factory where he makes all of his wears in is like taking a step back in time! :o

I'm in Kingston tonight J, thought I'd hit a couple of sites near the Kingston Pen if the weather permits... their calling for flurries tomorrow! :dontknow:
Dave

Last edited:
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow Dave, I could not believe I was reading your title right, I kept thinking to myself, "is that three?" Haaaaaaaaaaaaa, that is so cool, congrats! I love the example pic on the bit.
Thanks for your post Brad!
Yesterday I tried to think of a title for this post that was different from the first two martingales that I post... but I gave up! :laughing7:
Best of luck to you buddy,
Dave

Nice digs.
Thanks! :icon_thumright:

I thought the chances of both the cheek pieces being there were quite good. :thumbsup: I wonder what else might turn up from there.:headbang:

SS
You were right mate, I was thinking the exact same thing when I got back to the site.
Of course, when I saw it in the hole all I could think was, "they're never going to believe this"! :laughing7:
Hence the title of the post,
Dave

Are you digging at an old Martingale factory?

Congrats on another great find.
You might think so eh Tom, but no! :laughing7:
Just an old farm site in the country ... what I'd really like to know is the story behind how they got here?
Was the original land owner an ex-British Military Officer or was the harness picked up a later local farm auction? :dontknow:
Dave

Thanks very much buddy!
I've seen the stuff that you find buddy ... now who's the show-off! :laughing7:
Dave

Amazing - great stuff!
Thank you very much Sir! :occasion14:

DANG IT MAN!!!!
Thanks for your post Dave!
I think the site deserves at least one more go round before the snow flies! :thumbsup:
Dave

Thanks very much for your kind words Abe ... I only wish that 'my thing' was finding more silver coins! :laughing7:
What makes this tough, is that not a lot of people have found these or so it seems?
Dave

Nice find!
Thanks!

Nice hat trick! amazing finding yet another…Congrats!!
Thanks very much my friend! :occasion14:
Dave

Lol. My "thing" must be brass water sprayers. I must have two dozen that ive dug up.
Hey, brass water sprayers are very collectible especially the older ones from the 30's & 40's! :laughing7:
Dave

Last edited:
OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are really cool!
Thanks very much Todd! :icon_thumright:
Dave

Wow, that's amazing. I could never imagine ever finding ONE martingale badge. Banner!
Thanks coinman, but I already made BANNER in August with the first one of these I found! :occasion14:
Dave

Congratulations!! You also have a Isaac Campbell Knapsack hook there too...it is also rare!!

collectorsframe.com*Catalog
Thanks for the link 55th! :thumbsup:
This is the 2nd one I've found at this site.
Dave

Are they solid brass??
Yes, they're all solid brass. :icon_thumright:
They all hit at 85 - 86 on the VDI on my Garrett AT Pro, this one was at 8" deep!
Dave

You just keep killing it, man. :thumbsup:
Thanks very much Rod! :occasion14:
Best of luck to you buddy,
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread