Aug 27, 2014
NOVA
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro-10D2 & 6x10dd
White's 6000 Pro XL
Fisher 1266x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man-o-man...why couldn't it all look like the "L". VA farm ate this lil puppy up! Too too bad :BangHead: Well, I have tilted this thing every possible angle while doing a headstand and shinned light from every side and just don't know if my eyes are playing mean tricks on me. But I wanted to see what fresh eyes see. I see (or think I see or want to see 1804, with the 1 taken by mother nature.) The 1 in the fraction seems to be off center too...I think, again those mean tricks. Would love to hear the coin guys and gals thoughts. Anyway, no matter, my 1st LC and she is beautiful!!! Pretty awesome feeling digging and holding this piece of history! Thanks for looking and have a great day.
PS-If I did get lucky with 1804 Draped Bust, there are only 96,499 left out there :headbang:

LC1.jpg LC2.jpg

Upvote 8

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Nice find. Can't help you on the date, I see nothing that suggests any date to me.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a decent Draped Bust. Sorry but I can't make a date either. At least you know the date range.

digndeep

Jul 28, 2014
cambridge,md
Detector(s) used
Xp ORX, whites v3, whites mxt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great find there! I'd be happy with that much detail,most of mine have been wiped out..congrats!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice going on the copper, maybe a little soaking will bring out the date from under the crust.

RelicDude

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2012
north west connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice draped bust i cant make a year out on it though. i wouldnt give it a peroxide bath i think you would lose all the detail you do have.

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TokenMan, congrats on finding the draped bust. I don't believe that you'll be able to physically confirm a date on that coin. Don't give up yet. You may be able to confirm a date without actually seeing one. Remember that with large cents, there were many varieties within each mint year. Using the details that remain on your coin, you can start eliminating varieties that don't match. The internet is full of variety photos you can use as a reference. I've had great success with this, and have confirmed the dates of three LCs that had no date numbers showing at all. Good luck!

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure if you can get a date out of this one. I did find an 1804 earlier in the year that although corroded, did have the date.

20140506_190836.jpg
1804 cent date reduced.jpg

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on a nice find. No help with the date...

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't read a date either. If that were my coin, I would chip off the crud that's covering the date area with a wooden skewer. Then I would rub some nose oil on that spot and see if a date showed up. I think that's you're only shot of getting a date off of it.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, finding any large cent is good. Believe it or not, it's in OK shape for a large cent, at least you can see what it is, the colonial copper I found this weekend was a toasted dirt cake.

Here is my best large cent that I found this year (I have only been detecting since 2013, and did not start detecting old places until this year, making anything old that I found found this year, before I just went to tot-lots):
1803.jpg

Congrats on the large cent, it is truly exciting to see that copper disk in or on the side of the hole. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bought a microscope for this type of problem , it does not work all the time but it can help. A little cleaning should give you an idea. nice find. Vanzutphen

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for sharing your hunt and those pictures with us

Dave2000

Oct 13, 2014
Long Island, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT (Coils: 5x8, stock, Tornado)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find! On my Draped Bust LC finds last week, three dates were clearly legible and one looked pretty toasted. On the toasted LC, I used a $3.00 pocket coin microscope from Amazon (with bright oblique lighting) and I was shocked that I could pretty much make out the illegible 4th digit (same issue you're having).

First picture is no magnification, standard lighting (can really only see a "9"). Second picture is the microscope shot with oblique lighting of the 3rd and 4th digits ("98"). Pictures were taken about a minute apart with nothing done to the coin between shots. Try something like this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 59

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread