Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found another anchor button today but the condition of this one is better than most of the others. It has a lot of crust on it but I see the gilt still on underneath. I hunted a old cellar hole that the deed dates back to at least the 1830's. I'm sure there will be plenty more finds when the grass dies off. I also got some oxen shoes and axe heads today because all these military buckle finds etc. people on tnet have been digging lately has been making me want to check some bigger signals in these old spots. The button was around 4"inches deep under a flat stone beside the foundation. Thanks for looking! :)

image-2866859077.jpg

image-194973830.jpg

image-1841785101.jpg

image-473148208.jpg

image-3794654387.jpg

Upvote 7
OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome button! You lemon juiced it?

Yes, but it was nice to begin with. The Patriot found a nice green one a few years back that I cleaned with peroxide with a good result. It all depends on the condition. You can always start with peroxide and have the choice to not rinse and let the patina come back after cleaning, or go lemon if you see gilt, or need something stronger to cut through the crud. Lemon juice would not have been a good idea for this one.

Attachments

• Anchor.jpg
    Anchor.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are some more I found awhile ago that I left alone.

image-564550321.jpg

image-1954483333.jpg

image-176958767.jpg

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember that one!! Took until the end of that hunt for me to find it...some great hunts there...brings back the memories----"shovels and everything field"..

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some more I found awhile ago that I left alone.

]

I would definitely soak those. The first it's hard to say, you just have to keep an eye on it to make sure it's improving and you're not losing the little gilt you have right now. The reason it's hard to say is because I can not tell from the picture if the black is build up that will clean, or it's the surface metal and just very dark. A few minutes soaking might tell the story, and if mine I would definitely take a shot at it because it appears there's way more to gain than to lose. The 2nd button having gilt on the back is a good sign so I give it a reasonable chance there could be more around the anchor. Without question I know I could clean it with lemon juice to be much better.

Dagger Woods

Apr 29, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro Int'l
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found another anchor button today but the condition of this one is better than most of the others. It has a lot of crust on it but I see the gilt still on underneath. I hunted a old cellar hole that the deed dates back to at least the 1830's. I'm sure there will be plenty more finds when the grass dies off. I also got some oxen shoes and axe heads today because all these military buckle finds etc. people on tnet have been digging lately has been making me want to check some bigger signals in these old spots. The button was around 4"inches deep under a flat stone beside the foundation. Thanks for looking! :)

View attachment 1072965

View attachment 1072966

View attachment 1072967

View attachment 1072968

View attachment 1072969

Very cool button.... looking forward to seeing it "juiced" :-)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember that one!! Took until the end of that hunt for me to find it...some great hunts there...brings back the memories----"shovels and everything field"..

HAHA You got it. If you remember I also dug one, think just before you. It also has a green patina but not as nice. Finding mine ended what was probably my worst button slump ever, up over 100 and not a single military. It's funny because I was just thinking about that yesterday on the way home because this Fall even though I haven't found anything too great, they're still coming out, and I'm not even hitting sites as good as what they were when I was in that slump. Seems we never know how your hunts will go here.... well we do know a little.... they tend to be awesome or really suck. Just flip a copper I guess, that is if it is the good type trip where you actually find one. :laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This one was a plain front flat button with just the anchor and chain. The picture not the best but I can see all the lines and gilt color still in the just the anchor itself. I think the anchor was the only thing with gilt but I could be wrong. image-2666557022.jpg I think it was this one...
Didn't mean to put that map photo on. Don't know how to erase it right now. Haha

Attachments

• image-616383401.jpg
    image-616383401.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 69
  • image-795630703.jpg
    image-795630703.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, only gilt on the anchor now, but that's only because it's a dug button. At one time it was 100% gilt on the face. So cleaning might not make a drastic difference for most of it, but the anchor could be a lot better than what you see now. With that pic i'm more inclined to think it's crud and will clean up fairly well.

I'll spare you the show up on this one, but I could. :laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm on the app and didn't know how to delete the photo. Maybe on the main site but it's to late now. Since I posted the photo anyway I always wondered about that old gold mine on that island that the picture says. It's pretty close to home. Lots of boats around too. Maybe the miners dropped some goodies there. It would have been at least 120 years ago it would have been there. Haha

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm on the app and didn't know how to delete the photo. Maybe on the main site but it's to late now. Since I posted the photo anyway I always wondered about that old gold mine on that island that the picture says. It's pretty close to home. Lots of boats around too. Maybe the miners dropped some goodies there. It would have been at least 120 years ago it would have been there. Haha

It's detecting so who knows. Things can be pretty strange in this hobby.

Forgot to add your ID is right, and there is many variants, both chain and rope. I also forgot to say you might have some gilt on the chain design too.

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whole idea with the bud, is to use the lemon juice in the middle and edge were the gilding is, removing the green, which is the patina is a no, no, for me anyway.

SS

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I Believe your Button is a little older than presumed

Cerca 1805ad

RN Ass' Surgeon - at Sea - 1805 or RN Surgeon - at Sea - 1805

RN Assistant Surgeon - at Sea - 1805.jpg RN Surgeon - at Sea - 1805.jpg

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Believe your Button is a little older than presumed

Cerca 1805ad

RN Ass' Surgeon - at Sea - 1805 or RN Surgeon - at Sea - 1805

View attachment 1073830 View attachment 1073831

It's earlier than that, and surgeons button had a serpent design. I have seen this being called a surgeon button before, and being it's an officer button, maybe they used em, but I don't think of it that way, and the references I trust do not call them that.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice button, hoping that you get some great results when it's cleaned up a bit.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes, and they label all those tudor rose buttons as Lieutenants, which is ridiculous. I would not make that my go to place for IDs, or at least would not make it my one and only stop. But again, maybe it is the case Surgeons used them, and maybe they date later, but that is not what I see.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread