May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ZDD and Me.

What a great fall day, we started off looking in a couple of large field for the lost disc harrow disc the farmer had asked us to locate last time out. Nearly 4 hours in when I spotted what looked like a flat rock, when I stuck my shovel in beside it I knew I had it and called over to Dave "I got it", about four steps later there was the spacer to match.

Dave got a nice copper there, and I got a razor thin, and holed disc. We never met up with the farmer, but dropped it off at his house, and the wife said / knew he would be very pleased, it was in like new condition.

The hunt contined on where I got the really old nipple button, the finds were not thick, but a few oldies were recovered, and Dave got a really cool find from there.

Anyway, I got a good variety of stuff including,
Rossett
bent up brooch, tiny paste "stone" in the center.
5 buttons
Jaw harp

find14-21-1.JPG

dirt brushed off

find14-21-2.JPG

I guess my favorite for the day is the little shoe buckle chape, that has what might be a makers mark on it "TG". Oh how I wish it was all there.

find14-21-3.JPG

Can't wait to do it all again.

Upvote 13

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck of a day Rick. That's a nice looking rosette and the spigot ain't too bad either. Always nice seeing the marks on the handle and the chape.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a good day to be out weed wacking again buddy. That is very cool to see the makers mark on that buckle piece, and that horse rosette turned out great.
We will have to do it all over again after the rain.
ZDD

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice little shoe buckle piece and one of the nicest jaw harps I've seen. Good day buddy

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad about the buckle, and that seems to be the only English type from that era that is non silver and stamped. I've seen several others with the same looking chape.

The question I have, and you should too.... is there still an older site there because neither of you guys found anything that really fits in with the nipple button era? Or was that just a single button that hung around forever? To be continued.

OP
OP
Rick (Nova Scotia)

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad about the buckle, and that seems to be the only English type from that era that is non silver and stamped. I've seen several others with the same looking chape.

The question I have, and you should too.... is there still an older site there because neither of you guys found anything that really fits in with the nipple button era? Or was that just a single button that hung around forever? To be continued.

The nipple button could easily be a loner, but we only spent about the same hour and a half on 15 acres that day with only minor zig-zaging, so very easy to miss a 30 foot hot spot. This hunt we spent about the same amount of time on the other half of the field, with no real "gridding" not even a coarse grid what so ever, like said just walking around like ants, both times there was near the end of the day for us. So just rushing around.

I was hoping to spend more time on this field because of the button, but took a big chunk of our day to find the disc, which was pretty rough going.

Whether or not there is an actual site remains to be proved. Regardless A good find is still there I'm sure, BTW on the nipple button half is where Dave got the powder horn cap.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It still amazes me even by the amount I find and have how many people lost there belt buckles back then. Wouldn't you notice it gone if you needed one in the first place? Haha

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
When you put something back in the hand that gives you the go ahead to detect has very high rewards for good deeds done along the way, stick with that place, it's hiding something really good!
Next time you will find the patch

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice recovery of the implements and return, I'm sure the field will reward you given enough time. In conversation with the land owner or farmer it comes up they've tilled up glass, brick, or foundation stones in a certain part of the field, sure cuts down on the chase sometimes.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It still amazes me even by the amount I find and have how many people lost there belt buckles back then. Wouldn't you notice it gone if you needed one in the first place? Haha

Most buckles we find are horse related, and maybe even thrown away once the piece of equipment was old and not much good. Let's use shoe buckle instead, found but not huge amounts, and pretty easy to lose and not know where. The huge factor in detecting is that we can find 50 years of losses and items thrown away in the matter of a few days, or even hours, depending on the site. It's easy to forget about everything that went on when it's nothing more than a farm field now, but some people spent their entire life on those spots.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most buckles we find are horse related, and maybe even thrown away once the piece of equipment was old and not much good. Let's use shoe buckle instead, found but not huge amounts, and pretty easy to lose and not know where. The huge factor in detecting is that we can find 50 years of losses and items thrown away in the matter of a few days, or even hours, depending on the site. It's easy to forget about everything that went on when it's nothing more than a farm field now, but some people spent their entire life on those spots.
Good answer! :)

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great assortment of finds. Nice early 18th century chape!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Rick, I believe the oldest find in your pic is that early buckle chape. That style of "cooking pot" chape was used from about 1690-1720. I was able to find a couple other buckles online that had the "TG" maker's mark, but could not get a name for that buckle maker. Cool find!

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs. :thumbsup: Really like the rosette and that brooch is interesting. Congrats on the buckle!

HH

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice assortment there Rick. Rosette, Jews Harp, and a cool chape. Plus you found the lost farm equipment. Not a bad days work!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread