Killer buckle, and some nice coppers.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick and I got out today and our first goal was to find a farmers disc from his harrow machine. On the third field Rick yells out "I got it" he then goes on to find the spacer that goes with it, so find of the day goes to my buddy Rick.
Now for my finds, I started with a nice 1816 Brock token
20141031_093814.jpg 20141031_093759.jpg
and then to my amazement I get up another 1838 Stiver token,and it's also in good shape
20141031_115505.jpg 20141031_115451.jpg
I found one of those on my last hunt:laughing7:

Then the find of the day for me was a beautiful 3 inch long buckle, now I am not sure if this qualifies as a spectical buckle or not but I would sure like to have an idea of the age of it.
All guesses welcome,
20141031_171124.jpg 20141031_171232.jpg 20141031_171318.jpg

And the rest of the gang, reins guides, ox knob, pewter spoon bowl and copper spoon a crusty copper and musket ball.
20141031_174153.jpg

HH everyone,
ZDD

Last edited:
Upvote 21
OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a Fantastic find.:notworthy: usually broken, you beat the odds there.:thumbsup:

A double-loop military belt fitment with moulded lion’s head decoration.
Fitments like this were in use on uniform from the Napoleonic period onward and were still in use on dress uniform in the early 20th century. Described as 'probably serving as a sabretache buckle', (a satchel suspended by straps from a cavalry officer's belt).

Banner Find in my books.:notworthy:

SS
Thanks for the info on this piece SS. The area I found this at saw military activity from the 1600s to the end of the 1700s, possibly some in the 1812 conflict but not likely. I also found a top to a powder horn in the same field on my last hunt there. So I guess I would put the age of it in the 17th - 18th century.
Thanks again,
ZDD

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info on this piece SS. The area I found this at saw military activity from the 1600s to the end of the 1700s, possibly some in the 1812 conflict but not likely. I also found a top to a powder horn in the same field on my last hunt there. So I guess I would put the age of it in the 17th - 18th century.
Thanks again,
ZDD
As it's complete I wonder if there could be other components from the belt fitment waiting to be found.:dontknow: Like I told Dave (Antiquarian) when he found his cheek piece, that the other one might be still there...and it was, so who knows what's still there at your site. Sounds like you have a interesting site, with the military action it's seen.:thumbsup:

SS

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an awesome buckle Dave...definitely a great way to kick off the November detecting season!!

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some fine digs. :icon_thumleft: That buckle is gorgeous! Nice tokens, too. WTG

HH

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's something I've haven't seen before…Very cool find there!!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A bunch of cool finds there Dave - WTG! At first glance I thought that buckle might be Victorian, but what do I know?? Think I'll defer to IP's judgement on this one. And I guess it would technically qualify as a spectacle buckle. Very nice regardless.

There is similar Victorian era ones but the lion heads are not cast into the buckle... at least the one I seen. (owned) Also keep in mind there's not really too many years between 1812 era and early Victorian... so I definitely wouldn't say it's out of the question to be Victorian... I don't know enough about them to say anything for sure.

Last edited:

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That buckle is really fancy, I like it ! Nice spot hope you find more goodies there to show us.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is similar Victorian era ones but the lion heads are not cast into the buckle... at least the one I seen. (owned) Also keep in mind there's not really too many years between 1812 era and early Victorian... so I definitely wouldn't say it's out of the question to be Victorian... I don't know enough about them to say anything for sure.
IP.. I think the one you are referring to is a clasp that was connected via a snake buckle, to the lions head part, that had a loop. The one posted is a belt fitment buckle which also went onto sword fittings.

SS

Attachments

• imagesOBC6AK9T.jpg
    imagesOBC6AK9T.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 57

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As IP said, it will be hard to beat that this year, but you probably don't have much longer you can detect until the freeze? Nice relics and tokens to go with the buckle.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Missed your post up on the disc field hunt, and you can addd a great looking buckle to the collection. It's in great shape and not one that I've ever seen posted up before, along with the two coppers I'd say you had a very good day out on the field.
Sometimes the quiet ones produce some of the best finds as there's not a lot of clutter around to mask the keepers.
Hope the weather holds out for you so a return hunt can be had.
I'm gong to throw the vote in for the buckle Dave as it's there for finds.

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your right about this field Pepper, this ones all about quality over quantity. My research shows a couple of 18th cent. houses in the area. Now if we can only get our coil over the iron patch.
ZDD

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IP.. I think the one you are referring to is a clasp that was connected via a snake buckle, to the lions head part, that had a loop. The one posted is a belt fitment buckle which also went onto sword fittings.

SS

No, I'm pretty sure I know which one I was referring to considering I owned it. :) In fact I had an example of each at that time. The later one was also a strap buckle, shaped the same way, only like I said the lion heads were not cast into the buckle.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat buckle Dave, and the military connection makes it even better!

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats an awesome buckle Dave! Exact the kind of find I like to see on the Banner! Beautiful condition and it will be a top piece in your collection. Big congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread