2 steel wheats and a Jackson $1

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to a tot lot with my 11yr old last weekend and forgot about our finds. Just looked the pennies over and my first two steel, along with a '44. We also found an Indiana state quarter and when he saw the 1816 he got excited until I told him to flip it over. I am hoping to get him hooked, so far he only likes to go to two places but I'm not giving up! SteelJackson.JPG

Upvote 4

sideshowbob

Jun 21, 2013
Those steel wheats are in nice condition. I have found one and it was a solid piece of rust :) I too have had those moments on those state quarters. They are a mean tease.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are great finds for a tot lot! I'm with bob, I found one some yrs back and it was a rusted mess. Were they buried?,surface?

OP
OP
Q

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found them near a tree about 3-4 inches down in the roots.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool finds. I found a Lincoln dollar a while back.

I would definitely keep workin' on your son. He's still young so you got plenty of time yet.

You could always seed a really cool find somewhere to get him really hooked. Wouldn't be the first time a parent used a little positive reinforcement and benevolent deception.

My grandfather used to plant coins around his property when I was a little kid and send me out "treasure hunting". It was a blast picking up pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters. He even put an old Franklin half out there once which I still have.

He had me convinced for a while that "pirates" had put them there before I finally figured out that HE was the pirate.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those steel wheats are in nice condition. I have found one and it was a solid piece of rust :) I too have had those moments on those state quarters. They are a mean tease.

Yeah, I have "been had" by those dates on the State Quarters too.

I would say those steel wheaties were recent drops. Otherwise, they would be rusted.

Last edited:

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are great finds for a tot lot! I'm with bob, I found one some yrs back and it was a rusted mess. Were they buried?,surface?

Tot lots can be funny. I hunted an old park one day yet found no old coins.
I hit the tot lot and dug up two wheaties in excellent shape. The tot lot was less than 5 years old yet the park is over 100 years old.

Maybe when they made the tot lots the turned over the ground and brought them up.. That's the only logical explanation I can think of.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread