Detected a Fanner 50 Cap Gun, I thought it was a real gun, lol.

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detected a Fanner 50 Cap Gun, I thought it was a real gun, lol. I have been in a slump have not got anything worth posting since last spring. I don't get out as much as I would like though. I was racing the sunset yesterday and found a new piece of woods nearby, I got the key and a guess its a drawer handle nob ? Then I got a penny dime signal and a nice audio tone and out came the gun, I thought it was my first real pistol, it was almost 9 inches long and had a little bit of weight to it, when I got home and started cleaning it I saw no holes in the revolver cyclinder, did net research because the name Fanner 50 showed up in the cleaning. I keep hitting my local pieces of woods to detect because this area is growing too fast and I lost a good cellar hole to a new car dealership and a piece of woods with a half cent find to a new housing project. I have a before and after picture of the gun. IMG_0470.JPG IMG_0472.JPG IMG_0473.JPG

Upvote 4

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In do the same thing when I dig a cap gun. See it in the bottom of the hole and think its going to be a real one this time. Cool find!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That does look real. It's hard to find one in one piece for me.

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
They were an awesome toy. Maybe even the most favorite toy I had as a kid. My cousins and I all had them. The 'shootin' shell variety. They had a brass casing that you snapped a plastic bullet into and stuck a round green sticky cap onto. We would run and chase each other all thru grandmas house, hiding behind furniture, diving over the couch, shooting each other. And grandma put up with it.
She is also the one who stirred my interest in coins. I would shovel her snow or mow her yard and she would pay me with an (1) old coin. My first LC's, IH's, V nickels, ect.... I still have them all. If she would have paid me in modern money, it would be gone.

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks real in the pic.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that would have fooled me too till it was cleaned. Nice find!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool dig Dave! And she sure brings back memories of the play times of cowboys and Indians...

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's when toys were toys!, nowadays people would cringe at thought of pointing toy guns at each other and pretend shooting

Cool find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread