Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Since there's too much snow for MDing, I've decided to try to locate some of the old homesites that are in my 1878 atlas.

The first one I found a couple of days ago. It's only about 1/4 mile down the road from where I grew up. It was pasture land so we didn't play there....so I didn't even know it was there. There's a cut stone house foundation and a barn foundation.

We snowshoed to 2 more this morning. One foundation I knew about, but according to my atlas there was another house nearby. I was so excited when I found it. There isn't even a road back there anymore. You can just see a faint trail.

Can't wait until spring springs.

Haupin

Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great research, I hope it pays off for you! HH, Mike

OP
OP
Mona Lisa

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm following all the advice about researching during winter months and I'm having a good time doing it. We have a great library. Also,I'm going to volunteer at the historical society to get more information.

Today, I downloaded a satelite imaging program and compared it to the maps of have from the 1870's. I am amazed how correct the old maps are. I'm going to find the old homesteads on the satelite images by cross referencing the maps...copy the latitude and longitude...and then use the gps to find some more old sites. It should be fun.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those 1870's BEERS Atlas's are Amazing

OP
OP
Mona Lisa

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Oh yeah, everything's under snow right now. ?I'll take pictures when it melts.....if it melts.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everythings white here but the road so far

OP
OP
Mona Lisa

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My atlas is "Howden & Odbert's Atlas of Warren County". ?It's is a reprint printed for our historical society. ?There are amazing lithographs of old homes in to also. ?Unfortunately, I have to take it back to the library soon. :'(

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the original 1875 Beers Schuylkill County Atlas, Paid $500.00 for it. The Antique Shops sell them for $900.00? . also have a Reprint Of the Beers 1875 Dauphin County & a 1876 DAVIS ATLAS reprint in my Personal Library here at home. I like the Original Better, Color Maps & full size , making it easire to read Home Owners Names

OP
OP
Mona Lisa

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool. Well, thanks to my scanner, I almost have a whole reprint of my reprint of the original!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread