Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this today at the dump. I think it's a WWII-era dog tag! Awesome!
Any ideas what the numbers/markings mean?

DSC03871.JPG

DSC03872.JPG

Upvote 4

Ed-D

Jan 1, 2011
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max and Pro, NEL Hunter Coil, ACE Apex for the coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that the "T42" means he got his Tetanus shot in 1942. If you email pictures of it to [email protected] he can tell you a lot about it or point you in the right direction. Good luck.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here are plenty of leads for you:
DANIEL KRENICHYN, 86, Herkimer, N.Y., died Saturday, Aug. 25. Mr. Krenichyn was owner and operator of Krenichyn's Plumbing and Heating. He was born in Shenandoah, Pa. He spent winters in St. Cloud. He was an Army veteran of World War II. He was member of Saints Peter and Paul Orthodox Church. He was a member of Dad's of Foreign Service, American Legion, Elks Lodge and Rotary. Survivors: wife, Thelma; sons, Lane, Scott, both of Herkimer, Daryl, Ilion, N.Y.; daughters, Danalee Capone, Syracuse, Lisa Holynski, Herkimer; sisters, Helen Ciko, Tillie Levo, both of Herkimer; 13 grandchildren; five great-grandchildren. Petykiewicz, Iocovozzi and Burns Funeral Home, Herkimer.

Based on the above, I suggest you call his former company and tell them your story and that you wish to give the tag back to the family. Offer to send them a pic of the tag and repeat a couple of times in your discussion that this gesture of yours is FOR FREE. I've done this process twice before with other WW II tags. You will bring great joy to the next of kin. Go for it !!
Krenichyn's Plumbing & Heating​

3005 New York 28 Herkimer, NY 13350
(315) 866-6494

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Mackaydon......GREAT research on your part. I have 7 or 8 of them that I've dug over the years (all from WWII) and actually returned one to a man in North Carolina a few years ago. He lost it while training here in Tennessee. MY question is this. How did you find out so much information on the tag that UnderMiner dug? You did a good job and I need to do the same thing. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
tennesseedigger,
The tag, itself, can tell you much.
Yes, the '42 and '43 are the years he was given his Tetanus shots. Clue: The first year of his shots is usually the year he entered the service. We know he was drafted because his tag begins with the number "3". And we know he was placed in service during the period July '43 to March '44 because of the 2-line ID tag that begins with his first name. (Three other versions exist--each with designated dates of useage.) Had it begun with his last name (and a 2-liner) he would have entered the Army between March of '44 and April of '46.
The second number in his tag represents his Corps Area or Service Command; "2" in his case.
Second Corps Area (New Jersey-Delaware-New York) HQ=Governors Island, N.Y. Clue: That is from where he was drafted.
The "B" is his blood type and the "P" is his religious preference; Protestant.
I'll stop there, but in researching
DANIEL KRENICHYN[FONT=arial, helvetica], it was much easier to start Googling with that relatively rare name.
If you want to research one of the tags you possess, I'd be happy to assist; perhaps best by PM.
Don....
[/FONT]

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing information fellas! It's so cool how so much information can be attained about a person from such a tiny piece of metal from their past. This website and its members amazes me more and more every day! :D

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Very Cool find and in great shape....some amazing history also!! If we could only trace all finds like that....

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
DANIEL 's last known place of residence was (ZIP CODE) 34769 (Saint Cloud, Osceola County, Florida) . His Social Security Number is also in a public document, but I wont post that. Clue: His social security number indicates he received it in New York.
At this site (
http://www.ilionalumni.com/1993.index.html) you can scroll down and see an entry made by Emily Krenichyn from Albany NY. I have no doubt that she is related and maybe the one of the next of (living) kin to Daniel. You may wish to contact her by EMail [email protected]. Clue: If you reach her, go slowly in your conversation since she, like many others who get such a call, may treat the call as a scam.
Don......
Don......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread