Great coin/relic day with olddude HUGE silver!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out with olddude today in a marathon of permission seeking, first spot was ok, dave got some wheats and I managed 1 wheat and this HUGE silver brush thing, I thought it was junk until I saw sterling on the back, i threw it at dave and said before you disregard it as junk look at the back!! Quite the strange find indeed brush b4.jpg ster.jpg brushqd.jpg
brushq.jpg
Nice how it cleaned up!! Plus this strange tag item, not sure what it is, perhaps military? badge.jpg ds.jpg

Next spot should've been better, nice old farm house, very minimal finds, it appeared to have alot of earth moved around, I managed a 1930 buff, the smaller bell and that huge skeleton key

The last spot of the day was the best by far, dave pulled some nice bells from there, I got one as well.
I started in the side yard and got some clad and a few wheats, moved along to the front and the goods practically started jumping out of the ground, xd.jpg dad.jpg ads.jpg dx.jpg

almost right away I got the 46 washington, then the harmonica reeds, then a few more wheats and got a merc, few more wheats and one indian later I got another merc, stepped 2 feet forward and got the 3rd merc!!! MY BEST SILVER DAY YET!! Managed 5 silvers today!:headbang:so I moved toward the backyard and got bell #2 which is the bigger one in the pic, between dave and I we got 6 bells that all ring!
Almost forgot the tootsie car vw bug, love them tootsies, plus the roundball that has the x carved into it, I think it was for deer hunting so it made more of an impact

the take was the 46 Washington, 1936, 38, and 43 mercs, and that silver brush, 17 wheats, 1882 indian, 1930 buff, the bells, the key, and the other odds and ends you see in the pictures

today was all around great, the weather, the finds, and good old fashioned comradary with a pal, great hunt dave!, thanks for looking and hh!!

Last edited:
Upvote 21
OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little further info. While the name is pretty common, I did track down a William Henry Amos, born January 19, 1889 in Scranton, PA (Lackawanna County). He was employed as a "chauffeur" for Dr. B.H. Throop, a well known physician in Lackawanna county. According to his draft card dated June 5, 1917, he was 28, single, and looked after his mother and sister in Scranton.

His service number being in the 1.7 million range falls right in line with the 1 -5.9 million that were issued starting in 1918.

As you live in NE Pennsylvania....I'd say this William H Amos is your guy.
This is absolutely incredible!, the amount of information you were able to get from that tag is nothing but amazing, we werent far from scranton/Lackawanna county so that's definitely possible, man I hope you're right. Thank you !!

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys had an awesome hunt, thats a big chunk of silver..Congrats to the both of you..

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It seems that you had a really good day out hunting with the assortment of finds that you got.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks to be " Company F 30th Infantry " once I enlarge the pic of the tag. Very good find! I took some liberties with one of your pics and played with opacity and it looks a little more legible.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415274655.948123.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys had an awesome hunt, thats a big chunk of silver..Congrats to the both of you..
thanks park pirate, it was a really good time

It seems that you had a really good day out hunting with the assortment of finds that you got.
Yes sir! 6 working bells between the two of us is unheard of!

Looks to be " Company F 30th Infantry " once I enlarge the pic of the tag. Very good find! I took some liberties with one of your pics and played with opacity and it looks a little more legible.
View attachment 1075713
thanks dave!, I gotta try and return that tag, I hope I can track down family

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the record silver day. You really got some nice stuff. The dog tag is really cool. GL&HH.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you guys had an awesome day thats for sure. Great recovery on the silvers and DT.
ZDD

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the record silver day. You really got some nice stuff. The dog tag is really cool. GL&HH.

you guys had an awesome day thats for sure. Great recovery on the silvers and DT.
ZDD
thanks guys I would have never thought an average everyday ho hum hunt would turn into one of the most significant things I have ever found. Thanks to this site and people researching for me I'm going to attempt to return it to family!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's something I truly miss. You guys had a great time. It shows! I used to have some wonderful hunts like this with my hunting partner. But, ever since his passing I've been going it alone. I do well enough but, there's a large chunk missing. Coming here and sharing helps a lot! But, it's not the same.

Dave can tell ya, I'm not the type to climb a tree or start singing dixie or go running around like the proverbial headless chicken. :)

But, it's like being out in the middle of a large lake, all alone for miles and catching the biggest bass in the world! You wanta say hey! Lookit what I caught! To SOMEBODY!. Feels kinda empty. Ya know?

Thanks for sharing your wonderful hunt. Brought back memories, bittersweet, but good.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's something I truly miss. You guys had a great time. It shows! I used to have some wonderful hunts like this with my hunting partner. But, ever since his passing I've been going it alone. I do well enough but, there's a large chunk missing. Coming here and sharing helps a lot! But, it's not the same.

Dave can tell ya, I'm not the type to climb a tree or start singing dixie or go running around like the proverbial headless chicken. :)

But, it's like being out in the middle of a large lake, all alone for miles and catching the biggest bass in the world! You wanta say hey! Lookit what I caught! To SOMEBODY!. Feels kinda empty. Ya know?

Thanks for sharing your wonderful hunt. Brought back memories, bittersweet, but good.

Wow gary, well said.
You're absolutely right, when u make that good find its awesome to have someone there with ya to show it to.

A few weeks back I brought dave to an old farm I hit a few times that I thought was hit pretty good, he grabbed some nice flat buttons and a few other keepers, that too is a cool thing, to bring someone to one of your sites and see them get the goods.

Thanks again!!!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow gary, well said.
You're absolutely right, when u make that good find its awesome to have someone there with ya to show it to.

A few weeks back I brought dave to an old farm I hit a few times that I thought was hit pretty good, he grabbed some nice flat buttons and a few other keepers, that too is a cool thing, to bring someone to one of your sites and see them get the goods.

Thanks again!!!

There is a small risk. When you share a site with someone who wouldn't normally have hunted there. Then, despite all your previous excursions there, alone, they turn up that 20 dollar gold piece you completely missed. Ya know?

Sure, you are happy for them, but.... ;)

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a small risk. When you share a site with someone who wouldn't normally have hunted there. Then, despite all your previous excursions there, alone, they turn up that 20 dollar gold piece you completely missed. Ya know?

Sure, you are happy for them, but.... ;)

Oh let's not go there! The 1/2 Reale Chris found was a target I quit on because I was afraid the area it was in was an old dug well and I really didn't want to take the chance of caving it in on this permission's front yard, lol. This happened when I went there alone because he was working, lol.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh let's not go there! The 1/2 Reale Chris found was a target I quit on because I was afraid the area it was in was an old dug well and I really didn't want to take the chance of caving it in on this permission's front yard, lol. This happened when I went there alone because he was working, lol.

Hey I thanked ya enough for planting that coin lol........err I mean leaving it lol:laughing7:

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've not seen Dave's finds yet but you certainly had an exceptional day for sure. Congrats on all your goodies!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've not seen Dave's finds yet but you certainly had an exceptional day for sure. Congrats on all your goodies!
Yeah thanks beez, it was an "ok" day til we hit that last spot, then the goods kept coming

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

You probably DID see my finds....they just didn't make an impression, lol!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions