Great coin/relic day with olddude HUGE silver!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out with olddude today in a marathon of permission seeking, first spot was ok, dave got some wheats and I managed 1 wheat and this HUGE silver brush thing, I thought it was junk until I saw sterling on the back, i threw it at dave and said before you disregard it as junk look at the back!! Quite the strange find indeed brush b4.jpg ster.jpg brushqd.jpg
brushq.jpg
Nice how it cleaned up!! Plus this strange tag item, not sure what it is, perhaps military? badge.jpg ds.jpg

Next spot should've been better, nice old farm house, very minimal finds, it appeared to have alot of earth moved around, I managed a 1930 buff, the smaller bell and that huge skeleton key

The last spot of the day was the best by far, dave pulled some nice bells from there, I got one as well.
I started in the side yard and got some clad and a few wheats, moved along to the front and the goods practically started jumping out of the ground, xd.jpg dad.jpg ads.jpg dx.jpg

almost right away I got the 46 washington, then the harmonica reeds, then a few more wheats and got a merc, few more wheats and one indian later I got another merc, stepped 2 feet forward and got the 3rd merc!!! MY BEST SILVER DAY YET!! Managed 5 silvers today!:headbang:so I moved toward the backyard and got bell #2 which is the bigger one in the pic, between dave and I we got 6 bells that all ring!
Almost forgot the tootsie car vw bug, love them tootsies, plus the roundball that has the x carved into it, I think it was for deer hunting so it made more of an impact

the take was the 46 Washington, 1936, 38, and 43 mercs, and that silver brush, 17 wheats, 1882 indian, 1930 buff, the bells, the key, and the other odds and ends you see in the pictures

today was all around great, the weather, the finds, and good old fashioned comradary with a pal, great hunt dave!, thanks for looking and hh!!

Last edited:
Upvote 21
OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Side question, (and probably with a pretty obvious answer).
When you guys get a permission, how long do you hunt it before moving on? (assuming that
every other hole isn't silver).

If you do start turning silver left & right, what's the plan when the farmer says, "I said you could hunt,
not plow my front lawn!!"

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Either until we feel we have covered the lawn pretty well, or until we become uncomfortable with being watched through the windows, lol!
In the last couple trips, we have had one homeowner on each trip actually leave but say we could stay and detect while they were gone. Seemed odd to me that they would do this and leave 2 strangers on their property, but Chris says it is my boyish charms that beguiled the 2 ladies, lol!

Last edited:

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Little by little, putting the pieces together on this guy. Looking at it today, I find that William Henry Amos was in Scranton, PA in early 1917 (working, living, etc.) when he and others were called in March 1917 for a physical by the local draft board. By June 1917 we have the draft registration card I had researched earlier. It appears Pvt. William and some others were sent for some engineering training at the Carnegie Institute of Technology (now Carnegie Mellon) in Pittsburgh before leaving for war. It appears William survived the war and was honorably discharged in December 1918.

Looks like from local Scranton newspapers in the 1920s that William stuck around his hometown and was in automobile accident in 1924 that fractured his ankle but he received a nice little insurance payout from the accident.

From there not much else on him outside of William makes his way to sunny Santa Barbara,CA where he dies in Jun 1962 and his buried in Santa Barbara. A friend of his Ralph L. Steelman (also born in Pennsylvania and was living in Santa Barbara when William died) appears to have filled out the gravestone forms for military veteran burial for his friend William. The names, birth state of PA and birth date and year match up exactly for this William Henry Amos. It does not appear he ever married.

Some other fun facts, William, when he was drafted was living at 311 Larch Street, Scranton, PA. A google maps search shows the house is still there and it appears to have had some renovations.

Pretty cool I think.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Little by little, putting the pieces together on this guy. Looking at it today, I find that William Henry Amos was in Scranton, PA in early 1917 (working, living, etc.) when he and others were called in March 1917 for a physical by the local draft board. By June 1917 we have the draft registration card I had researched earlier. It appears Pvt. William and some others were sent for some engineering training at the Carnegie Institute of Technology (now Carnegie Mellon) in Pittsburgh before leaving for war. It appears William survived the war and was honorably discharged in December 1918.

Looks like from local Scranton newspapers in the 1920s that William stuck around his hometown and was in automobile accident in 1924 that fractured his ankle but he received a nice little insurance payout from the accident.

From there not much else on him outside of William makes his way to sunny Santa Barbara,CA where he dies in Jun 1962 and his buried in Santa Barbara. A friend of his Ralph L. Steelman (also born in Pennsylvania and was living in Santa Barbara when William died) appears to have filled out the gravestone forms for military veteran burial for his friend William. The names, birth state of PA and birth date and year match up exactly for this William Henry Amos. It does not appear he ever married.

Some other fun facts, William, when he was drafted was living at 311 Larch Street, Scranton, PA. A google maps search shows the house is still there and it appears to have had some renovations.

Pretty cool I think.

Wow, that's so cool, you probly saved me countless hours of research trying to track family down

THANKS AGAIN!!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pretty cool I think.

20141106_153522-1.jpg might not be our guy, I see ames after more cleaning, not amos

DARNIT!!!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can even see the utility room spackling you have to do now and your extra coil hanging on the wall, lol!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can even see the utility room spackling you have to do now and your extra coil hanging on the wall, lol!

I got more hair than that

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crying Peter Parker.jpg LOL I HAD TO!!!

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool finds buddy! :occasion14:
Love the World War I Dog Tag, the crotal bell and the skeleton key!

Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread