Great coin/relic day with olddude HUGE silver!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out with olddude today in a marathon of permission seeking, first spot was ok, dave got some wheats and I managed 1 wheat and this HUGE silver brush thing, I thought it was junk until I saw sterling on the back, i threw it at dave and said before you disregard it as junk look at the back!! Quite the strange find indeed brush b4.jpg ster.jpg brushqd.jpg
brushq.jpg
Nice how it cleaned up!! Plus this strange tag item, not sure what it is, perhaps military? badge.jpg ds.jpg

Next spot should've been better, nice old farm house, very minimal finds, it appeared to have alot of earth moved around, I managed a 1930 buff, the smaller bell and that huge skeleton key

The last spot of the day was the best by far, dave pulled some nice bells from there, I got one as well.
I started in the side yard and got some clad and a few wheats, moved along to the front and the goods practically started jumping out of the ground, xd.jpg dad.jpg ads.jpg dx.jpg

almost right away I got the 46 washington, then the harmonica reeds, then a few more wheats and got a merc, few more wheats and one indian later I got another merc, stepped 2 feet forward and got the 3rd merc!!! MY BEST SILVER DAY YET!! Managed 5 silvers today!:headbang:so I moved toward the backyard and got bell #2 which is the bigger one in the pic, between dave and I we got 6 bells that all ring!
Almost forgot the tootsie car vw bug, love them tootsies, plus the roundball that has the x carved into it, I think it was for deer hunting so it made more of an impact

the take was the 46 Washington, 1936, 38, and 43 mercs, and that silver brush, 17 wheats, 1882 indian, 1930 buff, the bells, the key, and the other odds and ends you see in the pictures

today was all around great, the weather, the finds, and good old fashioned comradary with a pal, great hunt dave!, thanks for looking and hh!!

Last edited:
Upvote 21

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you guys had a great day swinging the coil and have the finds to prove it. Pretty cool you guys found all those bells and the silver is always nice

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, that silver piece really did clean up well. I really did think it was a crumpled aluminum can of some sorts. I was gonna make a video of the bells ringing lol, but decided not to. Great day again, thanks and congrats on your silver day

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you guys had a great day swinging the coil and have the finds to prove it. Pretty cool you guys found all those bells and the silver is always nice

Wow, that silver piece really did clean up well. I really did think it was a crumpled aluminum can of some sorts. I was gonna make a video of the bells ringing lol, but decided not to. Great day again, thanks and congrats on your silver day

It really was odd to find all them bells, that never happens, and that sterling brush thing was quite odd as well, but all in all just a fun day! probly good that you didn't make a video of you playing with your bells lol:laughing7:

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The silver is really cool, but the military ID tag is the real winner! Awesome find!!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great all around hunt. Little bit of everything

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The silver is really cool, but the military ID tag is the real winner! Awesome find!!
Thanks ace!, I think it's military, I just guessed, I suck at identifying things lol

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great all around hunt. Little bit of everything

Thanks abe!, we definitely had a good time, gotta make hay while the grass is growing, weathers gonna get crappy quick and end our seasons

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's definitely military. Private William.... Something. The number is his enlistment number. Researching it now...stay tuned lol

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Sweet finds 5 silvers is a nice day. Nice old sterling hair brush back.

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's definitely military. Private William.... Something. The number is his enlistment number. Researching it now...stay tuned lol

Thanks!, would be really cool if I can id the owner and return it!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that the tag is clean, I can see Pvt. on it, so apparently it IS military. I thought that name might be William H Amos, but can't find anything about him where you found it. Neat!

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Military ID tag is an U.S. aluminum "dog tag" from World War 1. Starting in 1917 U.S. soldiers were each issued two aluminum tags like the one you found. Each would be hand stamped with name, rank, serial number, unit and religion. Pretty cool find indeed.

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, I pounded the Internet and come up with this...carefully get whatever details off it that you can, because if I'm right, I belive you have a banner find! Check this out:

Last edited:

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Military ID tag is an U.S. aluminum "dog tag" from World War 1. Starting in 1917 U.S. soldiers were each issued two aluminum tags like the one you found. Each would be hand stamped with name, rank, serial number, unit and religion. Pretty cool find indeed.

OK...Damn lol. I was really routing for him that it was confederate

OP
OP
cjon455

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK...Damn lol. I was really routing for him that it was confederate

Wow how cool that would've been, thanks for your efforts!!

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Would be cool if it was a Civil War Dog Tag. World War 1 is still pretty damn cool. Plus, Ace, it looks like the name on the tag is "William H Amos" not William F Amos. A second thing, just from what I can see is that the left side below the "W" in William is the letter "C" in the 9 o'clock position. Probably the "C' is for Catholic, his faith. It's hard to make out which infantry unit but the "0TH" and then "INF" means its probably 20th or 30th, 40th...you get the idea.

Those fortunate enough to have dug a disc shaped CW dog tag feel free to can chime in and show the difference in the two. Civil war had disc shapes too but they looked more coin like and had much more detail on them.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really value your knowledge. You have actually taught me alot in your last post about dog tags. Awesome! I blew the pic up on my phone, so probably not an 'F' lol. I'll leave the military finds ID to the experts. Man I was so pumped for him! Still an awesome find tho. Well done!

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
A little further info. While the name is pretty common, I did track down a William Henry Amos, born January 19, 1889 in Scranton, PA (Lackawanna County). He was employed as a "chauffeur" for Dr. B.H. Throop, a well known physician in Lackawanna county. According to his draft card dated June 5, 1917, he was 28, single, and looked after his mother and sister in Scranton.

His service number being in the 1.7 million range falls right in line with the 1 -5.9 million that were issued starting in 1918.

As you live in NE Pennsylvania....I'd say this William H Amos is your guy.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lots of nice silver there but the "Tag" is the icing !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread