Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't worry about it, judging from your picture. You're still young. You'll grow up and put away all the toys one day. ;)

Nice finds!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may find it interesting to note that I've had similar results in small areas WITH THE SAME DETECTOR !
Detectors are strange animals indeed - on some days they apparently don't see some targets - I can't begin to explain why .
I'm aware of this phenomenon happening frequently to others who post here as well (same detector over pounded ground )

Last edited:

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may find it interesting to note that I've had similar results in small areas WITH THE SAME DETECTOR !
Detectors are strange animals indeed

One thing that I do see here is that when a find is made, somehow, it's the metal detector that gets the credit. From what I've seen in the pics, most if not all these finds are made at a depth that just about ANY detector could detect. IF, it's over the target! LOL

C'mon people! Give yourselves some credit! YOU are the one who wound up in the spot where that find was uncovered. YOU, heard and interpreted the signal. YOU did all the work digging it up!

Give yourself some credit, the detector is just a tool. Some better than others, sure, but still JUST a tool.

This is not directed at anybody specifically. Just an IMHO.

OP
OP
vabuckhunter

vabuckhunter

Mar 14, 2011
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
I agree whadifind but the site is so iron infested the E Trac would mostly just null out no matter how slow I went, I even purchased a 6 inch coiltek coil just for this spot which helped but the E Trac is no match for the Deus in heavy iron in my opinion. I dont think it would matter how many times I hit this site with the E Trac I would have found these targets. I think its probably 80% operator and 20% machine unless its deeper than some machines can go.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree whadifind but the site is so iron infested the E Trac would mostly just null out no matter how slow I went, I even purchased a 6 inch coiltek coil just for this spot which helped but the E Trac is no match for the Deus in heavy iron in my opinion. I dont think it would matter how many times I hit this site with the E Trac I would have found these targets. I think its probably 80% operator and 20% machine unless its deeper than some machines can go.

Like I said, tools. Some may be better but I'm willing to bet there are experts on the E Trac who would be able to tell the signal. Not that you aren't expert enough. Just that I've seen some pretty spectacular detectorists out there. I swear it's half skill and half esp!

I'm just saying, people? Give yourselves some credit! It's NEVER all the machine. :)

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Separation ability is an attribute of a machine that operator skill can not overcome when it's not there. Processing speed is critical. I'm biased because I have one, but I don't know of another machine that can spit out target sounds machine gun style like the Deus.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All the AT PRO guys talk this way... I have one too and it nulls out good targets when iron is present... do some tests and you will see...

Ground Inspector

Feb 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
18" Excelerator Coil
Minelab CTX 3030
06 Smart Coil
17 Smart Coil
Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I have a ctx and love it. It is definitely better than the se pro and etrac? How does the ctx compare to the deus?

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the AT PRO guys talk this way... I have one too and it nulls out good targets when iron is present... do some tests and you will see...

Now, ya see? I'm not Whadifind. I'm labeled with being a "AT PRO guy". All because I attempted to get people to give themselves a lil bit of credit for finding something. They are all still tools. Now, if one uses a ball-peen hammer instead of a claw hammer to pull out nails, they're going to have a tougher time. Some tools are better at one aspect or another. Having the right tool still applies. BUT, even that absolutely best, God given, perfect machine will do absolutely nothing, if we don't pick it up, turn it on, and get it over a target.

I use and CHOSE the AT-Pro for one aspect. It is the absolute best, all around detector for.....and now pay attention and get this.....ME and MY type of hunting. It was the BEST one that I could afford and it was broad enough to handle what I figured to be doing the rest of my life.

As an aside, from what I have seen, there isn't another that does as much under such a broad expanse of conditions. It's deep enough, fast enough, separates well enough, stays dry enough and takes enough of the kind of punishment I tend to dish out.
But, even this one just stands like a lump in the corner unless I learn it and use it.

So, happy hunting everyone! Lighten up and learn your machine, whatever you have, you'll enjoy it more.
Just don't forget who's really in charge out there. Not all the machine's fault nor all it's credit. :)

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you only really knew....

Ground Inspector

Feb 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
18" Excelerator Coil
Minelab CTX 3030
06 Smart Coil
17 Smart Coil
Garret Propointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I've detected with an at pro user, and the ctx can outperform the at pro in all ground conditions (if used correctly).

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Deus is a great machine. I like and dislike it for different reasons, but it can really do a good job. I kind of miss mine.

The Deus will find some that the CTX misses and vise versa. The Deus is faster so you don't have to work so hard in the trash like you do with the CTX. It is also like swinging a broom handle all day.

Both machines have their own strengths, but they also will pretty much do what a detector is designed for.

Like it was said; the Minelabs will null out. Try placing a 1 ounce silver coin 2 inches from the coil and see what happens. I am not sure what the coin will do 2 inches in the ground under a CTX or Etrac coil, but when I find out I will let everyone know.

Last edited:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The CTX masks good targets in iron just like the AT PRO does... The DEUS runs circles around a CTX...

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Knew what? That the machine that I chose for me because it was the best I could afford isn't caviar?

But of COURSE, who in the world am I???

To argue with a "master jedi" !

:notworthy:

I shall shut up now and return back to the depths of my corner, quietly master.

Go forth and show us all the greatness of finds that you bring to bask in the brightness of your light.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The CTX masks good targets in iron just like the AT PRO does... The DEUS runs circles around a CTX...

I would probably have to agree with you, but I am not sure if there is any conventional detector that can out pace the Deus. The Deus works so quickly even in Reactivity 1 or 2 that the sounds are almost too fast to hear.

OP
OP
vabuckhunter

vabuckhunter

Mar 14, 2011
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
I've never used a CTX so I can't say the difference between it and the Deus but comparing the Deus to the E Trac I'd say they both have cons and pros. I don't care for the tones on the Deus and the it seems the vdi isn't as accurate. The E Trac is just to heavy and recovery speed is slow. I hear great things about the ctx and I believe these two machines would compliment each other very well.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to get a bad case of detector envy some years ago when I read about the depths and regular finds of some SE Pro , and E-trac
users , then I realized that there were plenty of people making finds with Ace 250 ,or 350 - and some members here making finds with
Bounty Hunters (fairly low end units ) that I still dream of finding with my "mid price point " MXT . No matter which machine any of
us hunts with - somebody can always come along and say their head to head results are better with this or that machine . I think the
important thing is to love detecting , and get your "coil to the soil " as often as you can - and in as many different types of hunting
locations as you can - no matter if your swinging a $250. dollar unit , an $800. dollar unit , or a $3500. unit .

OP
OP
vabuckhunter

vabuckhunter

Mar 14, 2011
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Whadifind I also own the AT Pro and for the money there's no other machine that can touch it. I bought the E Trac wanting more depth but I think in my heavily mineralized soil they are tit for tat in depth. The pro might not be in the same class as the minelabs or the Deus but the others aren't worth triple the money either in my opinion.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im going to have to chime in on this one..
I own both detectors...I love them both..
With that said, Before today i would of said that the deus cant go that deep..
Im wrong..I just got back from Andy sabisch boot camp on the deus..And wow..I learned alot..In a test garden i was finding a quarter at 12inches..Never thought it was that deep...
Now with the ctx its like driving a Cadillac
Smooth and nice...If it tells me its a silver dime at 9inch you bet ur a--- thats what it is....But when it comes to the iron and trash..It struggles!!!! No where near what the etrac does but not even half as great as the deus..
Anyway to wrap this up IMO...If you want to go pull coins out of a place thats never been hit the ctx will be a blast...If you want to go find things that other people missed in the iron and trash go get a deus...
Thats my 2cents...
George

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread