πŸ₯‡ BANNER AHABS WHITE WHALE: 1652 PINE TREE & 1664 COB

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a day! I woke up very early and headed out. Had to stop for a 9 volt at a local store. There was a cop car sitting there with the number 8 on the side. I am extremely superstitious and 8 is my lucky number. In fact, I'm so superstitious that if I set an alarm or the microwave it has to end in 8. And when I go detecting I won't get out of my truck until the time ends in 8. Ok now that you all know how psychotic I am I can get to the finds. I got into the woods and instantly got lost. Lost for about 2 hours and my phone had no reception so I couldn't use google earth. I finally got myself oriented and got into the area I wanted to be in. The finds came slow but there was no modern trash so that was nice. I got a couple of deep round balls the found nothing about an hour. I decided I was going to just get down by the water and walk the edge. I've had some luck doing this in the past. Barely any signals at all. At one point the edge of the bank gave way and down I went. Got myself back up the hill and realized my setting had gotten screwed up. So I got my machine set up again and a couple minutes later I got a deep signal. Not a very good signal. But I dug a couple inches off the top and scanned it again. It sounded much better after that. I dug a nice big plug and it was still down below. Finally I got ahold of the object and pulled it out. I don't want to sound over dramatic here but some dirt fell off the coin and I could clearly see the branches of the tree. I swear I couldn't breath for a few seconds. I knew I had just dug Lifetime #1. On my wish list. It's a feeling that I can't put into words and for anybody who's felt it....well it's just incredible. Put that baby in my keeper case and finally regained my composure. I took a few steps and got another deep signal. Once I fought through the roots for about 20 minutes I got my fingers on a very thin disc. I pulled it out and had no idea what it was. I thought I could see a design but just packed it into another keeper case and carried on. A few minuts later I found a copper coin and a very old button.
I know how stupid this is going to sound but I'm gonna tell you guys anyway. After about 20 minutes I honestly had to look in my case because I just could not believe what I had just found. After I got home I emailed IP for some advice. He graciously helped me with some advice and a bit later and put both of the coins in lemon juice. I could not believe that the other mystery disc was a 1664 cob, another lifetime wish list find. And I am so damn happy to have a hammered coin in my collection.
Today was an absolute dream come true and the pay off for tons of research and lots of hours hiking through the woods digging holes. I'm glad I was able to share this day with my Tnet friends. You've all been very supportive.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 172

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Just remember everyone - even though this is an obvious banner find, per the rules of the forum you need to click on the banner nomination button and leave your comment. Just mentioning "banner" in your post doesn't count. Just read the moderator's post at the top of this forum for all the details.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well you really lifted the my spirits as I just finished reading about the other issue that's up on the Banner. Abe yours will be a perfect replacement up there and the vote will be going in for you on this great hunt. Man ol man what a hunt, three keepers each one out doing the other ending in a day that you'll probably remember for many years to come. Congrats Abe on your beautiful finds.:notworthy:

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Man oh man, I am so happy for you. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't green with envy but you definitely deserve these amazing finds. It's crazy how often you mentioned that you wanted to find a tree coin. It didn't take long. Well done and congratulations!

19cbb

Nov 16, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Too bad this amazing find has to wait to receive banner because of the bronze age axe a$$hole... ???

Heres your banner! :award_star_gold_3:

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy crap! umm whats more to say! Ok other than now this is banner!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone. What an incredible feeling. I literally was having a hard time breathing. Then I had to stand up and just walk around looking up at the sky shaking my head lol. Being from the northeast and absolutely loving history like I do, this coin is very very special to me. This coin is the ultimate symbol that I think of when it comes to early colonial history. I can only imagine what may have happened on that rivers edge to cause this settler to lose these coins. Was he/she fleeing for his/her life? Was it just a normal day and he/she was there having a picnic with the family? I will never know but it's such an honor to be the caretaker of these incredible symbols of history.
I had just told my mom and girlfriend that I'd love to have one good solid hunt before winter. Never imagined this.
The only regret I have is that I can't share this with my grandfather. He loved old coins and had some really nice ones in his safe when he passed. He would have loved seeing these.

Last edited:

Bob207

Jul 4, 2014
Maine
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/AT Pro
Garrett AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wicked! Must have been a heart stopper when you saw what it was. Congrats on a fantastic find!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, a dream day. It seems to be the year of the tree coins...lol

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats Abe. One question.....what are you gonna set your sights on now??? Banner coming to you.

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!wow!wow! Incredible score on both of those. That's top two wish list finds right there. Good for you man. That's an obvious banner. You must be on cloud 8 right now. Laughing. Are you still shaking from excitement?

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can we vote that each gets a banner pic??!?

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely amazing finds!! :notworthy::hello2::headbang:. Something we all dream of right there. :thumbsup:

Chuxter

Jul 29, 2013
Unbelievable!! Thanks for sharing so many of us can live vicariously through you. Love reading your posts, and also seeing all of the history you are saving. I'm so happy for you, and understand how much time and effort has went into your adventures. Congratulations- you deserve it.

looknforgold

Apr 30, 2011
Somewhere in the US of A
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal 1000, Minelab Equinox 800, Anderson Shafts, Garrett Pro Pointer, SEF Coils and CoinTOTE, AND........
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some awesome finds, Congrats. very nice INDEED!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread