Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree298Likes

Thread: AHABS WHITE WHALE: 1652 PINE TREE & 1664 COB

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2013
    Topsham, Maine
    Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
    8157 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

AHABS WHITE WHALE: 1652 PINE TREE & 1664 COB

What a day! I woke up very early and headed out. Had to stop for a 9 volt at a local store. There was a cop car sitting there with the number 8 on the side. I am extremely superstitious and 8 is my lucky number. In fact, I'm so superstitious that if I set an alarm or the microwave it has to end in 8. And when I go detecting I won't get out of my truck until the time ends in 8. Ok now that you all know how psychotic I am I can get to the finds. I got into the woods and instantly got lost. Lost for about 2 hours and my phone had no reception so I couldn't use google earth. I finally got myself oriented and got into the area I wanted to be in. The finds came slow but there was no modern trash so that was nice. I got a couple of deep round balls the found nothing about an hour. I decided I was going to just get down by the water and walk the edge. I've had some luck doing this in the past. Barely any signals at all. At one point the edge of the bank gave way and down I went. Got myself back up the hill and realized my setting had gotten screwed up. So I got my machine set up again and a couple minutes later I got a deep signal. Not a very good signal. But I dug a couple inches off the top and scanned it again. It sounded much better after that. I dug a nice big plug and it was still down below. Finally I got ahold of the object and pulled it out. I don't want to sound over dramatic here but some dirt fell off the coin and I could clearly see the branches of the tree. I swear I couldn't breath for a few seconds. I knew I had just dug Lifetime #1. On my wish list. It's a feeling that I can't put into words and for anybody who's felt it....well it's just incredible. Put that baby in my keeper case and finally regained my composure. I took a few steps and got another deep signal. Once I fought through the roots for about 20 minutes I got my fingers on a very thin disc. I pulled it out and had no idea what it was. I thought I could see a design but just packed it into another keeper case and carried on. A few minuts later I found a copper coin and a very old button.
    I know how stupid this is going to sound but I'm gonna tell you guys anyway. After about 20 minutes I honestly had to look in my case because I just could not believe what I had just found. After I got home I emailed IP for some advice. He graciously helped me with some advice and a bit later and put both of the coins in lemon juice. I could not believe that the other mystery disc was a 1664 cob, another lifetime wish list find. And I am so damn happy to have a hammered coin in my collection.
    Today was an absolute dream come true and the pay off for tons of research and lots of hours hiking through the woods digging holes. I'm glad I was able to share this day with my Tnet friends. You've all been very supportive.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	2070 
Size:	681.4 KB 
ID:	1077151

Views:	2079 
Size:	882.2 KB 
ID:	1077152

Views:	2048 
Size:	316.1 KB 
ID:	1077153

Views:	1923 
Size:	260.6 KB 
ID:	1077154

Views:	2009 
Size:	415.6 KB 
ID:	1077155

Views:	1853 
Size:	281.9 KB 
ID:	1077156

Views:	2053 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	1077157

Views:	2043 
Size:	822.6 KB 
ID:	1077158

Views:	1723 
Size:	249.8 KB 
ID:	1077159

Views:	1808 
Size:	453.1 KB 
ID:	1077160
    "Life which is lived without zest and adventure-is not life at all."
    -F.A. Mitchell-Hedges, British Explorer
    2017 BEST FINDS
    -1723 KG1
    -Colonial Cufflinks
    Oldest Coin To Date: 1652 Pine Tree Shilling NOE 29
    Colonial Silver To Date: 11
    Hammered Coins To Date: 1664 Potosi Mint COB
    1653 Copper Cob

us
    Dec 2006
    Colonial Virginia
    XP Deus Teknetics T2
    1385 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Holy crap
    gleaner1 and coinman123 like this.

us
    Oct 2014
    Mid Atlantic / East coast
    XP DEUS
    657 times
    Relic Hunting
    Well good grief thats fantastic!

Well you did it! You'll never forget that hunt.

You forgot to add your coin is NOE-29.

us
    Dec 2006
    Colonial Virginia
    XP Deus Teknetics T2
    1385 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    What a freaking day! I'm shaking for you Ahab. For someone who is fairly new to the hobby you have made some great finds but today has put you in elite status. I'm super happy for you man. Oh yeah.....Banner!

us
    Feb 2013
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800
    696 times
    Yup...I just nominated banner for the finds. Research & hard work and well deserved finds.

us
    Bryant

Aug 2013
    Eastern N.C.
    Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
    1125 times
    HOLY CRAP! Banner for sure! My votes in! Congrats man!

Oh man Abe - I'm so happy for you!!! What an incredible find, and it's greatly deserved as you're one of the few hardcore hunters who do it the right way with heavy research and walking many miles in the fields in search of that elusive, early site. Just like Joey said, I'm still shaking myself after reading your exciting story. You had me on edge the whole time even though I knew the outcome .... lol! I got your emails, but I would not attempt any cleaning at this time. I recommend you first determine the variety and possible rarity as you don't want to do something you'll regret later. Don in SJ is an expert on ID'ing the different varieties so hopefully he or someone equally knowledgeable will chime in soon. And I don't want to forget to congratulate you on that awesome cob too. Can't believe you made 2 incredible firsts on the same hunt, but it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Please keep me posted on what you can find out about your silver tree. See ya ....
    Last edited by Bill D. (VA); Nov 14, 2014 at 06:30 AM.
    MY BOOK HAS SOLD OUT OF ALL 1200+ COPIES IN LESS THAN 4 MONTHS. NO 2ND PRINTING IS ANTICIPATED AT THIS TIME. THANKS TO ALL WHO MADE THIS PROJECT A SUCCESS.

Your halfpenny is a cast George II counterfeit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yyy.jpg 
Views:	1128 
Size:	627.3 KB 
ID:	1077167  
    terpfan likes this.

Wow...just freakin' wow!!! Congrats!
    Instagram - @romeoonethree

us
    Feb 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Whites, MXT.
    4590 times
    UNBEFREAKINLIEVABLE Man !!! Those finds are so ridiculously BANNER - I'm speechless Ahab8 -( and that's not like me !)

Congratulations .

ca
    May 2008
    Omega, F75, AT Pro
    2637 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Just five days ago you said "Congrats on that 1600s coin....still looking for mine lol."

Well you go and dig two of them in back to back holes, that is just crazy awesome.
    The shilling is a beauty, great condition, and fully round. Fantastic find.

us
    Coin licker

Jun 2013
    New Jersey
    Minelab Excalibur II XP Deus Garrett pro pointer XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
    10905 times
    Banner baby yeah, I'm so glad for you bud! Now add to the essentials list.......allergy meds, compass.......
    I love this hobby so much, now I'm a coin licker!

Congrats on making the Banner Because it won't take long.

SS
    ANTIQUARIAN likes this.
    Don't piss down my back, then tell me it's raining.

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links