🥇 BANNER AHABS WHITE WHALE: 1652 PINE TREE & 1664 COB

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a day! I woke up very early and headed out. Had to stop for a 9 volt at a local store. There was a cop car sitting there with the number 8 on the side. I am extremely superstitious and 8 is my lucky number. In fact, I'm so superstitious that if I set an alarm or the microwave it has to end in 8. And when I go detecting I won't get out of my truck until the time ends in 8. Ok now that you all know how psychotic I am I can get to the finds. I got into the woods and instantly got lost. Lost for about 2 hours and my phone had no reception so I couldn't use google earth. I finally got myself oriented and got into the area I wanted to be in. The finds came slow but there was no modern trash so that was nice. I got a couple of deep round balls the found nothing about an hour. I decided I was going to just get down by the water and walk the edge. I've had some luck doing this in the past. Barely any signals at all. At one point the edge of the bank gave way and down I went. Got myself back up the hill and realized my setting had gotten screwed up. So I got my machine set up again and a couple minutes later I got a deep signal. Not a very good signal. But I dug a couple inches off the top and scanned it again. It sounded much better after that. I dug a nice big plug and it was still down below. Finally I got ahold of the object and pulled it out. I don't want to sound over dramatic here but some dirt fell off the coin and I could clearly see the branches of the tree. I swear I couldn't breath for a few seconds. I knew I had just dug Lifetime #1. On my wish list. It's a feeling that I can't put into words and for anybody who's felt it....well it's just incredible. Put that baby in my keeper case and finally regained my composure. I took a few steps and got another deep signal. Once I fought through the roots for about 20 minutes I got my fingers on a very thin disc. I pulled it out and had no idea what it was. I thought I could see a design but just packed it into another keeper case and carried on. A few minuts later I found a copper coin and a very old button.
I know how stupid this is going to sound but I'm gonna tell you guys anyway. After about 20 minutes I honestly had to look in my case because I just could not believe what I had just found. After I got home I emailed IP for some advice. He graciously helped me with some advice and a bit later and put both of the coins in lemon juice. I could not believe that the other mystery disc was a 1664 cob, another lifetime wish list find. And I am so damn happy to have a hammered coin in my collection.
Today was an absolute dream come true and the pay off for tons of research and lots of hours hiking through the woods digging holes. I'm glad I was able to share this day with my Tnet friends. You've all been very supportive.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 172

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you did it! :occasion14: You'll never forget that hunt.

You forgot to add your coin is NOE-29.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a freaking day! I'm shaking for you Ahab. For someone who is fairly new to the hobby you have made some great finds but today has put you in elite status. I'm super happy for you man. Oh yeah.....Banner!

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup...I just nominated banner for the finds. Research & hard work and well deserved finds.

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOLY CRAP! Banner for sure! My votes in!:occasion14: Congrats man!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh man Abe - I'm so happy for you!!! What an incredible find, and it's greatly deserved as you're one of the few hardcore hunters who do it the right way with heavy research and walking many miles in the fields in search of that elusive, early site. Just like Joey said, I'm still shaking myself after reading your exciting story. You had me on edge the whole time even though I knew the outcome .... lol! I got your emails, but I would not attempt any cleaning at this time. I recommend you first determine the variety and possible rarity as you don't want to do something you'll regret later. Don in SJ is an expert on ID'ing the different varieties so hopefully he or someone equally knowledgeable will chime in soon. And I don't want to forget to congratulate you on that awesome cob too. Can't believe you made 2 incredible firsts on the same hunt, but it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Please keep me posted on what you can find out about your silver tree. See ya ....

Last edited:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh, and I almost forgot -- BANNER!!!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your halfpenny is a cast George II counterfeit.

Attachments

• yyy.jpg
    yyy.jpg
    573 KB · Views: 1,385

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UNBEFREAKINLIEVABLE Man !!! Those finds are so ridiculously BANNER - I'm speechless Ahab8 -( and that's not like me !)

Congratulations .

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just five days ago you said "Congrats on that 1600s coin....still looking for mine lol."

Well you go and dig two of them in back to back holes, that is just crazy awesome.
The shilling is a beauty, great condition, and fully round. Fantastic find.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner baby yeah, I'm so glad for you bud! Now add to the essentials list.......allergy meds, compass.......

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:notworthy:

Congrats on making the Banner :thumbsup: Because it won't take long.:laughing7:

SS

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner..Banner..Banner. ..Like i said to you a ton of times..Anyone can go up to someone's house and ask to detect,and find a old coin(LIKE ME) ..But the real hunter is the one that does the research then goes out to find the place (gets lost and falls down a cliff) Then finds there dream coin!!!!
When you sent me that pic when you were still in the woods i screamed and and my 2year old started crying thinking something was wrong....
Thanks for sharing the hunt with me..
I felt like i was there with you!!!
Oh and by the way....Number 8???
Yeh you got issues....lol.

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man! What a day! I would have had second thoughts on contacting a Gent wearing a Cape. Laughing. Congrats again!

Kirk

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The find of a lifetime Abe. Used the text pic ya sent me and put that puppy up in my FB page like a proud Uncle or something. I even reluctantly admitted I didn't make the recovery. Couldn't be much more proud had I dug it myself ( OK..... I lied a little about that, but not too much ). Man just no words for such a coin. And the condition.......sick. Add the Cobb too it and you had about as good a day as any of us could ever dream of. Keep it up and we are gonna have to put that T2 in the Smithsonian. That gets a BANNER vote from me. Congrats again.....

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big congrats! That's a very special find! I'd live to break into the 1600s one day. I know I'll see it up on the banner soon!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions