Papadawgdan

Tenderfoot
Oct 25, 2014
Hanford, Ca
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now I truely understand why this hobby is so addictive. Even though I did not find anything of real value each item found was a little surprise when I unearthed it. I think the coolest thing I found was a smashed token penny. Of course I found my fair share of foil wrappers, at least I could find solace in the fact that I did my small part in cleaning up the beach.

Upvote 7

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now I truely understand why this hobby is so addictive. Even though I did not find anything of real value each item found was a little surprise when I unearthed it. I think the coolest thing I found was a smashed token penny. Of course I found my fair share of foil wrappers, at least I could find solace in the fact that I did my small part in cleaning up the beach.

Just wait until you unearth your first silver coin or piece of gold jewelry, and then you will feel the true addiction.

I'll be in Pismo later this week to try my luck on the beaches. The nice thing about that area is even if you don't find much, the sunsets over ocean can't be beat.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you hit it when you said ever dig is a Adventure, you just never know and it can happen any where...Good Luck

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was wondering how you did,I tried Santa Cruz and Monterey one weekend not much a few pennies and a foreign coin. The beaches get hammered by the locals so it is hard to find anything good but you never know what they might miss.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The last time I was at Pismo, which was several years ago, they had a riding machine they were using to clean the beach, and I found very little. Anybody ever try that nude beach at pirates cove?

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck, I hope you find many amazing finds while metal detecting, it's truly an exciting hobby.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last time I was at Pismo, which was several years ago, they had a riding machine they were using to clean the beach, and I found very little. Anybody ever try that nude beach at pirates cove?

Yeah all I got was a sunburn in unmentionable places LOL. No but that is a good idea they strip down so they could very well lose goodies or forget them while dressing.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what pulled us all in, it's the thrill of the hunt that lures us to search. Actually finding a valuable treasure is just a cherry on an already delicious cake.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah all I got was a sunburn in unmentionable places LOL. No but that is a good idea they strip down so they could very well lose goodies or forget them while dressing.
Why not? There is no law saying you got to be naked to go down there, and there is no way that one of those beach cleaning machines can get in there, and I bet not many metal detectors have ever gone down there. If I was living there now I think I'd search mostly along the cliff. Back when I was a kid, (my great great grandmother was one of -- if not the first protestant woman in San Luis Obispo in 1867) (The Catholic Church had been established there in 1772) that wasn't Pirate's Cove, it was Cave Landing, and during the prohibition boot leggers ran booze through there. WWII a Japanese family owned the land and their house was where the parking is now. I remember the house, the family had been moved to a concentration camp, and never came back. Go down there on a cold morning where they would have to many goose bumps to go naked on the beach if it is embarrassing, which is probably what I'd do.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

nope got pics?

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Why not? There is no law saying you got to be naked to go down there, and there is no way that one of those beach cleaning machines can get in there, and I bet not many metal detectors have ever gone down there. If I was living there now I think I'd search mostly along the cliff. Back when I was a kid, (my great great grandmother was one of -- if not the first protestant woman in San Luis Obispo in 1867) (The Catholic Church had been established there in 1772) that wasn't Pirate's Cove, it was Cave Landing, and during the prohibition boot leggers ran booze through there. WWII a Japanese family owned the land and their house was where the parking is now. I remember the house, the family had been moved to a concentration camp, and never came back. Go down there on a cold morning where they would have to many goose bumps to go naked on the beach if it is embarrassing, which is probably what I'd do.

Looks like my idea isn't all that original, I got to looking around and found two videos on hunting Pirates Cove at Avila. All either one of them found was a little clad, so it's probably not worth the effort, and I certainly wouldn't want to join the nekked crowd and get my lilly white fanny to be turned bright red from sun burn. Besides, I can't stand ridicule, and people would be laughing and pointing. As a side note, I have a high school buddy that still lives in that high dollar area, and he used to hunt Pismo before the beach cleaning machine. His wife wears some really pretty rings he found on that beach. As a side note, when I was a kid in the 40's nobody went to Pismo. It was only good for digging clams. When the tide was right, we'd go there and give her heck, but for swimming everybody went to Avila. I was down there a couple of years ago -- and I realize you can't ever go back -- but frankly I think Avila sucks now. In those days to get to Port San Luis you crossed the old railroad bridge and it was a one lane dirt road to get there. There was a hamburger shack by the county dock that had the very best hamburgers ever, with just the right amount of sand in them. What a treat that was, but it's all gone, I didn't like what they had done to the town, I have memories, and I don't want to ruin them by looking at what's there now.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like my idea isn't all that original, I got to looking around and found two videos on hunting Pirates Cove at Avila. All either one of them found was a little clad, so it's probably not worth the effort, and I certainly wouldn't want to join the nekked crowd and get my lilly white fanny to be turned bright red from sun burn. Besides, I can't stand ridicule, and people would be laughing and pointing. As a side note, I have a high school buddy that still lives in that high dollar area, and he used to hunt Pismo before the beach cleaning machine. His wife wears some really pretty rings he found on that beach. As a side note, when I was a kid in the 40's nobody went to Pismo. It was only good for digging clams. When the tide was right, we'd go there and give her heck, but for swimming everybody went to Avila. I was down there a couple of years ago -- and I realize you can't ever go back -- but frankly I think Avila sucks now. In those days to get to Port San Luis you crossed the old railroad bridge and it was a one lane dirt road to get there. There was a hamburger shack by the county dock that had the very best hamburgers ever, with just the right amount of sand in them. What a treat that was, but it's all gone, I didn't like what they had done to the town, I have memories, and I don't want to ruin them by looking at what's there now.

Same deal in my hometown it is designated a historical landmark and yet there is a Subway sandwich shop in a Gold rush town?So much for historical designation.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never know whats coming out of the ground...welcome to the addiction...don't worry, it gets worse. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread