18th Century in Kentucky, USA Rev War button,KG II Copper,New Jersey Copper and More

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My Brother (lifesagarden.digit) and myself got out today for a few hours to where i had found my 1787 New Jersey Copper Last week. i have been researching the area and checking maps trying to pinpoint where a site might be on this huge farm. So it took us about a hour finding newer type finds from the 19th and 20th century which is what we normally always enjoy searching for, but We was on a mission today to find a 1700's site. We finally started hitting more iron and than some flat buttons, than round pistol balls and melted lead than a real good signal rang out and little did we Know it was going to be another first for us Kentucky boys, A 1732 King George II half Penny !!! We took a moment for the excitement and thought of how we just dug two amazing finds on this farm within a week, but knew there may be more so we got back to swinging and digging some 5 thimbles, numerous buttons, early flat buttons, tombac, pewter, ball buttons and a Saddle Shield. We was hoping for another Copper and kept at it still digging some really nice finds including a few What is it's. than the time was closing in for when I had to Leave to pick up my Daughter, so we give it a last 15 minutes when BAM ANOTHER FIRST!!! Except this time not a Copper, It's a Rev War 1775 Continental Army U.S.A Pewter Button!!! The thrill and Excitement of Finding a Piece of Our Early American History here in Kentucky has made a Day we will never forget. it's killing us that we had to Leave but I can only imagine, what finds are still there waiting for us.

to Find A USA Button right here at Veterans Day is Something I'M Glad We both can share with all the Veterans of Tnet and all others to see, a button that to me Represents the Starting of Our Freedom as a Country created by all that has served. Thank You for your Service.

Added: After cleaning more on the Broken Pewter button half, I was able to determine that it's a Script "I" Revolutionary War Infantry button.

Thanks for Looking and Good Luck to all, Bill

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 233
  • photo (14).JPG
    photo (14).JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 147
  • photo (16).JPG
    photo (16).JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 140
  • photo (19).JPG
    photo (19).JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Upvote 18

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It breaks my heart that this button doesn't get more attention. I'll shut up now but you got all my respect brother

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the USA! Thats a great find & has To be a rare find for Kentucky! That's on the top of my list. I have permission to a Rev War site & 2 have been dug (by my friends!!!) Thats a little frustrating but I hope there's still one there for me!

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What is this?

It's half of another pewter button that I found very close to the USA button. I been trying to figure out what the markings are on the front. the piece that looks like arrow points is another mystery to me. It seems to be harness related but haven't found a match.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's half of another pewter button that I found very close to the USA button. I been trying to figure out what the markings are on the front. the piece that looks like arrow points is another mystery to me. It seems to be harness related but haven't found a match.

Try matching against this? There's better pics of real ones if you think maybe, but that drawing is likely quite accurate.

Attachments

• 6622134.png
    6622134.png
    33.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some knowledgeable people have opined that this should be on the banner. I think what sometimes puts things over the top is a perspective on how rare something is. I frankly have no idea because I don't know about that button. I feel like this should be up there but I want some more background info; when it was made and for what forces, how many are out there, what they sell for etc. Maybe that will help educate those of us that don't know much about the button. It's super cool, there's no doubt about that, and I'd feel bad for the guy that found it if it doesn't get the attention it deserves.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some knowledgeable people have opined that this should be on the banner. I think what sometimes puts things over the top is a perspective on how rare something is. I frankly have no idea because I don't know about that button. I feel like this should be up there but I want some more background info; when it was made and for what forces, how many are out there, what they sell for etc. Maybe that will help educate those of us that don't know much about the button. It's super cool, there's no doubt about that, and I'd feel bad for the guy that found it if it doesn't get the attention it deserves.

One in extremely good condition should always go up. One in only so so condition found where they are very possible should probably not.... and one found where it's very unlikely is a tough call.

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Try matching against this? There's better pics of real ones if you think maybe, but that drawing is likely quite accurate.

I hadn't done alot of cleaning on it, but now after spending some time picking at the detail. I believe it's a Script I . here is 2 more that i found with the others hoping someone can tell me something about them.

photo (13).JPG

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hadn't done alot of cleaning on it, but now after spending some time picking at the detail. I believe it's a Script I . here is 2 more that i found with the others hoping someone can tell me something about them.

Yeah script I makes a mot more sense for where you are, but there has been a USA dug up here mixed with Loyalist buttons so who knows. Also think there was an officer RFA dug in NC, which is odd, but that's what i was told.

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah script I makes a mot more sense for where you are, but there has been a USA dug up here mixed with Loyalist buttons so who knows. Also think there was an officer RFA dug in NC, which is odd, but that's what i was told.

Finding the military type relics earlier than the U.S Civil War and than early colonial finds at this homesite is a Great learning experience. i'm use to common early flat buttons and even spanish reales and e.t.c but alot of the relics were finding here I have never dug before. I can't wait to see what's next and glad you and others are here on Tnet to help with the Experience.

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sorry I did not vote Banner in my first comment on this post . A genuine Pewter USA button is a Banner find weather found in KY. or the moon . MaineRelic

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am sorry I did not vote Banner in my first comment on this post . A genuine Pewter USA button is a Banner find weather found in KY. or the moon . MaineRelic

Thank you, when I think about my finds from this Homesite and how rare they are being found here in Kentucky, I try to imagine all that had to be done over 200 yrs ago for this Family to be here in Ky. I first find a New Jersey Copper which makes me Believe this may be where they first Lived, than I find The USA button and a Script I button from the Revolutionary War which Shows he Served in the War that give us Freedom and than they Travel all the way here to Kentucky to start a new Life and on this Journey to the Wilderness they have to worry about Indian raids and Survival. I may think too much i don't know, but a Man to do what he did for his Family and for Our Country has definitely earned my total Respect and I will Proudly show my Finds to all to see and I plan to offer them on Loan to Display for our Local Museum. I would Love to see this USA button make banner in respect of all those that has served . but if it's not to be, at Least I was able to share it on the forum.

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I revised the pics, Does anyone know if the piece with the ends that look like arrows. is this a Military type or ?

Last edited:

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine found a USA button in the park i search he sold it and got a good buck for it...Nice finds...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread