18th Century in Kentucky, USA Rev War button,KG II Copper,New Jersey Copper and More

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My Brother (lifesagarden.digit) and myself got out today for a few hours to where i had found my 1787 New Jersey Copper Last week. i have been researching the area and checking maps trying to pinpoint where a site might be on this huge farm. So it took us about a hour finding newer type finds from the 19th and 20th century which is what we normally always enjoy searching for, but We was on a mission today to find a 1700's site. We finally started hitting more iron and than some flat buttons, than round pistol balls and melted lead than a real good signal rang out and little did we Know it was going to be another first for us Kentucky boys, A 1732 King George II half Penny !!! We took a moment for the excitement and thought of how we just dug two amazing finds on this farm within a week, but knew there may be more so we got back to swinging and digging some 5 thimbles, numerous buttons, early flat buttons, tombac, pewter, ball buttons and a Saddle Shield. We was hoping for another Copper and kept at it still digging some really nice finds including a few What is it's. than the time was closing in for when I had to Leave to pick up my Daughter, so we give it a last 15 minutes when BAM ANOTHER FIRST!!! Except this time not a Copper, It's a Rev War 1775 Continental Army U.S.A Pewter Button!!! The thrill and Excitement of Finding a Piece of Our Early American History here in Kentucky has made a Day we will never forget. it's killing us that we had to Leave but I can only imagine, what finds are still there waiting for us.

to Find A USA Button right here at Veterans Day is Something I'M Glad We both can share with all the Veterans of Tnet and all others to see, a button that to me Represents the Starting of Our Freedom as a Country created by all that has served. Thank You for your Service.

Added: After cleaning more on the Broken Pewter button half, I was able to determine that it's a Script "I" Revolutionary War Infantry button.

Thanks for Looking and Good Luck to all, Bill

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 234
  • photo (14).JPG
    photo (14).JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 148
  • photo (16).JPG
    photo (16).JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 141
  • photo (19).JPG
    photo (19).JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Upvote 18

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, It's amazing you found a "USA" button in Kentucky (or anywhere). It is truly worthy of banner, and on the top of most relic hunter's bucket list. I most people only dream of finding a "USA" button. Congrats on that amazing piece of history! Also, the KGII is in great shape, mine are all toasted! That looks like that place has the same age as most places on the Northeast coast, plus Revolutionary War activity, hit that place hard. Congrats!

You got my Banner vote!

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow wow wow! A USA button is a rare find indeed. That is just incredible. To me one of the holy grails of detecting. I'm going to vote banner because in my eyes it represents the most important time in this countries history and the struggle to gain our freedom and independence. Congrats on that baby, and the nice early kg

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that my friend is an incredible hunt. Sites like those are few and far between. Congrats

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats to you! Show 'em how a Ky hunter does it! Go Cats.

greaser

Oct 21, 2014
minnesota
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I can only dream of finding something like that and the copper and farthing are just icing on the cake congrats on the awesome find.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats incredible!!!! In Kentucky???
Wow...Im in Philadelphia and there was fighting going on all over the place and i never found one..Big on my list..
A huge congratulations..
I have to say and vote Banner. ..

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow...Im in Philadelphia and there was fighting going on all over the place and i never found one..Big on my list..
A huge congratulations..

Hey, good things come from Ky, George!

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, It's amazing you found a "USA" button in Kentucky. The KGII is in great shape! That looks like that place has the same age as most places on the Northeast coast!

Thank you and yes it is Amazing, I have been Metal Detecting for 25 yrs here in Kentucky and have Dug some 1700's finds but to this magnitude is Amazing for us. Bill

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow wow wow! A USA button is a rare find indeed. That is just incredible. To me one of the holy grails of detecting. I'm going to vote banner because in my eyes it represents the most important time in this countries history and the struggle to gain our freedom and independence. Congrats on that baby, and the nice early kg

your Absolutely right and it's a Honor to find this one to help represent our American Heritage. Thank you for your Banner vote, this Button totally deserves it.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your Absolutely right and it's a Honor to find this one to help represent our American Heritage. Thank you for your Banner vote, this Button totally deserves it.

No doubt! I'm happy to slide my tree coin over for that button lol

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A huge congratulations..

Thank you and I hope yours comes Very Soon.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice group of late 18th century relics and coins :headbang:

Sites like that must be hard to come by in Kentucky. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Rev War pewter!

That must be a KY Farthing.... because us up North would call it a Halfpenny. :laughing7:

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great Rev War pewter!

That must be a KY Farthing.... because us up North would call it a Halfpenny. :laughing7:

See what happens here in Kentucky when you dig something for the first time, you have to TRY and properly name it,lol.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See what happens here in Kentucky when you dig something for the first time, you have to TRY and properly name it,lol.

Yeah it certainly makes it believable. :) It's bigger than a Farthing, plus it's an entirely different style of Britannia used on the die. Once you have the two sunk in your brain you don't need to know the size to tell which is which.

OP
OP
nova treasure

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WTG Bill! You tore it up on the button & coins + dug the elusive "Saddle Shield" as well. HH, Q.

Thanks Quindy, I forgot to add that it was a Saddle shield in the mix, someone might think that's a Colonial football lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread