SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Another colonial silver recovered during Saturday's hunt

My good friend Dan and I finally made it back to the ugly cut cornfield that produced 3 cut pieces of silver on our first hunt there. We had been led to believe the remaining corn stalks had been mowed down, but when we arrived we could see that was not the case. After meeting with the owner and some of his family members for over an hour we finally made our way back to the field. It was the usual slow going, but we now feel confident that some kind of occupied site was located on the higher ground, especially after Dan was able to uncover what appeared to be part of the brick foundation. Since this area is immediately adjacent to one of our early, mega-productive sites we figured it just might be another tenant house. After Dan recovered an early LC on his very first target it didn't take me long to follow suit. This one was reading in the mid-20s on my F75, and I thought it might be a tombac or small buckle piece. But much to my surprise a tiny piece of silver emerged. It's quite small and super thin, and was also very worn. On one side we initially thought we could see part of a cross that might indicate a cob. But it's much too thin for that, and we later got thinking that maybe it could be part of a hammered coin. Guess we'll never know as the only clue is what looks to be an "8" on one side (the other is slick). Could that be the last digit of the date?? One of the pics below demonstrates how thin this piece is when sandwiched between the 2 cut pieces found on the last hunt. A little later we explored a spring stream at the bottom of an adjacent ravine that was littered with early brick. I got a large and deep iron signal in the bottom of the stream bed, but neither Dan nor I could excavate it due to the water being a little too deep, and we didn't have our water boots with us. But that will be something to check out on the next trip. At that point we moved on to check out some other promising looks spots on the property. But we ended up with a big goose egg until we hit one last spot just as it was getting late. I found an iron patch on some high ground near the edge of the woods, but was disappointed to realize that it was probably from a mid-1800s site based on the few finds I was able to recover. But as Dan mentioned in his post, he found what appeared to be a small 17th century site in a low area just in front of where I was hunting (where he found his cob). I dug a couple items from that area including a cute little colonial hoe right before we called it quits. I've dug quite a few broad hoes over the years, but this one is by far the smallest. It's currently cooking in the electrolysis tank. We hope to hit the cornfield site again, especially since being told by the farmer that he was definitely going to have the stalks cut down soon. And another adjacent area should be cropped as well by the time we can return in a week or 2. Wasn't the most productive hunt, but still had fun on a beautiful, crisp "chamber of commerce" fall day in rural eastern Virginia.

UPDATE: After taking a close look at that tiny piece of silver, I believe it does have a chance to be from a hammered coin. In the first pic below I compare it to one of my 1500s sixpences. What Dan and I originally thought might have been a Spanish cross may actually be a part of the shield on the reverse of a Lizzie silver. The "8" appears to be in a position to be the 3rd digit in the date, which could make this a 1580s coin. It may be wishful thinking on my part, but you never know. Appreciate any comments especially from those guys across the pond.

110814i.jpg

Attachments

• 110814a.jpg
    110814a.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 230
  • 110814e.jpg
    110814e.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 218
  • 110814g.jpg
    110814g.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 240
  • 110814h.jpg
    110814h.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 227
  • 110814f.jpg
    110814f.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Upvote 9
OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The forums are similar to shopping, some are small and personable and others is like going to Walmart where there's so much to see and so much crap, but there's a chance a person will run into somebody nice, and a tad of quality finds.

Glad to see this back up on page lone as I totally missed the thread, lesson made where to look back to see a missed thread.

Nice going on another cut piece of silver, shows that you're on your game for sure.

There seems to be a reason for this many cut silvers come off this field Bill, could of been a spot where trading was happening as in market stall. Either way the corn stalks are pain in the butt to find small finds, and I'm sure once they're rolled down the small finds will coming.

This was a large, bustling early plantation that contains multiple house sites, and we've been methodically covering the huge fields. I think between Dan and I we must have recovered over 20 colonial silvers from this site in the 2 years we've been digging it. And we're still looking for the main house site so hopefully there's more to come.

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Outstanding Bill! I told Dan the other day how after all this time of talking on different Forums and Facebook we should meet. Maybe the three of us could even have our first relic adventure. Can you believe we have been conversing on different forums for over 10 years? Although I am a die hard Civil and Rev War hunter I might be persuaded to hunt for silver!!! HH John

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding Bill! I told Dan the other day how after all this time of talking on different Forums and Facebook we should meet. Maybe the three of us could even have our first relic adventure. Can you believe we have been conversing on different forums for over 10 years? Although I am a die hard Civil and Rev War hunter I might be persuaded to hunt for silver!!! HH John

Hey man - I would be game if you took us to your rev war hospital site. :)

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great digs as always bill, your threads are always very interesting and the finds are great

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice digs.
If ever there were proof that these repetitive posters are not reading the posts they are replying to (multiple replies per minute would also indicate this), it is this post on this thread, where the problem of these posts burying threads was JUST being discussed.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If ever there were proof that these repetitive posters are not reading the posts they are replying to (multiple replies per minute would also indicate this), it is this post on this thread, where the problem of these posts burying threads was JUST being discussed.
Yup pretty crazy. It's funny, someone could dig the holy grail itself and that would be the reply. Doesn't matter if it's a matchbox car or a rev war button or a bunch of Spanish silver. I posted some nice finds once and just a couple minutes later they had disappeared never to be seen again. It sucks that were prob missing some great posts and we don't even know it

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ha ha ha so funny you mentioned the holy grail buddy. After your tree coin find the other day, I said to my wife "what's he gonna find next, the holy grail?" I kid you not!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha ha ha so funny you mentioned the holy grail buddy. After your tree coin find the other day, I said to my wife "what's he gonna find next, the holy grail?" I kid you not!
Ha if I do I can't wait to hear that it's a nice dig. Some guy on the Maine metal detecting site replied "nice find" and went on some ramble about some late 1800s coins he found. I wrote this big long post about finding my dream find and I thought it was so funny reading his reply. It was like he had no idea what he was looking at and it was equivalent to a merc or something. I was laughing my ass off. Colonial items mean zero to some people. It's very hard for me to comprehend but to each there own

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dan, you always know just what to say!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha if I do I can't wait to hear that it's a nice dig. Some guy on the Maine metal detecting site replied "nice find" and went on some ramble about some late 1800s coins he found. I wrote this big long post about finding my dream find and I thought it was so funny reading his reply. It was like he had no idea what he was looking at and it was equivalent to a merc or something. I was laughing my ass off. Colonial items mean zero to some people. It's very hard for me to comprehend but to each there own

This will sound odd but I often see the same users make the same EXACT posts on people's threads, kinda like they hit the copy/paste button in a mad dash to hit some goal number of posts/replies, I don't get it, a 20 dollar gold coin can pop up and you'll see the ever so thoughtful 1 or 2 word reply, in my opinion you should read the posts, view the pics, and actually put forth an effort in your reply, otherwise like you guys said, a great find gets buried by a post of a matchbox and pull tabs lol............that will be all

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This will sound odd but I often see the same users make the same EXACT posts on people's threads, kinda like they hit the copy/paste button in a mad dash to hit some goal number of posts/replies, I don't get it, a 20 dollar gold coin can pop up and you'll see the ever so thoughtful 1 or 2 word reply, in my opinion you should read the posts, view the pics, and actually put forth an effort in your reply, otherwise like you guys said, a great find gets buried by a post of a matchbox and pull tabs lol............that will be all
You're absolutely right and sadly it's been addressed but it hasn't seemed to do any good. When Bill speaks up and says something people should pay attention. He is easily one of the most respected members on here and is one of the nicest guys. I really don't understand someone trying to achieve some post milestone. I come on here like most because I'm passionate about history and I love seeing what folks have found. I also enjoy the comradarie and I really enjoy learning about something I'm not familiar with. Admittedly I don't always have time to write a long and in depth reply but just hitting every single post with the exact same response seems a bit generic and vanilla and it detracts from the site IMO.

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll chime in. It is really annoying to have a post get buried by the two word robot like replies when it's evident they're not looking or reading the posts. I don't always leave long replies because honestly I'm tired after working all day but I do read them, I could care less about post count. I don't let it bother me too much. A funny example- a Roosevelt dime I found at a coinstar has more views & almost as many replies as the sword belt plate I just found... Another funny example- I'm a member of a MDing club & we have a finds board every month with different categories. A hem weight got 2nd place in best find, yes a hem weight. Oh, & if I didn't say it before, nice digs Bill!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just glad I wasn't the only one scratching my head like "what the"

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
So Bill? Does that put you one up in the silver battle now?

I was one up before the start of the last hunt, but Dan dug 2 to my 1, so its a tie ball game now.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Hunt there Bill,I know what you mean about the thin ones & your one piece reminds me of a coin I found.Got lucky & had it ID on here.It's the thinnest I've found so far & was broke/torn looking sorta like your little piece.But the little * made me think of it seeing yours.Lot of French coins have that * after the M but the R is throughing me.Good hunt again.
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/200662-coin-id.html

Never mind about what I said about the little piece you found.I didn't even think about Spanish coinage which is what it is.Sometimes I make things harder then they are.:laughing7:

Last edited:

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Well it counts Bill. Good hunting, you managed to sneak a few things out of a tough site. Good luck this weekend.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah - its getting ridiculous. When that coinman123 guy responded to a 100+ posts a little while ago he sent some fairly new ones on page 1 all the way down to page 3 never to be seen again. This has got to stop as its having a very negative impact on this forum. I sent a PM to the moderator earlier so we'll see if there's anything that can be done.

Trust me I'm sorry, and it will not happen again. I was not aware of the negative impact it had on this forum, now I know and am truly sorry for all of those affected. You can rest assured that new posts will never get buried by me ever again.

Coinman123,

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread