SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Another colonial silver recovered during Saturday's hunt

My good friend Dan and I finally made it back to the ugly cut cornfield that produced 3 cut pieces of silver on our first hunt there. We had been led to believe the remaining corn stalks had been mowed down, but when we arrived we could see that was not the case. After meeting with the owner and some of his family members for over an hour we finally made our way back to the field. It was the usual slow going, but we now feel confident that some kind of occupied site was located on the higher ground, especially after Dan was able to uncover what appeared to be part of the brick foundation. Since this area is immediately adjacent to one of our early, mega-productive sites we figured it just might be another tenant house. After Dan recovered an early LC on his very first target it didn't take me long to follow suit. This one was reading in the mid-20s on my F75, and I thought it might be a tombac or small buckle piece. But much to my surprise a tiny piece of silver emerged. It's quite small and super thin, and was also very worn. On one side we initially thought we could see part of a cross that might indicate a cob. But it's much too thin for that, and we later got thinking that maybe it could be part of a hammered coin. Guess we'll never know as the only clue is what looks to be an "8" on one side (the other is slick). Could that be the last digit of the date?? One of the pics below demonstrates how thin this piece is when sandwiched between the 2 cut pieces found on the last hunt. A little later we explored a spring stream at the bottom of an adjacent ravine that was littered with early brick. I got a large and deep iron signal in the bottom of the stream bed, but neither Dan nor I could excavate it due to the water being a little too deep, and we didn't have our water boots with us. But that will be something to check out on the next trip. At that point we moved on to check out some other promising looks spots on the property. But we ended up with a big goose egg until we hit one last spot just as it was getting late. I found an iron patch on some high ground near the edge of the woods, but was disappointed to realize that it was probably from a mid-1800s site based on the few finds I was able to recover. But as Dan mentioned in his post, he found what appeared to be a small 17th century site in a low area just in front of where I was hunting (where he found his cob). I dug a couple items from that area including a cute little colonial hoe right before we called it quits. I've dug quite a few broad hoes over the years, but this one is by far the smallest. It's currently cooking in the electrolysis tank. We hope to hit the cornfield site again, especially since being told by the farmer that he was definitely going to have the stalks cut down soon. And another adjacent area should be cropped as well by the time we can return in a week or 2. Wasn't the most productive hunt, but still had fun on a beautiful, crisp "chamber of commerce" fall day in rural eastern Virginia.

UPDATE: After taking a close look at that tiny piece of silver, I believe it does have a chance to be from a hammered coin. In the first pic below I compare it to one of my 1500s sixpences. What Dan and I originally thought might have been a Spanish cross may actually be a part of the shield on the reverse of a Lizzie silver. The "8" appears to be in a position to be the 3rd digit in the date, which could make this a 1580s coin. It may be wishful thinking on my part, but you never know. Appreciate any comments especially from those guys across the pond.

110814i.jpg

Attachments

• 110814a.jpg
    110814a.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 230
  • 110814e.jpg
    110814e.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 218
  • 110814g.jpg
    110814g.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 240
  • 110814h.jpg
    110814h.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 227
  • 110814f.jpg
    110814f.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Upvote 9

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trust me I'm sorry, and it will not happen again. I was not aware of the negative impact it had on this forum, now I know. You can rest assured that new posts will never get buried by me ever again. Coinman123,
Coinman you handled that as graciously as anyone ever could. I have a ton of respect for you. Some would have been extremely defensive but you now understand how it can have a negative effect and you obviously didn't realize before. Thank you for your very respectable handling of the situation. We all love seeing your great finds and are happy that this was dealt with so well. All the best, Abe

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Trust me I'm sorry, and it will not happen again. I was not aware of the negative impact it had on this forum, now I know and am truly sorry for all of those affected. You can rest assured that new posts will never get buried by me ever again.

Coinman123,

Thank you very much for responding Coinman123. I really appreciate the way you handled this, and now that I see that you're a really nice guy I'm going to have to apologize myself for the way I handled this. In hindsight, I should have just addressed this to you privately and not plastered it on the forum for everyone to see. That was rather rude and I'm sorry. Regardless, I'm glad this situation has been resolved and hopefully everyone can get back to enjoying this great forum. Thanks again for your kind words and great attitude ..... Bill

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool little silvers Bill.
The old hoe is cool too, don't think I ever got one of those, but Dave did on one of our recent digs.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for responding Coinman123. I really appreciate the way you handled this, and now that I see that you're a really nice guy I'm going to have to apologize myself for the way I handled this. In hindsight, I should have just addressed this to you privately and not plastered it on the forum for everyone to see. That was rather rude and I'm sorry. Regardless, I'm glad this situation has been resolved and hopefully everyone can get back to enjoying this great forum. Thanks again for your kind words and great attitude ..... Bill
2 gentlemen who are both assets to this site. Very refreshing to see the way this went down. Great job by all

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah its nice to see people settle their differences, may have just been a misunderstanding

Either way:thumbsup:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHAT GRINDS MY GEARS.

Yeah the same exact reply to every post, what's the point except for to gain post numbers.

Cjon said " I often see the same users make the same EXACT posts on people's threads, kinda like they hit the copy/paste button in a mad dash to hit some goal number of posts"

Mangum said "It is really annoying to have a post get buried by the two word robot like replies when it's evident they're not looking or reading the posts"

I think a lot of us feel the same here, I nearly didn't see this post for that exact reason...I rarely go to page 2.
While I freely admit I don't reply to every thread, at least when I do it is with some thought, and the main reason I don't reply to all is a time factor, as well as if I have nothing to add / contribute / or help with an ID, then what is the point ?

I also think that a small amount of programming (edit as of now I think you only need 3 characters to make a post, while I admit that increasing that number might not change a thing, smart people could ?) would stop post # from going up from the same two words, and we all know who the main offender is here, as has been pointed out to me is that this person has no posts of his own ? How strange is that ?

Furthermore what grinds my gears is another thread that won't go away, it's about a hole in the ground with NO ACTUAL FIND ?? other than the hole it'self. It's been on page one for nearly a year now. It should be locked, and if the OP does make an "actual" find then let him start a new thread ? Anyone have an opinion on that ?

Sorry Bill, this thread has been turned into what it has, but this is all important (I think) We know that the two word offender s not going to go away, so we got to learn to deal with it I guess.
Another good thread almost got burried today because of it, the guy who found the gun, and reported it to Police . IMO an important thread. Good for our image as a whole.

Well, good luck out there.

Last edited:

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you guys have found a very promising area. After the final remnants of the crops are gone you should look for color variations in the soil. You might be able to locate a privy. Great post and I'm looking forward to your future finds.

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Rick, I believe the particular guy you mention may still be doing this. However, check the previous page where coinman123 acknowledges he hadn't realized the impact the numerous posts he was making had on moving good stuff down the forum. He was very gracious and I think it's great that he got on and said what he said. Class act. I'm glad we can move on. I feel kinda bad too because I pretty much started this piss fight a week or two ago. I will be much happier seeing the stuff on page one that should be on page one.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Rick, I believe the particular guy you mention may still be doing this. However, check the previous page where coinman123 acknowledges he hadn't realized the impact the numerous posts he was making had on moving good stuff down the forum. He was very gracious and I think it's great that he got on and said what he said. Class act. I'm glad we can move on. I feel kinda bad too because I pretty much started this piss fight a week or two ago. I will be much happier seeing the stuff on page one that should be on page one.

DW yes I acknowledge what you said about coinman123, in fact I've had a couple of PM's with him, and I know he is a real (and genuine) person. He made a great appology, and Bill accepted it. That is not to who I was referring.

BTW I also think it a class act to say what he did, as most (everyone) would have been offended, and acted accordingly.

Good job coinman 123. I still don't know you (very well) but like you.

Rcik

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread