Oh.. and now I find gold not metal detecting but digging for old bottles.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch: I normally wouldn't post on an outing like today but had an unusual find. So I met up with a buddy to explore a dump looking for 100 plus year old bottles. Turned out the dump was to modern for old bottles but as I was scratching around out pops this 14k 7.3g gold ring that was cut. Lots of modern junk. DSC02003.JPG We did not find any keeper bottles but still was a nice change instead of detecting. DSC01996.JPG DSC01997.JPG Also found what I think is silver. Has a little green under the stone but I think its from the metal used to attach it. DSC02008.JPG Figure all the hours I spend mding and here I score gold!

Last edited:
Upvote 16

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are a blessed man my friend. Good eye on that gold. I have never found any gold....ever :-). If I do it will be damn early gold

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good score from a dump. I found a silver army ring out of a dump and thought that was cool but gold out of a dump is outstanding.

Poor abe. No gold yet. Yeah I feel sorry for that guy. Laughing. Just messing with ya buddy. You have a few hundred years of ground under your feet so there's got to be some gold for ya.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Funny how things happen, good eye! So congrats on the gold ring.
It's kind of crazy thinking back at the hundreds of hours spent digging and I never even found a coin while digging for bottles.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Like the prospectors say "gold is where you find it". Good eye and good save!

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is that a Colt Woodsman pistol or a toy? (the bigger one) Great finds!

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good score from a dump. I found a silver army ring out of a dump and thought that was cool but gold out of a dump is outstanding.

Poor abe. No gold yet. Yeah I feel sorry for that guy. Laughing. Just messing with ya buddy. You have a few hundred years of ground under your feet so there's got to be some gold for ya.

Hahah Yeah I have a better chance finding 200 pieces of gold before I score anything like that in my area. Glad someone found them! Crazy story ring pops out then I pull my camera out after I see its 14k. At first it thought it was a small shower curtain ring. I turn around to take a photo of the other stuff look back and my buddy moved some dirt and covered the ring before I had a chance to put it away. We must of spent 1 hour on our hands and knees sifting through the dirt with our fingers. Turns out it was in a different pile of dirt we hadn't checked :BangHead: Later half of 2014 has been good to me with the finds that's for sure!

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny how things happen, good eye! So congrats on the gold ring.
It's kind of crazy thinking back at the hundreds of hours spent digging and I never even found a coin while digging for bottles.

Wow huu? I don't bottle dig that often but I have found some tokens and wheats, ih once, First gold and more then likely only gold at a dump. I have been digging for bottles longer then detecting and one skill I have pick up from detecting that helps with bottle digging is I pay more attention to the small stuff not just bottles. When I only dug bottles I was only looking for bottles.

Last edited:

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
That is so cool! Congratulations.

ArmyJoe

Apr 30, 2014
S. Korea
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Helix,

Congrats on the gold buddy! When you find out what the other thing is let me know. I'd take gold anyway I can find it!

Joe

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Super sharp eyes! Congrats on your gold! :hello2: If you want to sell your gold ring, my son & I have found the Midwestern Refinery one of the refinerys on this website, to be trustworthy, fast, & they pay about 95 percent of current gold value, much more than can be gotten locally from jewelers or pawn shops. Have Fun! Andi

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my area it is rare to find 1800's bottles digging anywhere. Most of the time they are 1900's and newer. It is always worth checking out. My buddy did pull some 1920's - 30's good condition licenses plates from this site. I think it was 10 total.. They were protected from he elements by two feet of metal sheeting. Normally if I post anything on 100 plus year old bottles its posted in the basement section of T-Net the Glass&Bottle Forum. Happy Hunting what ever it might be!:icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No it was a "hat trick" of a find. I was just saying I don't normally post on digs 1930-60's trash in the process of trying to find 1800s stuff...

tinman68

Aug 5, 2011
vp il
Primary Interest:
Other
nice digs helix found then lost and found again sweet kinda like finding two sounds like a good dig.What no video:sad10: maybe next time SOMEONE can help with that. Wish I could of been there to see my precious come out of the ground awesome year dude

Attachments

• imagesCAQWFYS1.jpg
    imagesCAQWFYS1.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 30

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Here we all are chasing gold with a detector and you just happen upon it while bottle digging!
Some people are lucky!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread