I love my little detecting buddy but he doesnt know it...

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love my little detecting buddy but he doesn't know it...

I had some time today and went out on a fairly quick hunt. At first I was detecting a lot that I have been searching the past two outings. I only had found a Memorial penny spill, which was fairly deep. Across the road was the sidewalk and easement that my hunting buddy had detected this past Saturday. Being the gracious person that I am, I let him hunt it all alone. It is about 6 feet before it drops down into the ditch and about 100 feet long. I noticed that no one was home at the house where the sidewalks runs, so I decided to take advantage of the moment and detect the easement. I didn't think that I would find anything because he had just found a few wheat pennies. I guess I was wrong.

I noticed right off the bat that I was digging wheat pennies and then I found two clad quarters in quick succession. Further up the sidewalk there was a section taken out from a long time ago which is approximately 7 feet. This is where I found the silver dime and 3-4 more wheat cents.

I just love my hunting buddy for leaving all this. I am afraid to tell him. Perhaps I need to give him a big hug and not tell him why.

All told here is what I found:

10 40s-50s wheat cents
1948 Silver Roosevelt dime
1919 Buffalo Nickel
1939 Jefferson Nickel
1943 1 Anna Coin
$1.39 in clad

I also have a cuff link that I am cleaning that may be gold. I am not sure yet.

20141112_100342_resized.jpg 20141112_100821_resized.jpg

20141112_161849_resized.jpg 20141112_161858_resized.jpg 20141112_162116_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 5

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Uhm....not sure you should give him a hug and not tell him why, unless you just don't want to hunt with him again, lol! Tearouts are one thing I haven't tried yet. We had a complete street ripped up and I just couldn't find the right time to do it. Congrats on getting those before they were covered up again.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats nice finds!
You may want to suggest he check his settings or his detector. Have a side by side comparison on a known target. If all checks out, then go to the head of the class for being a better MD'er!

Old dude tear outs often hide real good stuff, make time. They fence them off here lately. I found a Barber dime and a LC in one some years back.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, glad you found some good stuff

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats nice finds!
You may want to suggest he check his settings or his detector. Have a side by side comparison on a known target. If all checks out, then go to the head of the class for being a better MD'er!

Old dude tear outs often hide real good stuff, make time. They fence them off here lately. I found a Barber dime and a LC in one some years back.

He used both a V3I and an Etrac. I think the problem is that he gets in too much of a hurry and won't either hear or investigate all sounds. This past weekend I gave him first dibs at an old stump where I found some wheats and then 5 minutes after he gave up, I found two silver dimes back to back around 12 feet from it.

BTW, almost everything was found NEXT to the sidewalk. Next I mean less than a foot and they were solid signals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread