Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I meet up with a guy from another forum for the first time this afternoon. We didn't have a lot of time to hunt so I thought we would try our luck at an old park in town. I thought I would go off the beaten path and detect the woods and brush to maybe earn a few old coins. I made one pass through the area with not much to show. I had turned and was making my second pass when I get a screaming signal, I raked back the leaves with my foot expecting to see another old beer can, but I was so surprised to see this shiny pistol laying there. My first thought was no way this is real but it didn't take long after seeing the serial number on the side to know it was the real deal. I called the police to report it and waited around to show them and give them my story. The officer told me that they found a big bag full of personal belongings and electronics in that same area last year. They think both that bag and now this gun may have been involved in a burglary at that time. I was told thanks and I was happy I could help out. It's a scary thought a loaded gun could be laying around for a kid or anyone to find. It had been there long enough to rust the action and the clip. The officer said it can't be brought in until it is unloaded and cleared. I didn't stick around to find out any more.

Pistol.jpg Police.jpg

Upvote 18

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
no pistol here YET But lots of Ammo Chug

1emeraldlady

Jul 26, 2013
Micco, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Even rusted out...a kid could have found it and gotten themselves shot over it....great job calling it in!!! Thanks, every bit helps to keep our kids and communities safe! Kudos! :notworthy:

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even rusted out...a kid could have found it and gotten themselves shot over it....great job calling it in!!! Thanks, every bit helps to keep our kids and communities safe! Kudos! :notworthy:

Thanks! Yeah I would hate to think about a kid finding a loaded gun and thinking it was a toy!

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent job SD. I admit would have been at least a little tempted to keep it.

Also glad this wasn't yet another "trick" post where it was actually a cap gun found. Almost didn't click on this thread for that reason.

No doubt you earned a few points for you work. IE if someone reports you digging in a park some time in the future you're not likely to get any hassel from the authorities, I'd keep those pics. on your phone.

COOL FIND too BTW, not many of us will ever find a complete hand gun. One that looks like it could be easily made to work. Even though you didn't keep it you got the picture, and this post.

Banner vote. (another gun got there, was NOT complete or near in working condition)

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent job SD. I admit would have been at least a little tempted to keep it. Also glad this wasn't yet another "trick" post where it was actually a cap gun found. Almost didn't click on this thread for that reason. No doubt you earned a few points for you work. IE if someone reports you digging in a park some time in the future you're not likely to get any hassel from the authorities, I'd keep those pics. on your phone. COOL FIND too BTW, not many of us will ever find a complete hand gun. One that looks like it could be easily made to work. Even though you didn't keep it you got the picture, and this post. Banner vote. (another gun got there, was NOT complete or near in working condition)

Yeah I'm fine with not keeping it and just having the story and the pics. And I sure thought this would get more attention that what it has got. I never thought I would ever find anything like this and I don't think it happens very often. It's a find I will never forget that's for sure!

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a scary thought a loaded gun could be laying around for a kid or anyone to find.

Oh I wouldn't worry too much about that, it was found by one of the biggest kids on the planet! A metal detectorist! Nothing bad happened. ;)

Thanks for doing your part!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What are you doing hanging out with a guy from another forum?:dontknow:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple hundred years from now that would have been a nice piece!.I found some weed bowls in the past, first time I have seen anyone find a modern pistol. Good job clearing the trash!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was 12 I found a .357 magnum revolver on the beach. I was 12 when this happened. The gun was still in perfect working condition. I showed it to my grandpa and he was shocked to see it. He took it and turned it over to the police the same day. I regretted not keeping it for the next few years, but by the time I was 16 I knew it was the right thing. In the end it turned out to be a cop's gun, the guy had dropped it off a boat by accident and at low tide I found it on the sea bed. I had found a fireman's badge and wallet 2 years prior in the same spot. My dad tracked down the fireman and we returned it to the guy at his firehouse. He let me ride in the truck and honk the truck's massive horn. A few months later he died on 9/11. These are some of the oldest and most vivid memories of my childhood.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the call and not just sticking it in the finds pouch and looking at it for a monatary gain, not many posted and you should have it up there on the banner or at least a honourable mention for your great deed.

The chance of finding a gun south of the 49th is bigger than us north of it, but not totally out there either. A city is a city no matter where it's located they all seem to have this problem..

thommo59

Mar 6, 2014
Australia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unusual find

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was 12 I found a .357 magnum revolver on the beach. I was 12 when this happened. The gun was still in perfect working condition. I showed it to my grandpa and he was shocked to see it. He took it and turned it over to the police the same day. I regretted not keeping it for the next few years, but by the time I was 16 I knew it was the right thing. In the end it turned out to be a cop's gun, the guy had dropped it off a boat by accident and at low tide I found it on the sea bed. I had found a fireman's badge and wallet 2 years prior in the same spot. My dad tracked down the fireman and we returned it to the guy at his firehouse. He let me ride in the truck and honk the truck's massive horn. A few months later he died on 9/11. These are some of the oldest and most vivid memories of my childhood.

Wow great finds and stories. It's crazy how things so big like a gun or badge can get lost. A shame about the fireman. A lot of brave folks lost their lives that day doing what they were called to do.

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the call and not just sticking it in the finds pouch and looking at it for a monatary gain, not many posted and you should have it up there on the banner or at least a honourable mention for your great deed. The chance of finding a gun south of the 49th is bigger than us north of it, but not totally out there either. A city is a city no matter where it's located they all seem to have this problem..

Thank you! Seems like a lot of folks would have been tempted to keep it. My first thoughts were this has to be tied to a crime and should be reported. I have more to gain turning it over than to keep it.

ks coyote

Aug 30, 2012
Auburn Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX x 2, XLT, SL 90, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never know what you'll find in parks. Well done.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find. I agree that loaded guns in park are a very bad thing.

Otoh, I personally would have thought about that one before calling the cops.

Bryco were well known for Saturday night specials under several different brand names. They went bankrupt in 2003 after a 24 million dollar judgement was levied against them. A 12 year old kid ended up paralyzed by one of their guns and the jury decided there was a design flaw.

Yours could very well have been used in a crime or two but you never know.

It'll probably either wind up in some box somewhere or be destroyed.

Either way, congrats on a cool find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread