Interesting Mortar Fragment

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found many mortar fragments but this is the first one I've found with one of the loading loops intact. Found it on the site where I've found other mortar frags, three cannonballs and half a bar shot. It's even got a piece if the fuze hole...Interesting enough to be displayed instead of becoming garden art!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415883186.847242.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415883203.380878.jpg

Upvote 4

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"loading loops" just learned something. I guess they would be hard to pick up, like a big atlas stone.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure there's a more technical name for them but I'm too lazy to look it up...ha!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415884860.504090.jpg

Last edited:

N.O. noir et d'or

Dec 9, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
White's Dfx 300, Fisher CZ20, Garrett ATX, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's very interesting Romeo. I don't think I've ever seen one with loops - Great Recovery!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Original Item: Only One Available. Most likely this is British, it came from our purchase from Nepal in 2003. This is a highly unusual projectile- being a hollow iron ball over 9" in diameter with about a 1" diameter hole in the top allowing access to the hollow interior.

On either side of this hole are two integral "Loops" or "Rings” which were used to attach hooks from a small crane that would lift the iron ball stuffed with explosives and place it into the mouth of the mortar. The hole would be plugged and maybe even a fuse attached before firing from the Mortar. Once fired the ball would climb to a great altitude and fall onto the desired Enemy position whereupon the ball would explode killing everything in the immediate vicinity- a devasting weapon.

Explosive (hollow) Cannon Balls are extremely rare and desirable, explosive Mortar Balls are even harder to find especially with the lifting rings still in place. Very heavy, not something you can slip into a carrier bag. Rusted patina finish overall just as we discovered it!
9" diameter, Circa 1770-1800

Original 18th Century Explosive Iron Mortar Ball with Lifting Rings ima-usa.com

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Original Item: Only One Available. Most likely this is British, it came from our purchase from Nepal in 2003. This is a highly unusual projectile- being a hollow iron ball over 9" in diameter with about a 1" diameter hole in the top allowing access to the hollow interior.

On either side of this hole are two integral "Loops" or "Rings” which were used to attach hooks from a small crane that would lift the iron ball stuffed with explosives and place it into the mouth of the mortar. The hole would be plugged and maybe even a fuse attached before firing from the Mortar. Once fired the ball would climb to a great altitude and fall onto the desired Enemy position whereupon the ball would explode killing everything in the immediate vicinity- a devasting weapon.

Explosive (hollow) Cannon Balls are extremely rare and desirable, explosive Mortar Balls are even harder to find especially with the lifting rings still in place. Very heavy, not something you can slip into a carrier bag. Rusted patina finish overall just as we discovered it!
9" diameter, Circa 1770-1800

Original 18th Century Explosive Iron Mortar Ball with Lifting Rings ima-usa.com

$995 for the complete ball...I should be able to get $200 for my piece...:laughing7:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$995 for the complete ball...I should be able to get $200 for my piece...:laughing7:

I think I'd focus on finding a complete one rather than a buyer for the piece. :) Must have been quite a sight seeing those things fired.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'd focus on finding a complete one rather than a buyer for the piece. :) Must have been quite a sight seeing those things fired.

There's only one place I would find a complete one...and odds are the museum would probably frown on me trying to walk out with it...

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love it when I learn something ! Interesting find Romeo ! If a whole one is $1000,00 . The fragment with the loop is probably worth more than most of the old silver coins we find . Nice displayable piece of history . Can you associate it with an actual battle ?? MaineRelic

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was that the same site as I found all my frags? I will post up the ones I found on my trip down there a few years ago at some point...I may have something similiar.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was that the same site as I found all my frags? I will post up the ones I found on my trip down there a few years ago at some point...I may have something similiar.

This was the field that i pointed out to you just above the beach we hunted. Yes please, post your frags. Didn't you find one with a really pronounced lip?

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love it when I learn something ! Interesting find Romeo ! If a whole one is $1000,00 . The fragment with the loop is probably worth more than most of the old silver coins we find . Nice displayable piece of history . Can you associate it with an actual battle ?? MaineRelic

Yep, I'm 90% sure it is associated with a prolonged engagement between the French and English in 1710.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I'm 90% sure it is associated with a prolonged engagement between the French and English in 1710.
Very cool find and history bud

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imagine having that thing rip through your body. Damn!
Sweet find!:thumbsup:

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's a big *** shell fragment,nice!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I recall that pronounced tip...I haven't looked at them since the day I got home from that trip...hope they are not rust crumbs now...will post up tomorrow before my evening shift...

This was the field that i pointed out to you just above the beach we hunted. Yes please, post your frags. Didn't you find one with a really pronounced lip?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread