Weather Channel calls for snow tonight, but I got one last hunt in!

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got permission for another old farmhouse. This one had a farmstand, but has been inoperative for about 10 years. The main house fell in, and they carted it off and filled the cellar hole with gravel. All I got to day was the crap you see here. The keys and lock were kind of fun to find. About $1.50 in clad. Very dark. The soil there was so rich and loamy. Very nice - would love to have that soil myself for my garden. It sure did a number on the coins though. Some of the quarters have no clad left, just copper. I was there about three hours. It was nice to get out. Three times this week! :icon_cheers:

Upvote 6

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got the keys to the farm now! Nice work.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, get those last digs in for this year.
My weather man is saying the same thing. That SOB.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm in NH too, and it's getting pretty cold. Luckily where I am, I'm not getting any snow, at the beginning of the week the forecast showed snow though. Hopefully the winter will not be too bad, so all of us can get back to metal detecting soon.

Coinman123,

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was snowing when I left work tonight. It's nothing serious but it was snowing nonetheless.

I'm happy you were able to get out there and dig up some stuff.

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Someone had to replace a lot of keys!

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in NH too, and it's getting pretty cold. Luckily where I am, I'm not getting any snow, at the beginning of the week the forecast showed snow though. Hopefully the winter will not be too bad, so all of us can get back to metal detecting soon.

Coinman123,

We got a dusting here but it dissolved before I woke up. Still, I got the woodstove running to make it nice inside. The best part is that the ground is still soft! :headbang: Once it does get too hard to put a digger into it, I'll be heading out to the seacoast hopefully once a week.

Soon as I get a chance today, I will take some pics of those quarters all beat up like that. I've seen clad coins come out black, but never where the clad is nearly gone. Got to run for now though. The wife is beating me up, kicking me out of the den. She says she needs the counter space for her schoolwork. :protest: No problem. I can set up my pc in the shop... where the beer fridge is... :tongue1:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah it was 27 Degrees here this AM , Calling for lows in the teens next week 'usually don't see those temps until Jan or Feb.
Looking at the NWS Winter Forecast they were saying Colder than normal here but below normal in the extreme NE.
Guess we will have to wait & see.

It's crazy I know but Keys are one of the things I Save everyone of ' no matter the age' look's like U got a Wide Assortment of styles..
Found a little money, Some good Scrap Brass [ more if you add the keys] Don't tell me if U scrap them .LOL
One more thing I have a lock Almost just like the one you found in front o me now ( Not Dug) but it's Green & does not have the extra piece attached to it's side. the key's say " Wilson Bohannan" & on the back Marion Ohio it's been in one of my Drawer's for a while & I can not recall where I got it . Seems to have some age to it.
Glad U were able to get out .

HH
Davers

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah it was 27 Degrees here this AM , Calling for lows in the teens next week 'usually don't see those temps until Jan or Feb.
Looking at the NWS Winter Forecast they were saying Colder than normal here but below normal in the extreme NE.
Guess we will have to wait & see.

It's crazy I know but Keys are one of the things I Save everyone of ' no matter the age' look's like U got a Wide Assortment of styles..
Found a little money, Some good Scrap Brass [ more if you add the keys] Don't tell me if U scrap them .LOL
One more thing I have a lock Almost just like the one you found in front o me now ( Not Dug) but it's Green & does not have the extra piece attached to it's side. the key's say " Wilson Bohannan" & on the back Marion Ohio it's been in one of my Drawer's for a while & I can not recall where I got it . Seems to have some age to it.
Glad U were able to get out .

HH
Davers

Yeah I know, huh? I save keys like you wouldn't believe. I have half a drawer full of keys and locks of all kinds. Its more of like, "Maybe someday when the wild winds blow, and civilization has ended as we know it, I'll wind up filing one down just right to fit the lock of a POS Dodge minivan, and rejoice that I have some post-apocalypse transportation. :cool:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always fun to just get out there and dig some holes. I always say every hole you dig is putting you one hole closer to that dream find. Keep on digging Higgy....yours is coming

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh yeah, I got a funny story too.

Title of this thread, "Weather Channel calls for snow tonight, but I got one last hunt in!," is funny because when I let the pooch out for one last sniff around the yard last night around 10-ish, it was lightly snowing. I'm thinking, great - I wont see another detecting outing at all this year. Sadly I went to bed. When I got up, it was completely melted, and water dripping off the roof. Yay!

My 31 year old son, who lives a few towns east of here, texts me, "Did you guys get any snow last night?" I texted him back, "Yes but it all melted now." A few minutes later, he sends a pic of the generator transfer panel he's installing in his house, and a few minutes after that some text about the next beer he's going to make (he's into brewing).

About ten minutes goes by and he texts me again, "Did you guys get any snow last night?"

I texted, "Why dont you scroll up three msgs and see? Do you need a nap, old man?"

He sent me back a "blah" and I giggled, because he's always ranking on me for repeating myself. It sucks getting old, but its great when you can get some payback on the youngsters! :laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Always fun to just get out there and dig some holes. I always say every hole you dig is putting you one hole closer to that dream find. Keep on digging Higgy....yours is coming

Thanks, Abe. That means a lot coming from you. I'm a fellow Mainer, actually. Born and raised on Mount Desert Island. Oh, what we'd find if that place was wide open to us!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Abe. That means a lot coming from you. I'm a fellow Mainer, actually. Born and raised on Mount Desert Island. Oh, what we'd find if that place was wide open to us!
Oh man you aren't kidding brother! I lived in Bar Harbor for a couple summers. Worked at the Blue Nose Inn(Bar Harbor Hotel). I had a blast in the Harbor. Partied my ass off in my early 20s. Such an incredible place if you know it well. It's weird I was just talking about pirate treasure. People have no idea how much confirmed booty has been located on the coast of Maine. Lots and lots of gold and silver coins. Some decent sized caches in pots and trunks. It's not just a fairy tale. Lots of people have found gold and silver coins just gardening in the Portland/Falmouth area. I'd love to explore some of the ocean islands. I've hit a few in close to the shore with great results. Some of my best hunts have been on islands. Sorry bout the rambling but it's cool that you're from Maine. Where are you now my friend?

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah winter is on the way. I'm looking at the weather bug on my computer and current temp is 21 degrees. Hit the parks and grass areas first. It should take the woods longer to freeze up. Today's the first day of shotgun season where I live so the woods wouldn't be advised this weekend. I live too close to NYC where guys only get there guns out once a year and get buck fever. Even with a lot of blaze orange it's a scary thought.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah I know, huh? I save keys like you wouldn't believe. I have half a drawer full of keys and locks of all kinds. Its more of like, "Maybe someday when the wild winds blow, and civilization has ended as we know it, I'll wind up filing one down just right to fit the lock of a POS Dodge minivan, and rejoice that I have some post-apocalypse transportation. :cool:

I save the key's for the same reason 'A JIC Scenario'.
Tho It would likely be easier to learn to "Hot Wire" those older Cars.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you got another hunt in for 2014, it's always depressing knowing winter is approaching. It's been -15 and snowing here for a week already...April seems so far away :(

OP
OP
Higgy

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Abe, I live in NH now for about the last 25 years, but all my family is in MDI/Ellsworth area.

J.Cache, Sorry to hear you are snow-covered. It's 29F and bright and sunny right now, so I'm going to dig until I can't dig anymore!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread