1830s Pistol!

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
My best find ever just came out of electrolysis! I found it the other day at a Second Seminole War fort i've been hunting at here in North Florida. At first I thought i had just a regular old pipe but then i realized that it was octangonal shaped and that there was a "lip" near the end of the barrel! I could even feel a tiny sting of tears in my eyes upon realization of what i had. I've wanted to find a pistol since I was 5 years old. It is truly amazing to finally have this dream fulfilled.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    682.8 KB · Views: 246
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 235
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    582.4 KB · Views: 233
Upvote 11

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find and great story! So happy for you. You're obviously very passionate about this item and the fact that it's a dream find for you is awesome. I found a beautiful hexagonal brass pistol barrel and I consider it one of those "once in a lifetime" type finds. Congrats to you

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrads on the nice one you got there, donneybrook. I know the feeling you got, happens when you bring to light something special that we connect with. Living in Florida as well, Indian Wars artifacts will do that to us. I often tell people who ride me for having such a passion, "Its not a matter of ...If this relic could talk...., IT IS talking and IF you are listening to it , you will understand." Not many folks ever get that, but I am certain that you do, great save there...vn

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the amazing find!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An awesome relic from our past no doubt. Congrats on the find and an even bigger one on achieving the goal.

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Maybe difficult to pin down exactly the make of this barrel but it almost looks like an 1836 Colt Paterson Model 5 (.36 caliber, they made a .28 caliber too in the first year of production, though this one looks a bit bigger in the barrel) Colt sold the Paterson revolver to the US Army and it saw limited use in the Second Seminole War. Only about 2800 of these made (including the .28). Very cool find!

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find and great story! So happy for you. You're obviously very passionate about this item and the fact that it's a dream find for you is awesome. I found a beautiful hexagonal brass pistol barrel and I consider it one of those "once in a lifetime" type finds. Congrats to you

Thank you so much Ahab. Congrats to you on your pine tree shilling by the way!

Congrads on the nice one you got there, donneybrook. I know the feeling you got, happens when you bring to light something special that we connect with. Living in Florida as well, Indian Wars artifacts will do that to us. I often tell people who ride me for having such a passion, "Its not a matter of ...If this relic could talk...., IT IS talking and IF you are listening to it , you will understand." Not many folks ever get that, but I am certain that you do, great save there...vn

Stellar post my friend. I know exactly what you mean about the feeling of pulling something like this out of the ground after all the years its lain there. It's incredible to think that 175 years ago some soldier in some foregin territory he probably didnt want to be in, shot at something and his pistol blew up in his face! (At least, i think its blown up)

An awesome relic from our past no doubt. Congrats on the find and an even bigger one on achieving the goal.

Thanks TN! The 11 years it took me to find this make the discovery that much sweeter. :)

Maybe difficult to pin down exactly the make of this barrel but it almost looks like an 1836 Colt Paterson Model 5 (.36 caliber, they made a .28 caliber too in the first year of production, though this one looks a bit bigger in the barrel) Colt sold the Paterson revolver to the US Army and it saw limited use in the Second Seminole War. Only about 2800 of these made (including the .28). Very cool find!

Thanks! I'll look into it. That'd be awesome if that is indeed the exact model.

OP
OP
G

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
This place i've been hunting has been bizarre. Before the pistol i found a couple heavily deteriorated bayonets. (here's an overlay of one of them) Also pictured is a pic of the pistol pre-electrolysis.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    471.8 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    659.9 KB · Views: 127
OP
OP
G

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
i showed it to a blacksmith at our church yesterday and he said it is indeed a pistol!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread