3 Extremely Rare and Valuable Coins Found in my Dads Collection

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
3 Extremely Rare and Valuable Coins Found in my Dad's Collection

My Dad gave me this box of coins two years back. I never really took a good look at these coins until now. The two that are the most interesting in my opinion are the Commemoratives. The other coins are cool as well so I decided to take a video on the coins. The 2015 Red Book says that the 1938 Oregon Trail Half Dollars is worth 1350 for the set at a MS 66. MY 1938 S is a MS 67. Yes I have the single coin, but I think this is a extremely high grade making it a extremely high rarity. The 1936 Albany half dollar lists a MS 66 as 535$, and mine is a MS 66 so that is listed but the coin still is extremely rare. Yes I found this in a box, not in the ground with a detector, however this is sill a very rare occasion and worth mentioning. Any information or your opinion on this would be highly appreciated!

Upvote 4
OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014

Attachments

• image-3215266404.jpg
    image-3215266404.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 96

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for that, and yes I am using the app

Hi Jolteon, my iPhone does the same thing now since going to the iPhone 6 and ios8. Not sure which one caused it but when I try to upload the second pic and go to the picture folder to select it, it just gives a blank screen. It used to work great, I wish someone would figure out the problem. Nice coins.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any comments?

They are all very nice coins in great condition, my only comment is the misuse of the title post. These are not techniquely 'Extremely Rare' in numismatic terms, it's OK on a forum like this one, but it builds more credibility if we all stick to a similar fact based language/terminology.

Not trying to bust bubbles, they are a great find & glad your Dad had the sense to keep/buy them. Enjoy:icon_thumright:

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crusader, forever the realist. Haha! Something tells me you are perfectly capable of posting with some slang that would fly over the heads of most boys on this side of the pond. Tower of Babel comes to mind if you want to talk about languages and 'building' credibility. (Obscure reference...)

B-e-a-utiful coins! Maybe the wrong forum. But b-e-a-utiful coins. :)

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Good stuff man! My uncle got me into collecting when I was a child. I collected coins for many years. I worked in retail for a long time in which I accumulated coins from 56 countries and lot's of old American silver coins. I had thousands of coins, the oldest dating back to 1848. Then, my friends would find coins and knowing I collected them; would pass them on to me as well. I eventually sold my entire collection. I had car repairs that had to be addressed so I could continue to go to work. I wish I still had them, but my interests have changed and gold and gemstones keep me quite busy these days. :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
Yeah sorry to hear that we at least you found a new hobby that you are happy with

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those commemorative half dollars should get better and better , the mintage numbers on most of them are really low (tens of thousands)
and in MS. 66 - 67 you're doing very well to just hang on to them !

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
I plan to pass them down to my children if I ever have any.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread