Met my silver count from last year and was really surprised today.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last year starting in August, I really made it a point of knocking on doors and detecting. The second house I ever detected at I found two silver dimes the first trip. Actually, the first signal was a 1942 Mercury. Later on, I found a Seated dime and a Walking Liberty at this tiny yard. Still the best place I've ever detected at. This was actually my first silver ever with a detector, although I had found silver on top of the ground a handful of times.

Today, I finally met my silver number from last year, although I detected twice as many places (I keep rudimentary records). This year has been tough for finding great places and great coins. BTW, my silver count this year is 36. I am hoping to make it to 44.

I went back to the sidewalk where my friend had missed a 1948 rosey and I ventured a foot or two further down the ditch and come upon this 1945 Mercury. I literally took a double take because I wasn't expecting it, because although I use a CTX, I strictly dig off sound and how my detector behaves and look at my readout only if there is a lot of trash or I need help pinpointing. I was also surprised that it was only 1 inch deep and more surprised because my mind wasn't into detecting today. I didn't get a ground picture of the Mercury because I was literally holding it before I realized I had dug it.

I went around the corner and detected really quick down a sidewalk. I was disappointed because I had only found two clad quarters and started back and was just swinging when I came across the signal which ended up being a 1911 Barber dime. It was at an extreme angle with the ditch and I had to dig under a root to get to it. It was about 6 inches deep.

20141119_124528_resized.jpg 20141119_160628_resized.jpg

I found this cross thing about 3 inches deep at a lot across from where I found the Merc. I thought it was a piece of can at first. I think it is associated with the Knights Templar. I am not sure. "In hoc signo vinces" means "in this sign you shall conquer" in Latin.

20141119_175230_resized.jpg

I also worked some really tough signals and found 4 wheats. All common dates. One had a nail rusted to the top of it. With the CTX I will run it wide open and work it really slow and listen for the high signals that repeat at least twice. Sometimes I can only get a signal one way. Then I will watch the readout for the 12.42 or higher readings and then try and get a pinpoint. 90% of the time there will be a coin if it stays more than a second at the 12.42 reading. Takes a lot of patience to only move the coil a fraction of an inch at a time until you get a clear signal, but it pays off.

Last edited:
Upvote 15
OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any markings on the back of the cross?

Some rivets where it looked like it mounted to something. The back in the center has some remnants of pot metal, so i'm guessing it had a backing. I bet it was red.

Come to think of it, it may be silver.

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! I found a similar Knights Templar piece last spring.........mine is nickel plated brass & still has some leather under the rivets on the back. Thought maybe it was a martengale that centered on the horses chest?
Haven't been able to find anything more about it............

Iowa Dale

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds! I found a similar Knights Templar piece last spring.........mine is nickel plated brass & still has some leather under the rivets on the back. Thought maybe it was a martengale that centered on the horses chest?
Haven't been able to find anything more about it............

Iowa Dale

I think this one is like what you described. I took a closer look and it looks like nickel plated brass. It has a rivet in all four spots of the cross on the back.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your silver score! Cool cross item too!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhhh.
A more reasonable Silver Count ( For Me).
Only 6 0r 7 Silver Coins for me this year, 120+ wheat's tho "Crazy" ratio IMO.
Dug 30+ last year.
The clad count this year is high enough to buy some nice Silver Dates 'but I would rather dig them.'
Many of those in the NE are Snowed in or Cold In , So it's up to us southern Folk To keep the finds Coming.

Sounds like your getting to know your machine very well, I seem to learn something new about mine every time out.

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Finds man! I hope you hit your goal!
This year has been my best year so far, and its actually from hitting the same places I always did, i just figured out my ATP alot better

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ahhhh.
A more reasonable Silver Count ( For Me).
Only 6 0r 7 Silver Coins for me this year, 120+ wheat's tho "Crazy" ratio IMO.
Dug 30+ last year.
The clad count this year is high enough to buy some nice Silver Dates 'but I would rather dig them.'
Many of those in the NE are Snowed in or Cold In , So it's up to us southern Fold To keep the finds Coming.

Sounds like your getting to know your machine very well, I seem to learn something new about mine every time out.

Its been a ton of work. I bet I've detected 100+ places this year. Last count in the past year and a half I have between 8 and 9 rolls of wheat cents. No key dates, only one is worth about $3.

I haven't been lucky like some folks and stumbled upon a nice old park. The parks that are the oldest are also the ones you get mugged at. I can count the silver and wheats on one hand that I have found in the parks. 90% of everything I dig is on private property.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds Pointman. Good to see hitting some silver. Hang in there! GL&HH.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its been a ton of work. I bet I've detected 100+ places this year. Last count in the past year and a half I have between 8 and 9 rolls of wheat cents. No key dates, only one is worth about $3.

I haven't been lucky like some folks and stumbled upon a nice old park. The parks that are the oldest are also the ones you get mugged at. I can count the silver and wheats on one hand that I have found in the parks. 90% of everything I dig is on private property.

Our oldest parks are the same way, but don't allow Guns ,LOL
Hit one last Sunday where I swear it must have been a Junkyard or land Fill in the past 'solid Signals every 2 feet w/no sign of a target even after a 9+ inches. & The TRX Sounds off when the tip touches the Ground' " A Nightmare "

Funny the first yard I ever "asked " permission for was my best as well, 'Total detectable area a little larger than a Basketball Court' It gave me A 'My only Walker' , A franklin Half, ' my 2ed ,the first one has a bullet stuck in it', a Silver Was,Quarter , Roosie Silver & a Smooth Barber. + one of only 2 .69 cal CW Minies I have Dug. Only 2 wheat's tho. Crazy for a house in use since it was built in the early 50's .

FYI- My first post should have said " Southern Folk" not 'Fold' Daaaaa.

Davers

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Pointman, hope you can get some more good sites!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread