Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN1482.JPG DSCN1483.JPG

Not today's, but first time I got to post it. Went to a pounded out park in MA with a buddy a couple of weeks ago and there were almost no silver signals. I got a faint hit on my Safari that wouldn't show in pinpoint mode so I dug down about 8" and found this cute although squashed sterling thimble. I was using a Sun Ray 8" coil which I like for trashy areas. First one I've found in over forty years of detecting. I've found plenty of brass ones, but this one was a nice surprise in a "hunted out" park. Only silver we found in a 2&1/2 hour hunt, and the park has been there since the 1870s. The dime is for size reference only, came from a different hunt. My buddy managed a couple of wheats, and there was plenty of junk still in the ground, some of which sounded good but proved to be junk when dug up. Getting too cold for my bones now, so I may not get out until spring comes again, good luck to you more hardy souls and all those folks down south.

Upvote 16

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find, I'm done with detecting for the year here , white stuffs on the ground, temps into 20s !

OP
OP
gunsil

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN1485.JPG DSCN1486.JPG DSCN1487.JPG

Hi Don, cleaned it off a little with a rouge cloth. The only other mark seems to be the little five point star to the right of the sterling mark. The 8 I believe is the size. You may be able to see the design better in these photos, the reeded edge at the bottom is applied over the rest of the metal. I am jeweler, and may try to anneal and straighten it out, but I am a little worried about where it is a bit folded near the top. I did open it up a little and see no maker or other marks on the inside. I see no English hallmarks and I am familiar with those, perhaps the star is a maker's mark.
Best, Gene

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver finds! Congrats!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Gene,
Thanks for the additional pics. I'm familiar with a 5-star mark on thimble crowns and at the top of the inside, but not a 'free standing' 5-star where yours is located. More research needed, I guess......
Don.........

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gunsil, great finds love the thimble. GL & HH!

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Super silver thimble! :icon_flower::blob3::icon_flower:

Congrats & please ignore my jealous green envy face, lol. :happysmiley: :laughing7: Best wishes for more good hunts! Andi

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Congrats 'gunsil', you are now a digitabulist !!
'scaupus', I like your 'Waite, Thresher' call (1886-1906)
If there would have been a thimble mark within the star, the date range would have been 1907-1927.
Don......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions