Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Easy Diggin' In The Wood Chips Today, Plus Made A New Friend

Hi all,

I have been overdoing it lately with all the digging and my fingers have been aching alot, so I went out to a few schools to check the wood chips so I wouldn't have to dig much..I found $8.30 in clad, 11 zipper pulls, another ring that's NOT gold >:( (I know dr quest..I don't want to talk about it)! a necklace, a little purse charm, 3 buttons and 1 religious medal. The ring was on top of the ground in the wood chips between the see-saws..the necklace was by the slide barely beneath the surface.

FINDS1-1.jpg

FINDS2-1.jpg

What made my day though was when a few small kids on bicycles came over and became so interested in what I was doing that they followed me all over the place..I think they became interested because they saw me pulling up money with very little effort..2 of the kids (brother and sister) lived in a house right across the fence from the school, and I waved at the mom and dad as they were working in the yard so they knew I was a "good guy". I gave each kid a newly dug up quarter, and let them pick up some pennies and dimes when my detector would go off. After two of them left, one little boy continued to follow me around everywhere I went, so I made sure he told his parents where he was so they wouldn't worry. When I put down my detector he grabbed it and started to go over the wood chips with it, so I planted a coin for him to dig up..he was just thrilled. After a while he told me, "We sure are finding lots of treasure!"

I had a hard time saying goodbye to the kid..he asked me if I was coming back tomorrow and I had to remind him tomorrow was a school day :-\ The last thing he said to me was "See ya this summer!" :D

Nat

Upvote 0

Missouri_John

Nov 27, 2006
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Re: Easy Diggin' In The Wood Chips Today, Plus Made A New Friend

that reminds me of how i got started detecing. I was living in military housing in San Diego when i was 12 and i saw a lady metal detecting and kept following her around and was totally fascinated that she was pulling money out of the ground. I went to a flea market one day with my dad and saw a metal detector and just had to have it. 20 years later i'm still digging my own treasures.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

That is so cool! Sounds like the best of days, good thing you decided to go out despite the aching hands, you made friends and made their day too!

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina

Great finds and a great story !! Your a good guy ! Those kids will have dreams tonight of finding treasure ! ;D ;D ;D

King-John

Jan 14, 2007
Grass Valley, Ca.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac/X1 Probe, Whites 6000 XL pro, Ace 250,

WTG--Natman
THE NEXT GENERATION, it will be up to them in the future to keep our hobby alive and leagal.

paul1410

Feb 6, 2007
Land of the Cheese Steak
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado, White's Spectrum XLT

Nice haul, Nat!
And a real nice story, you may well have changed the course of that young one's life today.

Well done!

relikhunter

Jul 17, 2006
S.E. kansas
Detector(s) used
whites dfx garrett gtp 1350

Really cool story!Probably make the little kids wk........Way to go......rh

twister

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2005
Springfield, MO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome story, Im sure you made his day!!

HH Twister

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice pile of clad and a great story to go with it.

HH

Rumblebelly

Jan 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
(RS)Discovery 2000, white's bullseye, NEW DFX!!!

great experience.

I love hunting the wood chips, they are very easy to dig and not as much junk. Glad you had a great time.

Rumblebelly

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Really nice hunt Natman--- :o Those kids must have holes in thier pockets ;D

Yarrum

Mar 13, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Jackeroo, BH Landstar

Good on ya mate, little kids can be annoying sometimes but ya did the right thing. Good for kids to have an interest rather than getting up to mischief.

HH

Great clad by the way

B

BIG61AL

I've never been able to squeeze more that 35 cents out of a tot lot. you must have rich little kids in your area.

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thank you for the nice words, it was quite a day.

BIG61AL said:
I've never been able to squeeze more that 35 cents out of a tot lot. you must have rich little kids in your area.

One of the places I went to was like that, but I noticed the wood chips were new..sometimes they remove the old before they dump a new batch.

Check schools where it looks like they've been matted down for awhile..older mulch has a grayish look to it, the newer stuff is a gold brown color.

I also noticed I was digging into brown pebbles when trying to retreive the deeper targets..they just poured over the pebbles with the new mulch, so you can find more if that's the case. Also, the playground areas I searched were huge, which makes for more time spent and many more targets.

Yarrum said:
Good on ya mate, little kids can be annoying sometimes but ya did the right thing. Good for kids to have an interest rather than getting up to mischief.

These kids were so well behaved..at first when I saw them coming I thought "Oh great", but I soon realized they were quite nice and really enjoyed their company..the experience made the day all the more memorable.

Nat

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool story, Natman. Most of the little kids I come across while detecting are well behaved and respectful as well. Refreshing, isn't it? When they're like that, I have no problem chatting with them. Their questions are usually cute and amusing. Maybe your gold ring is in your new buddy's yard. Just a thought. Nice clad total. 11 zipper pulls? I can't remember ever losing a zipper pull. Your gold ring is out there. It took me 5 years to find mine and that was beach hunting digging EVERYTHING. I'd look in the treasure magazines and see the stories about a handful of rings found on the beach in an afternoon. I'd wonder what I was doing wrong. I think my signature at the bottom sums it up.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Nice haul. It's been a while since I have found more than a half dozen quarters or so. Always fun to find lot's of stuff.

Bob

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Way to go Nat! The ole woodchips never fail to give up the goodies - nice haul.....

Night Stalker

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well it looks like you are getting closer to paying that detector off, or have you already?
Nice finds.

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks again, I'm having a great time with this hobby and it's hard to stay away from it lately.

Bull Durham said:
Well it looks like you are getting closer to paying that detector off, or have you already?

Let's see..$200 detector (White's Prizm II bought last September), $102 in quarters, 43 wheat pennies, $30 in dimes, $9 in Lincoln Memorial pennies, some assorted silver dimes and 11 rings (5 silver)..so I'm about $60 away from paying it off..if you count the rings, and I'd say yes, it's paid for! ;D

Nat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions