May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are running out of good options & only had a short 3 hour window, so we stuck close by. This field is close to a Roman Town & within its farming/administrative boundries. Although its always been farm land with no nearby sites (other than the Town), it does produce a little bit of most periods.
It was raining most of the time, but still pretty mild. (sticky boots time!)

2 Scrappies
2 Lead Tokens
1 Rose Farthing
19th C Hunts Button - Running Hare
Livery Button - Dogs Head
Blank Shilling
Late Georgian Fob Seal - Stone in mostly complete but its blank - lots of these were pure fashion - no function
Scrap Silver
On my last run before returning to the car I saved the day with a Charles I Tower Mint Halfpenny.8-)

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 89
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 431
Upvote 7

BurntBear

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2014
N.E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Shovels....lots of shovels!
Primary Interest:
Other
Crusader,

At some point, I think you need to write a book about your discoveries. :occasion14:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thats a tiny one! You're really focused on what your doing! :notworthy: Like the fob seal and the livery button too!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That halfpenny is minuscule ! I'm guessing the hole was so it could be worn on a skein or chord of some kind , alas it hit the dirt
anyway ! Good day out there .

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet halfpence Cru, thanks for sharing! I poked around and found that they only weigh about 1/5th of a gram! That's tiny! Also, regarding it being holed, I came across this blurb which was very informative. I'm sure you know all about it, but would imagine that most of us here haven't heard of the (potential) reason behind the coins getting punctured:

The coin is nail-bored, probably as a consequence of measures taken during the Great Recoinage of 1696. It is unfortunate that it was only coins in relatively good condition that were required to be pierced in this way; those that were clipped/worn were not allowed to be tendered. When hammered coins are found in this state (i.e. relatively good condition with crude holes through them), this is invariably the reason. They have not been converted to pendants as some argue, and thus they remain coins, not artefacts:

"Persons having unclipt hammered Monies before 10th Feb. 1695, to cause the same to be punched.; After 10th Feb. no unclipt hammered Monies to be current unless so punched.; Receiving, &c. such appearing to be clipt; Penalty; Quarter Sessions empowered to determine Offences.

And in regard such of the Coins of this Realme formerly made with the Hammer and not by the Mill and Presse and which doe att this time remain Whole and Unclipt will still bee most liable and subject to that pernicious Crime of Clipping or Rounding by wicked Persons who regard their owne unjust Lucre more then the Preservation of their native Countrey. For the better Prevention thereof bee it further enacted by the. Authority aforesaid That every Person having such unclipt hammered Moneys in his her or their Hands...doe before the Tenth Day of February One thousand six hundred ninety five or before they dispose of the same cause such unclipt Moneys to bee struck through about the Middle of every Piece with a solid Punch that shall make a Hole without diminishing the Silver And that after the said Tenth Day of February noe unclipt hammered Moneys (that is to say) such Pieces as have both Rings. or the greatest part of the Letters appearing thereon shall bee Current unlesse it be soe struck through And if any Piece struck through shall appeare afterwards to bee clipt noe Person shall tender or receive the same in Payment under the Penalty of. forfeiting as much as the clipt Moneys soe puncht through shall amount to in Tale to bee recovered to the Use of the Poor of the Parish where such Money shall bee soe tendred or received And His Majesties Justices of the Peace or the major part of them in the General Quarter Session upon Complaint to bee made to them of such Offence are hereby impowered to take Cognizance thereof and to determine the same and for that purpose to cause the Parties complained of to appear before them and in case of Conviction to issue their Warrant or Warrants to levy such Penalty upon the Goods and Chattells of the Offenders."

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always get a chuckle when I see you use a US penny for size reference.

Another great day for you Cru!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've always understood another reason for holes coinage was for the owner to sew the coinage to the inside of clothing for protection again loss or theft.

Cru it seems regardless of what dirt you walk over the finds for a few hours are nothing short of being to notch. Liking the silver as the cut quarters and these little halves don't come easy, and it really shows that your on your game.
In the third photo over is the star looking piece off a Quillon Dagger?

bootybandit

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2014
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21,
Tecnetics Omega 8000,
T-Rex 9.5"
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing finds, once again!

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP Dร‰US, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love it all, as always! Great fob and livery button.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That halfpenny is minuscule ! I'm guessing the hole was so it could be worn on a skein or chord of some kind , alas it hit the dirt
anyway ! Good day out there .

Plumbata, has the most likely reason. Something this small would not need sewing into the clothes for a safe journey (those were more popular on sea journeys & with larger denominations of Spanish/Trade silver). As it's a small value coin used by the masses, it's too valueable for them to just to make jewelry out of. There is one other train of thought, that some were Touchpieces:
Touch piece - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
CHARLES I TUN SILVER HAMMERED TOWER MINT HALFCROWN TOUCH PIECE COIN 026353 | eBay
Coins that were touched by the King or near him. That would give a sick person or someone wishing to carry a talisman a reason to keep it on their person & ward off the evil eye ect....

We will near know for sure how many of these were touchpieces & how many were re-issue. But as I have so many holed hammered coins, its clear to say most of them would be re-issue of 1696.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always understood another reason for holes coinage was for the owner to sew the coinage to the inside of clothing for protection again loss or theft.

Cru it seems regardless of what dirt you walk over the finds for a few hours are nothing short of being to notch. Liking the silver as the cut quarters and these little halves don't come easy, and it really shows that your on your game.
In the third photo over is the star looking piece off a Quillon Dagger?

I think I tried to correct the Colchester Site for that mis-ID of a Medieval dagger Quillion. Its an 18th C Furniture piece (pretty common find for us), see below:

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet halfpence Cru, thanks for sharing! I poked around and found that they only weigh about 1/5th of a gram! That's tiny! Also, regarding it being holed, I came across this blurb which was very informative. I'm sure you know all about it, but would imagine that most of us here haven't heard of the (potential) reason behind the coins getting punctured:

Yes, 0.21g

It's an unsual type of coin, as all it has is a Rose on both sides with no other letters or mintmarks.

Yes the reason you found is the most likely.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think I tried to correct the Colchester Site for that mis-ID of a Medieval dagger Quillion. Its an 18th C Furniture piece (pretty common find for us), see below:

Thank You for showing me the correct way on how it was used Cru, sometimes we want to believe a find is something it's not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread