GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to my go-to farm a couple of days ago for a quick hunt and crossed a big one off of my list. Had I realized that I'd be getting a week of sub-zero weather, the hunt would have been much longer... but I was happy after finding my first love token! :hello2:

Other permissions may yield more finds, but this place has been good to me with the old stuff. The dying/dead clover and grass opened up a few spots that weren't cut this year. I see a couple of rainy days up ahead that will allow me to get out again. Hopefully I can sniff out a few more, if there's any left...

LC, 1955 dime, a dress weight? and a couple of buttons

2014_11_21_16_27_02.jpg

Holed 1856 Seated Liberty Love Token! One of the holes looks to have been filled with another piece of silver. I do like the Greek Key around the "L". :tongue3: I also cringe at the thought that it could have had an "S" mint mark on the reverse, but I highly doubt it. It shall remain a mystery.

2014_11_21_16_11_37.jpg

2014_11_21_16_11_20.jpg

Happy hunting.

Last edited:
Upvote 25

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love tokens are cool. being that it has been holed in two places, I believe it was part of a bracelet. I've seen love token bracelets that were made of several coins. go back and see if you can locate more!

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
love tokens are cool. being that it has been holed in two places, I believe it was part of a bracelet. I've seen love token bracelets that were made of several coins. go back and see if you can locate more!

I like your theory! I'll be going back, for sure. I found a seated with arrows there last year, but it had no holes.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool Gio!!! A love token is on my list...But kind of hoping its made from a barber instead of seated..Lol..
Nice find..
George

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really cool Gio!!! A love token is on my list...But kind of hoping its made from a barber instead of seated..Lol..
Nice find..
George

Haha. I hear ya. Thanks, brother.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
something else I noticed is that it appears to have been stamped, rather than engraved like most are. I find that interesting, and probably the first stamped one I've ever seen

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love finding old coins! But, what I really enjoy more is finding jewelry from long ago. This is the best of both worlds!

I mean, we hear about a lot of rings found on here. But how many of those were dated? Even anniv. dates would be cool! I'd love to find
a ring that has a date engraved from the 1700's on back.

Wonderful find!

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
something else I noticed is that it appears to have been stamped, rather than engraved like most are. I find that interesting, and probably the first stamped one I've ever seen

Stamped! I was wondering how the L was so "thick and deep". Never mind, you perverts.... You know what I mean. :laughing7:

Last edited:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting find ! The style of this "love token" is a big departure from any I've yet seen . The key pattern and the L appear
much more modern than you would expect in the Victorian era that I associate with these things. I'm curious to hear some more
theories / ideas about this .

OP
OP
GioTheGreek

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very interesting find ! The style of this "love token" is a big departure from any I've yet seen . The key pattern and the L appear
much more modern than you would expect in the Victorian era that I associate with these things. I'm curious to hear some more
theories / ideas about this .

The field is not far from an area that was a riverboat stop during the glorious riverboat days. I have found quite a bit of American coinage around there. LC's, hard times tokens, other seateds... They stopped the riverboats in the 1940's. Perhaps it was engraved at a much later date?

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh damn Gio! That is one of the coolest Love tokens I've ever see. Beautiful brother. Congrats

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love tokens are cool but why do they have to be made out of such good coins

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really cool find, congrats!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Getting a silver and a LC with buttons and the hem weight even without the Seated Love Token the hunt would of been pretty good hunt.
I remember getting a Love Token some 20 yrs ago and seeing yours brings back the thrill once again like it was yesterday.
Seeing posted up Love Token made from Seated silver seems like a common thread, and it makes me wonder if it's the goddess Liberty that was the first choice for the love tokens?

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That coin has seen some miles and adventure. I imagine if it could tell a story it would be a great one! I think it's wayyy cooler than just a plain 1856.

Nice find, those little seated dime signals can be tricky

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool love token. I've wanted one since the first seen one on this site. Congrats

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread