2nd Silver from vacant lot where house used to be

frojones

May 3, 2014
Wise, VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't post a few weeks ago when I dug my first silver coin, so this actually makes my second so far. There is a grassy lot right in town where I live where 2 houses used to stand. I had never hit that spot because I didn't know whose land it was. When I was informed the town owned it I was excited. A lady across the road said she often saw other MDers out there so I was a little worried I may be too late, but each time I've hit it I have been proved wrong. My first day yielded a few wheaties in poor condition. My second try, however, I experienced my very first silver beep. This was what I had been waiting for since April. I just knew it was a coin. Sure enough, out popped a 1939 Washington quarter, worn but legible. I was so happy. Finally finding silver really got my spirits up about this hobby.

20141104_005804.jpg

I went back to the sight a couple more times, usually to kill time before work, but only dug a few miscellaneous items like parts of toy cars and an old tube of red lipstick. Then last night, in the frigid cold, I gave it another shot towards the back of the lot where I hadn't been yet. 15 minutes before I had to be at work, with numb hands I popped out my second silver, a 1910 Barber Quarter. She is a beauty. I was surprised that it was in even better shape than the 1939 one.

20141121_180526_1.jpg

Immediately after I got another penny hit and dug out my 5th coal scrip token, a 1 cent piece from Elkhorn Coal Company. Like other scrip I've found, the elements had corroded it pretty bad, but it's still a neat piece of southwest Virginia's history. Thanks for stopping by my post and keep up the amazing finds!

Upvote 12

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread