2nd Silver from vacant lot where house used to be

frojones

May 3, 2014
Wise, VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't post a few weeks ago when I dug my first silver coin, so this actually makes my second so far. There is a grassy lot right in town where I live where 2 houses used to stand. I had never hit that spot because I didn't know whose land it was. When I was informed the town owned it I was excited. A lady across the road said she often saw other MDers out there so I was a little worried I may be too late, but each time I've hit it I have been proved wrong. My first day yielded a few wheaties in poor condition. My second try, however, I experienced my very first silver beep. This was what I had been waiting for since April. I just knew it was a coin. Sure enough, out popped a 1939 Washington quarter, worn but legible. I was so happy. Finally finding silver really got my spirits up about this hobby.

20141104_005804.jpg

I went back to the sight a couple more times, usually to kill time before work, but only dug a few miscellaneous items like parts of toy cars and an old tube of red lipstick. Then last night, in the frigid cold, I gave it another shot towards the back of the lot where I hadn't been yet. 15 minutes before I had to be at work, with numb hands I popped out my second silver, a 1910 Barber Quarter. She is a beauty. I was surprised that it was in even better shape than the 1939 one.

20141121_180526_1.jpg

Immediately after I got another penny hit and dug out my 5th coal scrip token, a 1 cent piece from Elkhorn Coal Company. Like other scrip I've found, the elements had corroded it pretty bad, but it's still a neat piece of southwest Virginia's history. Thanks for stopping by my post and keep up the amazing finds!

Upvote 12

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hell yeah Fro! Good job and keep at it. Don't ever get scared off because others have detected an area. Even the best of us don't get everything and if you really learn your machine you will find good stuff that others missed. I hope to see a lot more from you in the future. I will be watching.
Great post too

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
excellent silvers. hope you find more

OP
OP
frojones

frojones

May 3, 2014
Wise, VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Ahab, your kind words mean a lot!

OP
OP
frojones

frojones

May 3, 2014
Wise, VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And thank you to everyone else as well!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta love silver quarters...nice Barber...congrats.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing like the look of that silver coming out of the dirt. You done good!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Great quarters. Nice to feel a bigger silver in your hand. Congrats!

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! the rush of finding silver is great, HH!

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
:notworthy: Congrats on your wonderful old silver! :notworthy:

After 4 years, I still haven't dug one that old. Have Fun & keep warm! :icon_thumright: Andi

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice barber quarter!, that's a must have coin for me!! Looks like a 2015 goal since seasons almost over

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice silvers, good work sticking at it. Congrats!

OP
OP
frojones

frojones

May 3, 2014
Wise, VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just glad I managed to dig my plug perfectly around each of these coins! I would have been so super pissed off if I had knicked one with my trowel!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking there's a Standing Liberty quarter hiding in there - makes sense if you look at the two quarters you pulled already .

OP
OP
frojones

frojones

May 3, 2014
Wise, VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking there's a Standing Liberty quarter hiding in there - makes sense if you look at the two quarters you pulled already .

I would love to think so! I've been hitting that spot every day now but without luck. All I dug today was a few clad pennies. The other night I ended my search by treading in a large fresh pile of dog poop haha I guess thats one of the risks of md'ing in the dark! In the daylight I realized that spot is a mine field. It's a wonder that I didn't step in some sooner! Good thing my shoes are waterproof. It made spraying them off a breeze! But now I have to live with the guilt of not telling my girlfriend that I used our shower to wash away the evidence. What she doesn't know won't hurt her :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

Last edited:

leviathanrick

Mar 31, 2013
Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is no such thing as a searched out area. I have found many great finds in parks that have been pounded by MDers. A small silver coin in even a small lot can be easily missed. I have personally found large silver and gold rings in parks I have pound for as much as three years. You just never know. Congrats on that Barber. I have yet to find one of those!

ks coyote

Aug 30, 2012
Auburn Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX x 2, XLT, SL 90, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the Barber Quarter. Great find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread