Yesterdays Colonial - Quantity and Quality - Colonial Spur and Charles II Button??

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday's Colonial - Quantity and Quality - Colonial Spur and Charles II Button??

My good pal Bill D and I got back out yesterday to our latest colonial site. STILL the site had not been cleaned up and properly cropped. We are just poking at it and waiting for optimal conditions. Still, the day for coins was Bill...although I started off with the odd none colonial find for this site, 1867 5 Cent Nickel.

We spent the first part of the day in a deep ravine where I did recover a nice early andiron that will need to go into electrolysis (Bill took a good pic and I am sure he will include it in his post). We then moved back into the fields where I investigated the foundation that I located last week...after some probing and more test holes, we decided that it was indeed a foundation and quite extensive in size. Still I decided to poke around for coins...I looked and looked and looked. Digging a button here and broken shoe buckle there. All while Bill was working the backside of the hill. He began digging a button here and there when he called me over. I decided to stay put and continued to eak out a relic here and there until he finally struck with the first coin.

I then decided to make the trip over as my spot was playing out. We worked hard for the rest of the day and I tallied 26 buttons including one good one (perhaps). I recovered a very large pewter button (odd to still be intact) and spent most of the evening looking through the books and websites. Finally I zeroed in on what it most likely will be, in Humes Book (Colonial Artifacts) he shows a Charles II pewter that matches fairly close. Looking on the UKFD, I did find a few others. The initial thought that I had was that the button had a tree motif or crude eagle on the face. Then I noticed a "C" raised along the rim in the same place that both the Charles Buttons I saw had it. Any other ideas are welcome.

The one absolute good find of the hunt was the late 17th century to mid 18th century spur complete (other than slightly bent) with the figure 8 attachment buckles and chain attachments. Two other nice finds are the apothecary weight and lead seal. I was pleased to end the day with this find and while I did not dig a good colonial coin, I did manage 26 buttons (some dandy buttons and other early ones), two nice little thimbles, musket balls, odds and ends the spur and a big hunk of iron (colonial andiron).

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    634.6 KB · Views: 161
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    385.6 KB · Views: 151
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    643.6 KB · Views: 151
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    557 KB · Views: 139
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    422.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    585.4 KB · Views: 157
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    355.8 KB · Views: 152
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    361.2 KB · Views: 140
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    376.9 KB · Views: 142
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    426.3 KB · Views: 168
Upvote 17

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea...the only thing I went off of is the button in Hume's book, matches the same rim (scalloped) and the "C" in the same place. The rest of it is just too far gone I believe to make out. We will probably never know for sure.

Then what I'm seeing probably is not a bust facing left. It is off center, but given the age it wouldn't be a shocker.

Attachments

• kjkj.JPG
    kjkj.JPG
    448.9 KB · Views: 62
OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then what I'm seeing probably is not a bust facing left. It is off center, but given the age it wouldn't be a shocker.

Interesting ... sort of like picking shapes out of clouds. I saw the neckline as well as it reminded me of some of the bust coins. The "C" is just to the right of the head...shows up weak in the photo, but actually one of the more prominent facial features on the button.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you can excuse my slacking until tomorrow Abe. I'll try to have something up before noon if I can make myself come inside from the September-like uppers 70s. BTW - how did your hunt go today?

Not well my friend. Just couldn't seem to get myself into a good spot. Got a few round balls and some giant piece of lead but that's it. I'll get em next time bud. Looking forward to your post buddy

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not well my friend. Just couldn't seem to get myself into a good spot. Got a few round balls and some giant piece of lead but that's it. I'll get em next time bud. Looking forward to your post buddy

Still don't feel bad for you ... tree hugger ;)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cru, I agree, it is a 18th century button indeed. The two that Hume references are 18th century and were likely remembrance or some other likeness. Not even positive that it is the same button....too far gone to be sure.

OK, sorry, mis-understood. Its a shame its not more clear because these types are rare.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love the spur a lot. And all those buttons are wonderful finds. Would love to hunt a place like that.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Great digs Dan. Some unique finds there including the complete spur which is tough to dig. Good luck next time out, must be a killer silver in there somewhere.
-Evan

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome spur Dan. I can't remember seeing an intact example dug before.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great eclectic group. You must sit and stare as you imagine the use of the pieces in our ancestor's lives. Great hunt from you 2.

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a lot of buttons and that spur is awesome. What's the trash to treasure ratio? Must pretty good or you'd be digging a lot of holes. Oh and I don't feel bad for Abe either!

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a lot of buttons and that spur is awesome. What's the trash to treasure ratio? Must pretty good or you'd be digging a lot of holes. Oh and I don't feel bad for Abe either!

3:10 - very little amount of modern stuff found. If it is a target, for the most part, it is old.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions