Yesterdays Colonial - Quantity and Quality - Colonial Spur and Charles II Button??

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday's Colonial - Quantity and Quality - Colonial Spur and Charles II Button??

My good pal Bill D and I got back out yesterday to our latest colonial site. STILL the site had not been cleaned up and properly cropped. We are just poking at it and waiting for optimal conditions. Still, the day for coins was Bill...although I started off with the odd none colonial find for this site, 1867 5 Cent Nickel.

We spent the first part of the day in a deep ravine where I did recover a nice early andiron that will need to go into electrolysis (Bill took a good pic and I am sure he will include it in his post). We then moved back into the fields where I investigated the foundation that I located last week...after some probing and more test holes, we decided that it was indeed a foundation and quite extensive in size. Still I decided to poke around for coins...I looked and looked and looked. Digging a button here and broken shoe buckle there. All while Bill was working the backside of the hill. He began digging a button here and there when he called me over. I decided to stay put and continued to eak out a relic here and there until he finally struck with the first coin.

I then decided to make the trip over as my spot was playing out. We worked hard for the rest of the day and I tallied 26 buttons including one good one (perhaps). I recovered a very large pewter button (odd to still be intact) and spent most of the evening looking through the books and websites. Finally I zeroed in on what it most likely will be, in Humes Book (Colonial Artifacts) he shows a Charles II pewter that matches fairly close. Looking on the UKFD, I did find a few others. The initial thought that I had was that the button had a tree motif or crude eagle on the face. Then I noticed a "C" raised along the rim in the same place that both the Charles Buttons I saw had it. Any other ideas are welcome.

The one absolute good find of the hunt was the late 17th century to mid 18th century spur complete (other than slightly bent) with the figure 8 attachment buckles and chain attachments. Two other nice finds are the apothecary weight and lead seal. I was pleased to end the day with this find and while I did not dig a good colonial coin, I did manage 26 buttons (some dandy buttons and other early ones), two nice little thimbles, musket balls, odds and ends the spur and a big hunk of iron (colonial andiron).

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    634.6 KB · Views: 161
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    385.6 KB · Views: 151
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    643.6 KB · Views: 151
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    557 KB · Views: 139
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    422.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    426.3 KB · Views: 168
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    376.9 KB · Views: 142
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    361.2 KB · Views: 140
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    355.8 KB · Views: 152
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    585.4 KB · Views: 157
Upvote 17

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Dan, I especially like the spur. Looks like a great site, I love colonial relics. I also found a bullion weight yesterday (3 pennyweight) that I'll be posting later.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow nice bunch of finds . Spur is very cool.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a button bonanza! Beautiful spur too.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Any minute I figured you were going to trump my coppers with a huge silver coin, but I guess you decided to take it easy on me. But you definitely killed me in the button department. And that's spur is an awesome artifact and definitely the find of the day. Had a great time again as usual. Looking forward to Tuesday.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any minute I figured you were going to trump my coppers with a huge silver coin, but I guess you decided to take it easy on me. But you definitely killed me in the button department. And that's spur is an awesome artifact and definitely the find of the day. Had a great time again as usual. Looking forward to Tuesday.
Yea yea....just post your stuff up. Still amazed that neither of us popped one of those out. Had fun....Tuesday will be my day.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That colonial spur is awesome Dan. I've dug pieces of them but I've never seen a whole one dug. Congrats!

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Epic. Love the spur!

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds!!! What camera do you use to take your pictures? They are fantastic! Congrats

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That spur is awesome and that button is really interesting. Looks like a great day. Can you tell Bill to stop slacking and post his stuff lol

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds!!! What camera do you use to take your pictures? They are fantastic! Congrats

Thanks man - I use a Nikon d3200. It is a great camera and easy to learn. I've had a few years of experience with photography from when I once published a relic magazine.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see no button that could be Charles II, only 18th C.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The button looks much more like the portrait of Queen Anne.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see no button that could be Charles II, only 18th C.

Cru, I agree, it is a 18th century button indeed. The two that Hume references are 18th century and were likely remembrance or some other likeness. Not even positive that it is the same button....too far gone to be sure.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The button looks much more like the portrait of Queen Anne.

I have no idea...the only thing I went off of is the button in Hume's book, matches the same rim (scalloped) and the "C" in the same place. The rest of it is just too far gone I believe to make out. We will probably never know for sure.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. Love the shield nickel. The 1872 one I found had some nice detail but when it dried out later it all seemed to flake off! :(

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking spur! What a nice selection of finds.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's a pile of good digging there! great saves!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That spur is awesome and that button is really interesting. Looks like a great day. Can you tell Bill to stop slacking and post his stuff lol

Hope you can excuse my slacking until tomorrow Abe. I'll try to have something up before noon if I can make myself come inside from the September-like uppers 70s. BTW - how did your hunt go today?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions