Old cartridge casing...45-70?

S

skyrider

Hello, Folks...

Went out today for a little bit and found what appears to be either a .45-70 cartridge casing or maybe some .30cal...I think it's copper-cased.? Not 100% sure what cal though...

From my brief research, it looks like it was made at Frankford Aresenal in Philadelphia, PA in Oct. 1904.

We did some research and the park we were hunting used to be an old firing range for my alma mater, Texas A&M University.? Even today, the ROTC program there produces more commissioned officers outside of the service academies.

It was about 10-12" down.? Shown next to a .30-06 for comparison.

My friend that went with me had never seen an old pull-tab from the 70's before today...boy, I feel old!

fa1004a.jpg

fa1004b.jpg

Cheers!

Upvote 0

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Nice post and pics.? Thanks for sharing that SR. Did you tell your friend we used to make hippy dippy chains out of them?....P.S.-You are old ;D~CO2

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
My thoughts are possibly .30/40 Krag. By the way a friend sells those old pull tabs at flea market. Wraps a nickle with one and sells it for .10 as a Poor Man's Money Clip. Has sold a couple doz., guess there are more people that haven't seen the old ones, and yes we made chains and belts with them a LONG time ago. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread