Need help on identifying this unfired BULLET!

GavinoGambino

Oct 14, 2014
Twin Cities
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this last friday and im just wondering if anyone could help me out on the details of this bullet! Thanks, Gavin. IMG_1166.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GavinoGambino

GavinoGambino

Oct 14, 2014
Twin Cities
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I first thought it was fired too with the casing not being on the back, but it has such a fine point still that its almost as if somone ripped it from the casing and then dropped it. Anyone know a year this could be? Im kind of hoping to date this new site ive been hunting

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The vertical lines (probably 6 of them on your bullet) running from the 12:30 to 6:30 show that you bullet was fired through a rifle barrel - the rifling in the barrel of the gun "grabs" the bullet as it's traveling down the barrel and puts spin on the bullet, like a quarterback throwing a nice spiral pass on a football, for increased accuracy. As far as the bullet not hitting anything, which seems to be the case with your, does happen, although somewhat rare since they can travel so far.

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To determine better the cartridge options for said bullet, you need to provide the dimensions of it (in mm is best), and weight…….7.62 would be a common one.
And I agree that is has been fired by the spiral groove marks on it……that the nose is not deformed only says it did not strike something hard after discharge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread