Bucket list find, but should wait to post. Native American Copper Complex tool!

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off I apologize, I dropped my camera last week and am unable to post pics till I pick up a new one. I figured my detecting year was over last week so I was not in a rush. Anyway we had a warm snap of weather over the weekend and the ground once again became dig able. Today I figured after work I should just get out and work a local wooded area one last time this year. So I am working an area I have hit dozens of time and along side a 1' a round tree I get a bounce high tone. Ok clad quarter but then I see my machine is telling me 6" down. My experience told me at that depth is older an possible silver. I pull out what looked at first like a large square nail. Strange square nail, comes to a point about the size of a pencil lead and has no head like nails do. Also rang up as silver. Then I hits me this must be a copper tool dropped by Natives thousands of years ago! Sure enough I get home and taking a better look you can actually see the folds in the metal. Then I took a needle and made a small poke to see if I could see the shinny copper and sure enough there it was! Well needless to say I am stoked my first mam made native American copper complex find. Again sorry no photos, will post under native American site as soon as I pick up new camera. Common find for most but not me!......................... Should add that I live in Northern Ill. well with in the area copper complex items have been found. To be honest only in the last three years of ten years metal detecting has this fact of the Copper complex come under my radar. Finding small pieces of drif copper in farm fields and doing research is how I learned of Natives using copper and possible and finding items lost thousands of years ago.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I didn't post pics.. I feel bad now for letting everyone down. Next time I will know better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread