Woodmen Of The World Token

P@tch

Apr 9, 2013
mooresville,nc
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer 2, etrac, deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had about thirty minutes this afternoon after work and stopped at the old one room school on my way home from work. Didn't dig many signals but got this at about twelve inches. Cleaned it the best I could. Its my first Woodmen token and Im happy with it. 1124142016.jpg

Upvote 7

ks coyote

Aug 30, 2012
Auburn Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX x 2, XLT, SL 90, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice old token. Congrats on a cool find.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Good find TL. That school has yielded some good stuff for you. Congrats. GL&HH!

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
The Woodmen of the World is a still-active mutual insurance organization (Google it). And it really has nothing to do with forestry - it is based in Omaha, NE. In the early days of the group, say 1890s - 1930s, a large part of its business was providing what we now call "term life" insurance so that a person's funeral expenses would be covered. In many cemeteries, one can see examples of their iconic "stump" tombstone. This piece was probably given to members as they signed up to be used as a pocket piece in the hopes that the insured would show it to others who might be potential customers for the company. Being made of aluminum, it likely dates from ca. 1915 - 1925.
John in the Great 208

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For a very short hunt that is a very nice find, Todd. Hope you have continued success on future hunts. Look forward to getting together with you on a hunt one day.

dhersh

Mar 3, 2015
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Don't use anything, just rummage in garage and estate sales.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one too. Made of thin metal material, a round token of some kind, undated. On the front is a raised profile of a man with "W.A. Frazer." underneath and "SOVEREIGN COMMANDER" above. On the other side is what appears to be the organization logo, the stump of a tree with its slogan "DUM TACET CLAMAT" which translates "though silent, he speaks" on the front of the stump. An ax with two other nondescript tools and one long tool leaning in front of the stump, with clumps of grass growing all around. "Woodmen of the World" is written across the top and "Omaha, Nebr." on the bottom. Good info at this site: Southern Graves: Dum Tacet Clamat

Interesting organization. Worth investigation.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
heck yeah! great token find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread