Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Three Corroded Coppers and a couple Rifleman's Buttons

This past Sunday was a beautiful day in Pennsylvania to get out outdoors with a metal detector. Chances are there won’t be another like it for months. My sister and I took advantage of the weather and to check out an old mill site I found on an 1817 map. We were able to find the foundation stones but nothing else, so we moved on to one of my well hunted sites nearby. I was able to dig three deep coppers but they were all eaten up by the harsh soil at this site. Everything from this site is in terrible condition unless it’s silver. We each also dug a 13.7 mm (cuff size) Rifleman’s button, War of 1812 era. This was my first one piece Rifleman’s button so that was kinda cool. Unfortunately the ground action removed a lot of detail from the faces. I included a picture from Albert’s book to show what they would have looked like.

Attachments

• a.11-23-14 Dirty.JPG
    a.11-23-14 Dirty.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 129
  • b.11-23-14 Clean.JPG
    b.11-23-14 Clean.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 134
  • c.Button Book.JPG
    c.Button Book.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 127
  • d.Rifleman Fron1.JPG
    d.Rifleman Fron1.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 133
  • e.Rifleman Front.JPG
    e.Rifleman Front.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 134
  • f.Rifleman Back.JPG
    f.Rifleman Back.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 121
Upvote 14

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta take advantage of the weather while we can. I heard a big storms rolling in. Toasted coppers are better than none at all. The rifle mans buttons is a great find.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Congrats on the buttons Steve. Hope you are able to get out another time or 2 before the snows shut you down.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The rifleman buttons are wonderful finds. Congratulations.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice three copper day, I still have not had a two copper day, the riffleman's buttons are very nice. Good luck on finding the rest of the spigot.

IMG_20141102_133534.jpg

Coinman123,

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice three copper day, I still have not had a two copper day, the riffleman's buttons are very nice. Good luck on finding the rest of the spigot.

View attachment 1084257

Coinman123,
There was a tavern on the site, so a number of spigot parts have turned up. But these fields are also cultivated, and though they haven't been plowed in several years, the chances of finding a complete spigot are slim.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice stuff there Steve. I've never dug one of those rifleman buttons before. Too bad the soil was so harsh on those.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great buttons Steve. Never seen em before. Looks like quite a site bud. If only every site could have friendly soil. We can't control that part though. Great hunt bud

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great save in my book and one to add to your collection

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I agree that the only thing worse than digging toasted old coppers is digging none at all. It's great knowing they are old, but frustrating to not know HOW old. Great saves on all.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I agree that the only thing worse than digging toasted old coppers is digging none at all. It's great knowing they are old, but frustrating to not know HOW old. Great saves on all.
OD, even though the coppers are always toast on this site and many can't be identified at all, there is a lot of early silver here. I have dug 34 coppers and 15 silvers dated between 1761 and 1830, including an 1803 Draped Bust dime. Very few early sites in Pennsylvania have that kind of copper/silver ratio. So I will keep going back and hopefully the farmer will plow some day.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Coppers are what make us dream and want. Who cares if you dunno what they are. They're wicked old and wicked sexy! Pass 'Em my way and I'll give them a good feelin' up. Lol.

Lol. By honestly, nice finds and nice coppers

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coppers are what make us dream and want. Who cares if you dunno what they are. They're wicked old and wicked sexy! Pass 'Em my way and I'll give them a good feelin' up. Lol.

Lol. By honestly, nice finds and nice coppers
Haha! Scrappy you are right about that. Nothing like seeing the big green disc laying in the dirt or sticking out of a clod of dirt :hello2:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Par for the course, I guess with old coppers, many are like that.

At least you got out, and did find a button not found before. I haven't been out in 3 weeks...I won't find anything doing that.
About the button, not knowing, and looking at it I would have guessed bugler. (sp)

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Par for the course, I guess with old coppers, many are like that.

At least you got out, and did find a button not found before. I haven't been out in 3 weeks...I won't find anything doing that.
About the button, not knowing, and looking at it I would have guessed bugler. (sp)
Rick, that is technically a "hunting horn" and was the symbol of the US Rifleman in the early days of the US Armed Forces. I had always wanted to find a one piece rifleman's button, now I just need to find a nicer one!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread