expect the unexpected

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Another awesome day of detecting!
First with the weather, for the most part sunny and plus temps, I think I even detected in my shirt for a few minutes!, which almost never happens this time of year; second, although the day wasn't full of finds, I did make a find that I haven't seen in a long while...a Spanish cob!
Iron Patch and I are keeping to our haphazard plan of trying known sites and trying a couple new fields, and checking out a few mid 1800 sites that are available.
Not to much left at the old places anymore, but after the plough has gone through a time or two, a few good ones come out and everybody is happy. While hunting an old British site, I found a cob in an area where I was able to get a few signals.I personally can't remember seeing a cob from a known British site, only early French ones, so that's new. The rest of the day was spent finding much of the same bits and pieces that we normally see, buttons, buckles, and few green discs to boot, one is a Hibernia copper.

So having a day this nice in the fall and finding a cob, I didn't expect that; but that's detecting...

Attachments

• gs.JPG
    gs.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 150
  • c1.JPG
    c1.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 158
  • c2.JPG
    c2.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 139
Upvote 25

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's something special about those old pieces of silver popping out of the ground! Here's hoping mother nature gives us a reprieve and we can all get a few more hunts in this year.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job.
That's another one of the top ten's

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats to you, IH. I read IP's post first, so it's funny thinking you barely beat him to it, lol. Great job!

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Good job.
That's another one of the top ten's

It took me ten years to find a cob, and another ten for this one!
Top ten I guess, if the universe only gives me one every ten years I guess I'll have to take it, but I suppose I can't demand one if I don't

We might only strike one or two from the list , but getting one Spanish a year is tough enough, let alone a cob, it's the two birds with one stone kind of thing

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It took me ten years to find a cob, and another ten for this one! Top ten I guess, if the universe only gives me one every ten years I guess I'll have to take it, but I suppose I can't demand one if I don't We might only strike one or two from the list , but getting one Spanish a year is tough enough, let alone a cob, it's the two birds with one stone kind of thing
I guess you just have to think of the large percentage of hunters who will never find one. That kind of puts it into perspective and with all of your other great finds you e certainly proven you are damn good with a detector. I only hope to someday have a finds list like you and IP

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
I guess you just have to think of the large percentage of hunters who will never find one. That kind of puts it into perspective and with all of your other great finds you e certainly proven you are damn good with a detector. I only hope to someday have a finds list like you and IP

You know when I started detecting twenty or so years ago, I didn't have the computer technology and networks of forums and resources of the Internet (thank you google) at least you got that going for ya, I just used to go detecting in the ground, no you can go vicariously detecting anywhere anytime and have lots of people giving away help and information, life has changed with the combination of computers and detecting, they give you an advantage without a doubt
give yourself a couple of years and you will see yourself accumulate more finds and knowledge, it's a marathon not a sprint

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've found quite a few, but it's certainly the type of thing you can't expect, and if luck didn't go your way maybe never again. I've now proved how long someone can go without an silver coin, so it would be pretty easy for a cob to escape you forever... even at the older sites. It was the first we've found that was not from a French area, and 1 in all the digging we've did forever doesn't give much hope, and it's very hard to find new French sites so that makes it tough to. We do have a new French area to go back to so I'd say we have a little shot in the next year, but after that all bets are off.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, that was certainly a surprise! ...and Romeo it was found at the Hibernicus fields we hunted.... the first one where we found the patch of iron, dug a few buttons but not a whole lot.Remember I said I had a feeling to go back there this Fall. We never even made it to the higher field to the main site, and in hind sight wish we had stayed around there for the day.

zkpn2u.jpg
Very nice ironhorse,:thumbsup: always like them little shiny silver pieces! Ip if that aint the classic set up for a old site from space I don't know what is.Rather the fields are still there or not you can always count on the little creek & the point where it meets the large body of water.That's a picture that could be put in a colonial relic hunters hand book.:laughing7:

Last edited:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet half real cob! I love the big, sloppy Mexico City Mintmark.

Excellent that you've been given a bit of a reprieve from the weather! Congrats,

Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread