expect the unexpected

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Another awesome day of detecting!
First with the weather, for the most part sunny and plus temps, I think I even detected in my shirt for a few minutes!, which almost never happens this time of year; second, although the day wasn't full of finds, I did make a find that I haven't seen in a long while...a Spanish cob!
Iron Patch and I are keeping to our haphazard plan of trying known sites and trying a couple new fields, and checking out a few mid 1800 sites that are available.
Not to much left at the old places anymore, but after the plough has gone through a time or two, a few good ones come out and everybody is happy. While hunting an old British site, I found a cob in an area where I was able to get a few signals.I personally can't remember seeing a cob from a known British site, only early French ones, so that's new. The rest of the day was spent finding much of the same bits and pieces that we normally see, buttons, buckles, and few green discs to boot, one is a Hibernia copper.

So having a day this nice in the fall and finding a cob, I didn't expect that; but that's detecting...

Attachments

• gs.JPG
    gs.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 150
  • c1.JPG
    c1.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 158
  • c2.JPG
    c2.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 139
Upvote 25

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck yeah! That's one heck of a hunt Ironhorse. Nothing gets me motivated more than seeing people dig cobs. Congrats

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn buddy that sounds and looks like a great day. Those cobs are the coolest coins. Let us know what the green ones turn out to be buddy

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen those dug right in front of me and IP dug one on my GGGGGGrand Daddy's land and I still wait for mine…A well deserved find there buddy! If the hunting ends this week, you've made your year along with your token...

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen those dug right in front of me and IP dug one on my GGGGGGrand Daddy's land and I still wait for mine…A well deserved find there buddy! If the hunting ends this week, you've made your year along with your token...
You let a guy in spandex and a cape do that? Lol that's just terrible :-)

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the season ends today, you've ended on a sweet note!

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
If hunting ends this week, there's always another outside chance of going, but from what I'm hearing, it ain't getting any easier

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Imagine you'll be smiling for a while with digging the Cob, congrats on the find and hope the weather gives a few small windows of hope yet this season.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great hunt! Spanish silver is not a bad way to end the season.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coppers and a Cobb awesome! The plow must like you, look what it's throwing your way!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, that was certainly a surprise! ...and Romeo it was found at the Hibernicus fields we hunted.... the first one where we found the patch of iron, dug a few buttons but not a whole lot.Remember I said I had a feeling to go back there this Fall. We never even made it to the higher field to the main site, and in hind sight wish we had stayed around there for the day.

zkpn2u.jpg

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's sweet IH...if the season is over that's the way to go out! I remember that field only too well...

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Love the cob man! You did quite well on the coppers and other goodies too. Great hunt!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Heck yeah! That's one heck of a hunt Ironhorse. Nothing gets me motivated more than seeing people dig cobs. Congrats

Nicely said by the cob-man himself. How many have you dug in the last 2-3 years Joey??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions