Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. You think you're nuts? Look what I hunted in this morning lol!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417030084.257796.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417030139.159859.jpg

I got permission last week to hunt some new fields, and with the weatherman saying a few inches of snow, I had to go scout a bit. I just got a new Sampson shovel too and wanted to break it in. I am impressed with it. Awesome digger!
When I arrived at the fields, it was really just starting to snow. 2 - 2 1/2 hours later, there was a little over a couple inches of sticky wet stuff. Really made swinging the coil hard to do as it was very heavy and sticking to the stock coil. Finds were definitely not impressive at all, but did find my first bird band if that is what it is.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417030673.743903.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417030719.007144.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Upvote 10

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pun intended? Lol. Thanks. Yeah, I think I might be a bit hooked:laughing7:
That may have been a little jab at you O.D. At least you proved that you haven't totally gone off the deep end yet :laughing7:

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok here we go....I SLEEP WITH MY TREE COIN! Ahhhhhhhh it feels good to get that confession off my chest
Hey to each their own

Who am I kidding I'd do the same lol!!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave here is my bird band, called it in and got a certificate telling me about the black duck it was on and where they tagged him.
20141126_172529.jpg

Nice work, I did allot of snow hunting last winter! Good luck.

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Brad and Abe for your examples. I think Abe is right about it being some type electrical wire tag.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My birdband was from a Terradactyl from the days of the dinosaurs. My oldest find for sure. But I don't sleep with that find lol

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You're a tough old bird OD-LOL. The best thing you found was your way home in that mess-LOL. When it's in your blood my friend, you just gotta go. I dug a breastplate one day when the the wind chill was about 9 degrees. HH & HT, Q.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd bust on ya for going out in that but who am I kidding if I wasn't doing overtime today I wouldve been right there w ya!

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd bust on ya for going out in that but who am I kidding if I wasn't doing overtime today I wouldve been right there w ya!

I wish you had been, lol. I felt like I wasn't accomplishing anything. The stalks aren't knocked down, so you're limited to one row per pass. These are decent sized fields in case you couldn't tell in the screenshot I sent you last week. I looked on an 1800's map and it didn't show if they were fields then or not. It just showed that area and gave the area name it was known as during that period.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish you had been, lol. I felt like I wasn't accomplishing anything. The stalks aren't knocked down, so you're limited to one row per pass. These are decent sized fields in case you couldn't tell in the screenshot I sent you last week. I looked on an 1800's map and it didn't show if they were fields then or not. It just showed that area and gave the area name it was known as during that period.

HMMMM interesting, well maybe if the snow goes away before a deep freeze I may b able to get out

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You deserved a banner find for going out in that mess, and I applaud your dedication. A healthy addiction as long as you don't come down with the flu!

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You deserved a banner find for going out in that mess, and I applaud your dedication. A healthy addiction as long as you don't come down with the flu!

Thanks SC. The reason I left was my coat was soaked completely and I could feel my shirt under it was getting wet too. The temp was 33 when I got there, so it wasn't bad at all until I got wet. I see you live in Georgia, so it might not be apparent, but in the north, we start getting a little anxious in winter because we know we are going to be shut down completely for 3 - 4 months. 25 or 33% is a big chunk of time to lose when you're an addict, lol!

frojones

May 3, 2014
Wise, VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got my snow pants ready! I dread the thought of not being able to go hunting just because of snow, so when winter sets in I'm gonna layer up and go at it! The only worry I have is that my hands can't handle the cold for very long, even with the best gloves. I think I have raynaud's /: A good dig is worth the pain though!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That may be a a tag from an animal trap. I have found some before.

Yeah Dave check with Fish and Game, he might be right. I'm leaning more towards a electrical tag, but Fingerlakes might be on to something.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image-1407148137.jpg

image-2625777192.jpg

Trees down everywhere. No power........AWESOME :-)
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone

OP
OP
Old Dude

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Happy Thanksgiving to all from northeast Pa too. Hope your power comes on soon Abe!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417100198.251272.jpg

Thanks to all for the replies. Most trap tags here are copper. I suppose they could have been aluminum back in the day though. I think that " EQY " is on electrical tags for some reason?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions